Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
scooterfrog
Enthusiast
scooterfrog began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
sync across multple devices take 2

this is a restart of an old thread but here we go anyways

I have 4 devices (ipod touch, ipad,android phone, dellstreak 7)
so 2 tablets, 2handhelds.
and 4 people who read,
I convert all my books to epub using calibre, I get many from the dark underbelly of "teh interwebs"
on the ipad /pod I like ibooks and the sync capability

I saw th efbsync program but I am not sure I like fb reader.

is there reader the will allow me to sync across all devices with like whisper net, or ibooks.
except for my OWN content.
I would be happy to use my drop box account and even down load my "latest position" if need be (or use an android sync tool like drop sync.
it does not need to be free,
WHY oh WHY can't there be ibooks for android.
scooterfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

kindle app with mobi?

hello a couple of hours searching reveals that the kindle app may be the answer if I change form epub to mobi, at least for android and ipad.

no matter what I will be side loading the books to the device

it seems like converting to a mobi in caliblre creates a fake set of meta data to trick amazon from syncing furthest read. (that's all I want)

for the ipod... I need to get the files in a different directory then they get to when synced with itunes.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Just started this earlier this thread earlier this week: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147616
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

I saw that but I really want to use the readers when no connected to the web. (airplane)
I tried ibis in the past and it wasn't doing it for me.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

well calibre converted mobis sync between one android device and kindle for PC. but no go on the ipad.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

do I need to put the mobis on the ipad using iphone explorer and not itunes
wil lthe same work of the ipad
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterfrog View Post
do I need to put the mobis on the ipad using iphone explorer and not itunes
wil lthe same work of the ipad
Since you're using Calibre, you might want to take this question to the Calibre forum (if you haven't already). I bet you'll get an answer right away from someone there. Good luck!
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
joseph.carty
joseph.carty began at the beginning.

Device: Android
can you please explain how to use calibre and kindle to do this and how it worked for you?
You just convert to mobi with calibre then place in kindle file? Do you have to have anything else? Will this sync books that are not available on Amazon? I was under the impression that it wouldn't.
joseph.carty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph.carty View Post
can you please explain how to use calibre and kindle to do this and how it worked for you?
You just convert to mobi with calibre then place in kindle file? Do you have to have anything else? Will this sync books that are not available on Amazon? I was under the impression that it wouldn't.
Kindle firmware 3.3 will now allow you to sync "personal documents" (i.e., sideloaded books) across devices.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph.carty View Post
I don't have a Kindle, but books converted to mobi in calibre sync as well as any books purchased via Amazon. You only have to do the same steps on the Kindle you would to sync any other book you have.

The only caveat is you need to use a version of calibre after this feature was installed. As long as you have a current version, no worries.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

There are basically two methods now. The first method uses Calibre, and will work for any ebook that doesn't have DRM. The second method stays entirely within the Amazon system and will also work for any ebook that doesn't have (non-Amazon) DRM, as well as for any Amazon DRM'ed book.

If you use Calibre, import the book into Calibre, and convert it to Mobi format. (If it's a Mobi book you've had for a while, you should re-convert it since it needs to have been converted to Mobi in Calibre since a particular version to make the sync work. If it doubt, just re-convert it -- no harm done.)

Then transfer the book to your Kindle and/or to any device on which you have the Kindle app. Now you can read the book on one device, put it down and pick up another device and go to the same page you were on with the other device. You do need to have an Internet connection on when you finish in one location and take up in another, since it syncs back to the Amazon server to update the last page read.

When you go to the 2d device, if it doesn't automatically find the last page read on the first device and ask if you want to go there, find the menu option that allows you to sync. It should happen then.

The other method: Amazon recently instituted a change in the way it handles personal documents, which could include non-Amazon books. When you email these documents to your Amazon email address, the documents stay on the Amazon server (and on your devices), and will be synced across devices the way any Amazon ebook is.

The advantage of the Amazon method is that (I believe) your annotations will sync too, and they won't using the Calibre method. The advantage of the Calibre method is that you have the power of Calibre to organize your books. A disadvantage of the Amazon method is the privacy issue of having all your books/documents there. That matters to some people, and not to others. You could also use both methods, and end up with a free cloud backup space at Amazon.

None of this will work for books that have non-Amazon DRM.

It's great to have different ways of doing this. I plan to stick with use of Calibre alone, since that's working fine for me. (I use SugarSync for backup.)
Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Juliepac
Juliepac began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, ipad, android phone
Statch,

Please help! What do you mean by "None of this will work for books that have non-Amazon DRM". You gave an excellent explanation, but personal docs do not have amazon drm. So, all the explanation just to say that it will work only with purchased books from amazon?
Sorry if my poor english made me misunderstand what you said. I really need this working through my devices.
Thanks so much.

Juliana.
Juliepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepac
So, all the explanation just to say that it will work only with purchased books from amazon?
No. That's not what it says.

It will work with documents that have A) Amazon DRM or B) No DRM. But it will not work for documents that have some other form of (non-Amazon) DRM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Juliepac
Juliepac began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, ipad, android phone
DiapDealer,

Thanks so much for the fast reply. Sorry Statch for my mistake.

Best!
Juliepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Statch
Connoisseur

No problem at all, Juliepac. It's a confusing subject!

Tags
android, apple, sync