Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Let's Talk SPENSER! (Robert B. Parker)

I'm a huge Parker fan, loving Spenser, Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall books - but just got around to the very first Spenser novel, THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT.

I like all the Spenser books I've read so far, but now I see what Amazon reviewers mean by how Spenser changed with the addition of Susan. In the early days he was very tough and not very discriminating about the ladies. In the first book, he beds a mother and daughter on the same day, and he also kicks some formidable ass so it's an exhausting day. Fun stuff!

What do you think about the evolution of Spenser?
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
I'm a huge Parker fan, loving Spenser, Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall books - but just got around to the very first Spenser novel, THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT.

I like all the Spenser books I've read so far, but now I see what Amazon reviewers mean by how Spenser changed with the addition of Susan. In the early days he was very tough and not very discriminating about the ladies. In the first book, he beds a mother and daughter on the same day, and he also kicks some formidable ass so it's an exhausting day. Fun stuff!

What do you think about the evolution of Spenser?
I started reading Spenser in high school and liked the character. Sometimes he's a bit much -- pretentious, unbeatable, with women dropping at his feet, and Susan adoring him. But the writing, character and story lines hold up, which is saying a lot, with the number of books that Parker wrote. I would've liked to read a series based on Hawk, too.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Well Robert B. Parker is one of my all time faves.
I read Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall but for me it is all about Spenser.
Spenser is an original and Jesse Stone seems almost like a Dave Robichaux knock off with Sunny Randall a tad reminiscent of Stuart Woods.

Reading is like beauty, all in the eyes of the beholder.
I think Spenser met Susan in one of the first 3 books but was indiscrimanantely 'knocking off' whatever hit his fancy for maybe the next 15 or twenty. With various justifications of course.

More interesting to me was the character developement of Hawk, Quirke, Vince et. al. Perhaps because I am a woman and am interested in the male perspective on male bonding.

I also like his western series, Wyatt Earp, Virgil Cole etc.
Totally different in some ways but that same dry men must be men style that made him an icon.

Sad day for me when I read his obit

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I like with the Spencer stories si that they take place locally. So I do know about the places Parker writes about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I started reading Spenser in high school and liked the character. Sometimes he's a bit much -- pretentious, unbeatable, with women dropping at his feet, and Susan adoring him. But the writing, character and story lines hold up, which is saying a lot, with the number of books that Parker wrote. I would've liked to read a series based on Hawk, too.
Yeah, a series based on Hawk woulda been cool - my husband loves Hawk too!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Well Robert B. Parker is one of my all time faves.
I read Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall but for me it is all about Spenser.
Spenser is an original and Jesse Stone seems almost like a Dave Robichaux knock off with Sunny Randall a tad reminiscent of Stuart Woods.

Reading is like beauty, all in the eyes of the beholder.
I think Spenser met Susan in one of the first 3 books but was indiscrimanantely 'knocking off' whatever hit his fancy for maybe the next 15 or twenty. With various justifications of course.

More interesting to me was the character developement of Hawk, Quirke, Vince et. al. Perhaps because I am a woman and am interested in the male perspective on male bonding.

I also like his western series, Wyatt Earp, Virgil Cole etc.
Totally different in some ways but that same dry men must be men style that made him an icon.

Sad day for me when I read his obit

Helen
That was a sad day for me too Helen, and I'll miss him for a long, long time! Good to know that you like his westerns - haven't gotten to them yet.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I like with the Spencer stories si that they take place locally. So I do know about the places Parker writes about.
I've been to Boston a couple of times and recognize a few places - must be nice to be really familiar with the territory!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I love the Boston flavour. I've only read Godwulf Manuscript (which is delightful and so much a thing of its time) and Mortal Stakes. I have another half dozen in the hopper but I want to savour them so I'm reading several other things in between.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I read them in order, and quit after about number ten. I felt that the first one was great, and that each succeeding one was a little bit worse than the one before.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I love the Boston flavour. I've only read Godwulf Manuscript (which is delightful and so much a thing of its time) and Mortal Stakes. I have another half dozen in the hopper but I want to savour them so I'm reading several other things in between.
I'll probably read Mortal Stakes next, since God Save The Child (Spenser #2) is not yet available in the Kindle Store.

Last edited by TC Beacham; 09-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I read them in order, and quit after about number ten. I felt that the first one was great, and that each succeeding one was a little bit worse than the one before.
Guess I'm in for a treat because I started with the more recent ones.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, a series based on Hawk woulda been cool - my husband loves Hawk too!
Actually, there was a series based on Hawk. It was a short lived TV series title A Man Called Hawk. It ran for just 13 episodes.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've been to Boston a couple of times and recognize a few places - must be nice to be really familiar with the territory!
Yes it is. I do like knowing the places Spenser is or has been to. Boston is quite a nice place to live.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes it is. I do like knowing the places Spenser is or has been to. Boston is quite a nice place to live.
I find Boston very pleasant, but for the snow.

I didn't know about the Hawk TV series, but I'd rather read about him as the primary character -- the better to delve into what makes him tick. For me, that's one of the best things about books -- getting a glimpse of what might be in others' heads.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I find Boston very pleasant, but for the snow.

I didn't know about the Hawk TV series, but I'd rather read about him as the primary character -- the better to delve into what makes him tick. For me, that's one of the best things about books -- getting a glimpse of what might be in others' heads.
You get used to the snow pretty quick. It's not really that much of a bother.

I fully understand why you'd want books as opposed to a TV series.

So now we have Spenser dead and his maker dead too.