Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
When a book is already added...

When a book is already in the library, and I add the same book again, what will happen? I mean, if it has the same title, and just the content has changed. Can I make calibre automatically replace the old version with the new?

I also ask what happens when I import a book with the same title, but different author, already in the library. It just warns me - I hope nothing changes or anything, and when I click OK it's added as I want it to be, right?

And I also have a question about sorting - when I click on a column, it sorts. But there is one exception - the author tab. When I click on the author tab, I expect them to be sorted by author, alphabetically. Calibre does not do this. What is happening? I do not even understand what they are being sorted by! And can I make calibre sort it like that?

Thanks

Last edited by darkmonk; 03-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
When you add the same book again, or even a different book with the same title, you'll get the warning. If you say no, the book won't be added. If you say yes, it'll just add a new database entry for that book with the same title.

If you actually want to replace an existing book, you'll want to delete it from the database, then drag the new file you want to be that book in. If you want to add a new format of a book to an existing database entry, you need to "edit metadata" and go into the upper right and add the "copy" of the new format of the book there.

The author tab is sorting via the "Author Sort" field, which is the same as the Author field if it doesn't exist. The sorting is probably last name first. If you click on two fields in a row, it'll sort first by the second field, subsorted by the first field.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
When you add the same book again, or even a different book with the same title, you'll get the warning. If you say no, the book won't be added. If you say yes, it'll just add a new database entry for that book with the same title.

If you actually want to replace an existing book, you'll want to delete it from the database, then drag the new file you want to be that book in. If you want to add a new format of a book to an existing database entry, you need to "edit metadata" and go into the upper right and add the "copy" of the new format of the book there.

The author tab is sorting via the "Author Sort" field, which is the same as the Author field if it doesn't exist. The sorting is probably last name first. If you click on two fields in a row, it'll sort first by the second field, subsorted by the first field.
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I'm currently regreting even more at my decision to name my books straight forward-like - I do realise now the author sort is sorting by last names. I son't know why I didn't realise it - it makes me a bit mad at myself, really.
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote