Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
alexb123
alexb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung e65
PDF WHSMITHS SAMSUNG not working

I have downloaded a PDF from WH Smiths to tranfer to my samsung via wifi but thats not working for some reason. Anyway, I copied over on the memory card but now I cannot get my reader to even see the file.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers

Alex
alexb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Do you have ADE installed as it's probably a file protected by DRM and you need to register with ADE and then it can be unlocked for use on up to half a dozen authorised devices...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
alexb123

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Do you have ADE installed as it's probably a file protected by DRM and you need to register with ADE and then it can be unlocked for use on up to half a dozen authorised devices...
Hi many thanks for the quick reply. I can now get the samsung to see the file but I get the message "failed to open".

So I think you are right.

Any ideas where I get this ADE from?

Cheers
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE = Adobe Digital Edition... it is the DRM protected file unlocker etc from Adobe... just Google and you'll find the Adobe D/L...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
alexb123

Many Thanks

I'm looking at the site but I'm still confused. I did download that software yesterday to my desktop. Am I meant to almost download it to my ebook reader? From what I can see it only supports Sony products, and I have a Samsung.
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard

If authorised PDFs will work on your Samsung then you need to register ADE to get the ability to authorise a connected device... basically when you open ADE can it see your Samsung when it's connected, if so then you can probably make it an authorised device and then transfer the PDF to it where it should open... sorry about all the qualifications in what I'm saying but I don't have a Samsung... however ADE supports many readers for handling authorisation and DRM file access...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Alex
I found that when downloading to ADE it doesnt go straight to the library but should go to a folder in the name My Digital Editions. It should show as a ACSM file of around 2KB Just drag and drop it into ADE and it should start the download onto the library and then you should be able to drag and drop the book it onto your reader.

Mike
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Just to throw in a small quibble here: it's DRM restricted, not protected. Unless you feel like you're a danger to your files, anyway.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard

Depends on your viewpoint... protected from fair use by its purchaser seems a fair interpretation of an unfair system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Just to throw in a small quibble here: it's DRM restricted, not protected. Unless you feel like you're a danger to your files, anyway.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
alexb123

Cheers guys all sorted. I had to connect with the hardwire and then get the DRM to ok the samsung and now all is well.

Many Thanks