Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
dasony
dasony doesn't litterdasony doesn't litterdasony doesn't litter

Device: none
iRiver's new e-book reader 'Story'

I just ordered a PRS-600 and now this comes into the news. (I live in Korea BTW.)
  • 6 inch screen with QWERTY buttons
  • Supports PDF, epub, txt, ppt, doc, xls and other formats WITHOUT conversion.
  • Supports Comic viewer for comics
  • Expandable to maximum 32GB with memory slot.
  • Up to 9000 page turns

They are affiliated with Kyobo, the biggest book store in Korean, and also with other learning contents company. They are working on contents from US, Russia, Europe and Australia.

The pre-order starts on 16th September in Korea. The price is not officially announced, but it seems it will be 350,000~400,000 KRW range, which is around 300 USD.

They are also talking with retailers in Russia and US. iRiver says the product's focus will be overseas markets so I expect it to be released in other countries soon.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-01-2009 at 01:52 PM.
dasony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
That is a horrible photoshop job, but the device seems cool.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hmm... I think I was more impressed with the Nuut......But this looks like a K2 to me, and I don't get the keyboard, I think it spoils the over all look of the unit, but the Comic viewer is a definate plus.....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
It is a bit funny, this PS job

But, I guess 6" e-ink screens are getting dirt-cheap. Bleh....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
"Comic Viewer"

So basically it can handle reading image files from inside a ZIP/RAR file? Yes, comic file "formats" really are that simple.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Let's nag the moderators for a new forum!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
davidlt
davidlt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Congratulations for PRS-600!

Any ideas where I could order it here in France? It seems to be out of Sony Store...
davidlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
dasony

I think this device uses Windows CE, considering supports of office formats. There's also famous Comics Viewer application for WinCE that iRiver bundles with their CE-based PMPs.

About the ugly qwerty keyboard, I think they are focusing on dictionaries for Korean markets, since there's huge market for electric dictionary in Korea, while almost no e-book device market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlt View Post
Congratulations for PRS-600!

Any ideas where I could order it here in France? It seems to be out of Sony Store...
Thanks. =) I actually had to use one of those services that let you order to their US address and ship it to me. Anyway because of the alleged recall, I have no idea when it will be shipped.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
davidlt
davidlt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Could you give more details about those services? And are they quite good to trust?
davidlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
dasony

Some more pics. ziplock-style case is included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10oh6cw.jpg
Views:	8468
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	35272   Click image for larger version

Name:	70e73n.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	35273   Click image for larger version

Name:	9qg32t.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	35274  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-01-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added images as attachments
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
[QUOTE=dasony;575699]Some more pics. ziplock-style case is included.

They're very good renders, they are renders aren't they?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
They're very good renders, they are renders aren't they?
No they're photos.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
No they're photos.
Wow! I could have sworn they were CGI renders. Looks like a nice reader, although I'm not a fan of white casing. Thanks for the pics.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm a bit disappointed. I guess it's better than another Netronix clone but this whole big-bezel-and-keyboard Kindle clone isn't exactly refreshing. Perhaps if it's quick to use, but since it looks to be e-ink, it's pretty safe to say that's not going to be the case.

Just another generic.

Addendum: And electronic dictionaries in Asia are miles ahead of any e-ink device in terms of usability and portability. This just seems like iRiver's way of tossing out a clone product with a couple extra features (the microphone for one...I wouldn't be surprised if it boasts FM radio too).

Last edited by LDBoblo; 09-01-2009 at 07:09 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
OK, when is Kinokuniya coming out with a ebook reader?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iriver