Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
junke1990
junke1990 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color with Android, Sony PRS-T1, Onyx T68
Calibre server on (headless no X) sheevaplug

Hey Guys,

I'm seeing a lot of guides about how to set a server up headless but while trying I'm getting the question to install the X server environment. Is there anyway to avoid this?

I'm trying to get it to run on a sheevaplug (ARM) with debian running on it.

Thanks!
junke1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Calibre, even the command line tools, requires X. You can use xvfb as a minimal alternative.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
junke1990
junke1990 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color with Android, Sony PRS-T1, Onyx T68
This isn't meant as bashing Calibre, don't get me wrong I love it! And I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why?

I can't really imagine why Calibre-server would requires X, in my logic I would split up the packages, client and server so only the client would require X and I would be able to run the server on a headless machine without X.

Especially with the amount of package manager these days it wouldn't be that horrible for a simple end-user to click (possibly in the client) "install server too".

Last edited by junke1990; 11-21-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: forget a n't
junke1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think it is the fact that the Qt libraries that are used by Calibre require X (at least a minimal subset) to be present.

I know that there have been discussions in other threads where it is pointed out that Qt is used for more than maintaining the GUI, and so it is not (currently at least) possible to remove the requirement to have at least a minimal X capability even for the command line tools.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
I run Calibre on a headless server. As noted, you can install xvfb and be done with it. You'll still be able to run all the tools as command-line only.
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Any X program is already client/server. (Although the client/server orientation may surprise you. X apps on the remote machine request the X server in front of you to draw things.)

I run calibre on my home machine and display it at work. You don't need an X server on your sheevaplug. You need to understand how to remotely access X apps and you need an X server on the machine you want to access them from.

Google turns up this sheeva-specific page. http://computingplugs.com/index.php/Installing_X11

At first glance that page looks like overkill, though.

Last edited by tlc; 11-30-2011 at 03:36 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
deckoff
deckoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is X server still required for calibre-server?
I want to run calibre on my My BookLive - a NFS with dedian lenny, and I am not quite sure what will happen if I install X server to it.
Has anyone ever tried it?
deckoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nox headless arm server