Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Kindle Textbook Rentals!

** Oops, didn't see the other topic on it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1286228011

- You can save up to 80% off the list price.
- Can be read on any device that supports the Kindle App.
- Kindle textbooks can typically be rented for any length between 30 to 360 days – you pay only for the time you need and can extend or buy anytime.

Looks interesting, that is, if some of your books are available in Kindle format. My sister had to pay five hundred dollars for all her books last semester- I'm going to tell her to try this out.

Can anyone else see themselves renting ebooks?

Last edited by Anarel; 07-18-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: My bad eyesight.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
that's terrific!
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
No, but I can see myself downloading them from the lightnet DRM free. This is knowledge after all. Schools could just factor in a textbook cost to tuition though, could be good I suppose.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
I wouldn't come near to a non-PDF textbook, especially in Math/Science.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Can anyone else see themselves renting ebooks?
Yes but probably not from Amazon, although I'll need to check the prices first assuming we get the service in the UK?

I've used Safari books online in the past. For $10 per month, you get 5 books to read. So unless Amazon can get the price down to around $2/month/book, Safari will remain much more cost effective. Whether Safai will remain the cheaper option if you need a book for longer than 30 days though, remains to be seen and I've assumed you'll actually make use of all 5 books. But even one book at $10/m may be competitive with amazon.

Of course there's also the question of which service offers the books you want to read

Still, it's good to see progress and depending on how much it costs to rent a book for a term this may be of great benefit to students. Not sure how the publishers will see it though, they (allegedly) do their best to bring out yearly revisions to text books with in many cases rather minor changes to ensure 2nd hand sales are not possible for the following years students
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
I agree that its a good thing, needed progress. But there are still mahor issues I think just with the ebook, student business model publishers are enforcing. Plus I think for most studrnts, your text books are great reference sources, so owning the book would be greater in the long haul for certain subjects.

Overall, they really need to make ebook cheaper for students to own, among other things. While up to 80% sounds nice, Id like to see what books are really valued close to that.

Will be interesting. I can only hope B&N can offer a better or equal deal to drum up competition to get some good deals going.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote