Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Help me pick what I will read next

I want to start reading another book, but I'm undecided which one. Which one would you choose to read first, among these?

- On Basilisk Station, by David Weber
- 1632, by Eric Flint
- Altered Carbon, by Richard Morgan
- Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb
- The Stand, by Stephen King
- Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow
- The Sword of Shannara, by Terry Brooks

*sigh*, I really should only buy a book at a time, but now it's done. Those are my options now. What would you recommend me?

Context: it'll be the book i will be (slowly) reading during my trip to Africa.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Stand is my favorite book so that's my vote. I'm saving my next read of it for the winter months when I curl up by the fireplace and get lost in the story.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Little Brother. I really enjoyed it and it's a quick read.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I want to start reading another book, but I'm undecided which one. Which one would you choose to read first, among these?

- 1632, by Eric Flint

*sigh*, I really should only buy a book at a time, but now it's done. Those are my options now. What would you recommend me?

Definitely "The Stand" I'm with Daffy on this one. Read it slowly, pay attention to the characters, and enjoy.....His best book ever, IMHO........and I know there are those out there who disagree.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just noticed the "Africa" note. Maybe you could find a book that relates to the area you're traveling in. Educational and Entertaining!
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I guess The Stand got more votes, so that will be the one I'll read. Sounds good, as it was the first ebook I bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just noticed the "Africa" note. Maybe you could find a book that relates to the area you're traveling in. Educational and Entertaining!
I've already done that. It's educational, and it helps to ejoy the trip even more.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I don't care for Steven King, so I haven't read The Stand and won't recommend it. I really enjoyed On Basilisk Station and Little Brother.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I don't care for Steven King, so I haven't read The Stand and won't recommend it. I really enjoyed On Basilisk Station and Little Brother.
How about you *can't* recommend it because you haven't read it.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

- 1632, by Eric Flint

I recently finished Assassin's Apprentice annd The Stand. I've also read The Sword of Shannara. All three are good books to read. So go for either of those as a starter book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

Be aware that On Basilisk Station and 1632 are both the first books in a series. Either is a dandy read, but you probably want to get the others as well if you are going on an extended trip.

They are available in Mobipocket from the Baen Free Library, here.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Be aware that On Basilisk Station and 1632 are both the first books in a series. Either is a dandy read, but you probably want to get the others as well if you are going on an extended trip.
"Assassin's Apprentice" is the first book of a trilogy too ... well, the story continues in a later released different trilogy, but it's some years after the original trilogy.
I'm a fan of Robin Hobb's books by the way and "Assassin's Apprentice" is a nice start.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Agree with about 'The Stand'. It is definitely King's best.

I'm about 100 pages into 1632 and, so far, like it a lot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
If you tried to read it, you might really find you enjoy it. I would even be willing to send you a copy (on loan) to prove my point. I will be honest, and say I can't stand what he's written lately. In the last few years. BUT that being said, he has written some outstanding stuff........feel free to pm me if you'd like.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If you tried to read it, you might really find you enjoy it. I would even be willing to send you a copy (on loan) to prove my point. I will be honest, and say I can't stand what he's written lately. In the last few years. BUT that being said, he has written some outstanding stuff........feel free to pm me if you'd like.
Count me as another who is not a Stephen King fan.

I have enormous respect for him. He is arguably the best at what he does. You can make a case that Stephen King is responsible for Horror being broken out as a separate publishing category. (And I understand he was urged by an agent early on to branch out, and avoid being typecast as a horror writer. His response was roughly "So? That's fine by me! Horror is what I want to write!")

But I don't care for King (or Koontz, Straub, Barker or the rest) because the emotions horror is designed to induce are not ones I like to feel. My SO reads Horror, and occasionally comments "That was a scary book!" And I've no doubt it was, but being scared has never been something I liked or wanted to feel deliberately.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Count me as another who is not a Stephen King fan.

I have enormous respect for him. He is arguably the best at what he does. You can make a case that Stephen King is responsible for Horror being broken out as a separate publishing category. (And I understand he was urged by an agent early on to branch out, and avoid being typecast as a horror writer. His response was roughly "So? That's fine by me! Horror is what I want to write!")

But I don't care for King (or Koontz, Straub, Barker or the rest) because the emotions horror is designed to induce are not ones I like to feel. My SO reads Horror, and occasionally comments "That was a scary book!" And I've no doubt it was, but being scared has never been something I liked or wanted to feel deliberately.
______
Dennis
The Stand is not just a scary book. If you think all he writes is "scary", then I don't think you've read enough of his books. A lot of his books are more than "scary" although some are just plain "scary" ( Pet Cemetery ).

To me The Stand is on par with adventures like The Lord of Rings. It's almost like a biblical story. The biggest things I took away from the book were hope and faith, not just in God but in humankind.

Tags
duck!