Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Tunney
Tunney began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, & nook
Neat solution for a misbehaving reader screen

Here is a neat trick I discovered on the reader screen.
As I use the reader screen a lot for annotating text, I was getting a little frustrated with those places on the screen where no matter how much I re-calibrate, the line making is just bizarre. Luckily, most of the screen is good, but I'll be in the middle of correcting a text, or a line, when suddenly, what I am writing in english looks more like alien space language.
Then I discovered the "rectangle select" tool--it changes everything!
For example--I want to write the word I want to insert above the printed word. I try to write it normally, but it comes out terrible because that particular part of the screen (always close to the margin) is permanently wacky. Well, I go to a clean part of the screen, write out the word I want to insert (or proofreading symbol, or whatever). The I go to the menu, click on tools, then from the tool menu, I select "rectangle select". With the stylus, I then "make a rectangle" over the hand written word. Then, with the stylus, I just move the handwritten word over to the wacky part of the screen, and I position it exactly where it should go.
It works really well! And now I am able to write whatever I want on any part of the e-ink page!
If your PE is acting funky on the eReader side when in annotate mode, you might want to try this. Made a big difference for me.
I hope this helps someone out there--many of you have been really kind in my own questions about the PE--I was hoping to find a way to give it back and pay it forward as well!
Cheers,
Tunney

Last edited by Tunney; 10-16-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Tunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I've run into this quite a few times, nice work around. Thanks for sharing.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Cool! I would not have thought of that. Thank you, Tunney!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Brilliant!! Thanks!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
rjh007
rjh007 began at the beginning.

Device: Glaxay note 10.1
Possible explanation for the blank spaces on the reader side

Recently I have updated to Ermine and obviously I have most of the "bugs" the have plagued some people. The most serious of these for me is the fact I had 1 to 1.5 inch blank space down the middle of the reader when annotating

Since then I have experimented with
1. different papers
2. different pens
3. portrait or landscape

Nothing really worked, I tried the calibration writing as normal and calibrated many many times. One thing I did notice was the space moved in position and shape depending on calibration

So I approached it logically and cross hatched the entire reader with lines. This mapped the area effected. It was insightful, I recognised the shape!!!

I do not know how everybody writes but with me the side of my hand rests on the paper with the fingers curling round the pen. With writing the hand slides across the paper while the fingers map the shape of the letter.

So the shape I saw on the reader was an outline of the side my hand!!! I know this for a fact since my 4 year old helped me draw one on a piece of paper and cut it out, it was quite a good line up actually.

So how did this happen? Going to the calibration screen, when you start calibrating it goes the traditional way - left to right and top to bottom. So the first point you do is the furthest from you. If you write normally you cannot help but lightly rest your hand on the reader as you touch the point. That does it, not matter how carefully you do the rest of the calibration that first point plus hand image dictates how the calibration goes from then on.

(I think have to qualify this statement by saying I have the set-up of the tablet on the left; reader on the right, I find it a more natural situation)

So if this is right if you carefully calibrate from a 90 vertical position, no hand pressure or even shadow on the reader (taking no chances) this should cure the problem. No such luck!!!

The reader does not replace a calibration previously performed, I believe it updates it but retains the previous values. To cure the problem I have outlined above I have re-calibrated the reader side nearly 35 -40 times in the last day, testing each time carefully for effect. I have even rebooted the system between every 5.
I found the the space is decreasing slowly and function is returning to the effected area's Its not gone yet and I expect it might never disappear completely but it way better than before. I would be interested to hear if the same procedure would work for others.

One other possible solution therefore is to go back to dingo, and then update with ermine again, but what ever you do do not touch the reader side with anything during the whole process!!. But this process is risky considering all the things that can go wrong!!

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to make sure everybody understood the background behind my problem and solution. I really hope it helps

tired but happier, now all I have to do is get the camera working!! and find a solution to the hibernation problem

RJH
rjh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Very strange in deed RJH especially since the wacom digitiser of the e-ink screen is designed NOT to do what you are seeing.

The only thing that would make it respond in the way you describe is if your hand was a tuned resonant circuit *or* you have somehow managed to get an experimental unit with a non wacom screen.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
rjh007

well I can only report what I see, and the more calibrations I do the better it gets.
I am up to 70+ now bandits working pretty well on plain paper and fine pen. but if my hand rests on the screen during writing I get spaces.

do you know of any way I can determine what make, model of wink screen I have? it help others to knowledge

best regards

rjh
Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt
Very strange in deed RJH especially since the wacom digitiser of the e-ink screen is designed NOT to do what you are seeing. The only thing that would make it respond in the way you describe is if your hand was a tuned resonant circuit *or* you have somehow managed to get an experimental unit with a non wacom screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh007 View Post
I am up to 70+ now bandits working pretty well on plain paper and fine pen. but if my hand rests on the screen during writing I get spaces.
Could it be the type of watch or jewelry do you wear on your writing hand?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
rjh007

Afraid not, I do not wear either a watch or jewelry. I am thinking ivanjt is partially correct in a way. I think it is something to do either with the model of the reader or how it has been constructed.

I have performed so many calibrations now that the reader side annotation is working perfectly on all settings except landscape. However, I have noticed that you must be extremely careful how you write, for me only the pen can touch the screen at all and ideally nothing else must be in contact or closer that 0.3 cm of the screen surface. Then everything works fine, if not then I get spaces.

I personnelly would say that upon reflecting maybe the sensitivity settings have be set to high and the internal wiring connections are not the highest quality. This still doesn't explain why on Dingo its was functioning well but in ermine it plays up, but as long as I obey a few simple rules I can use it with ermine and not have to go back to dingo.

best regards

RJH