Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Love the Onion
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Rerun

This was funny the 1st time it was posted, and funny the 2nd time it was posted and it was even funny in this current thread.

WDE. (I may have missed a few prior postings.)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I agree that it would have been as funny without the cursing.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
I honestly was shocked and didn't find it even in the least bit funny! All I could think about was the shock and horror and SHAME, of the poor mums of those people, (that is of course if people like that actually HAVE mothers) if they ever saw that show by accident!
What about their kids? What if their kids saw that show?
It's a sketch, a joke. But of course, if you didn't know what The Onion is it could probably easily pass over one's head.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Big part of the problem is how artificial the cursing is. The actors actually look uncomfortable each time they say a swear word, as if they're not used to using them. Listen to a mechanic or a longshoreman or other stereotypical blue-collar worker, and the cursing is a part of speech, given no more thought than any other word, unlike this video where they pause before the word then emphasize the word itself ("Ooh, look at me, I just said a bad word!")

@dragonbone - These swear words have become so overused, they no longer have the impact with current generations as they did with their parents. The words are now a part of the language with no more emotional impact than saying "shoe", "firetruck", or "jumping". The same thing happened with our parents and grandparents, horrifically obscene swearing like "gosh darn", "jeese", "hell". FCC requires bleeping out "fuck" and "shit", but little else. BBC will allow both of those but bleep out "bloody". And what about "ass"? Are you talking about an animal or a bunghole?
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think one needs to look at the Culture of Consumerism that makes this video possible (whether one thinks it's funny or not).

Overly complicated f**king pieces of sh*t like this DO indeed come to market. That, to my mind, is what makes this video possible and potentially funny. (Personally, I think it would have been more effective with only half of the cursing in it.)

Not all of us are toothless hillbillies - Hell, I still have my original teeth! - but I sometimes feel exactly that way when something like that piece of garbage actually comes to market.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My face is all wet, I laughed so hard! No, I don't talk like this, but I sure would like to sometimes!

Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #23
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Overly complicated f**king pieces of sh*t like this DO indeed come to market.
Witness the flack over the new iPod Shuffle ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote