Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #16
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm teetering back and forth about getting the iPad. On one hand, I don't want to be stuck in the iPhone ecosystem. On the other hand, the iPhone paradigm mostly works, and would be moderately tolerable if jailbroken. I'd prefer Android or WinMo7 or a decent Linux setup, and if it can be done, that'd rock. I'd like to see if someone can twist the hardware away from the iPhone OS (I'm sure there'll be a lot more demand for that with the iPad than there was for the iPhone itself)

Also the screen. I suspect it's more than good enough for reading, but daylight viewability is still a question in my mind, and I can't help but think I'd rather get a Pixel Qi screen. Still, if it lives up to battery life claims, the tradeoff is acceptable.

Then the lack of expansion/connectivity ports. That's one of the more irksome features. At least a USB host or SDHC card slot would have been nice, as I'd like to occasionally use my tablet around the office with sneakernet file transfer options.

All of this ambivalence comes from knowing that they did get the basic form factor right, and they seemed to do a good job with basic performance. Of all the potential tablet competition in the near future, it's hard to say if anyone else is going to produce a winner.

Basically, if this thing had a Pixel Qi screen, I'd definitely get it, even disliking the iPhone OS. If it had a good non-iPhone OS, I'd definitely get it, even with reservations about the screen. I'm sure both of those needs will be satisfied over the next year, but whether any of them will get the hardware design right is a hard call.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm getting this. I'm already planning to start putting money in my credit account so that I can get it.

I have yet to buy an ebook specific device, and this is the one. I've been waiting for color screen before jumping into the fray. If you don't count my iPod Touch which is more of a music and gaming device for me.

What will happen then? All my functional writing notes and office type apps will go to this device, as well as Stanza, my pdf reader, and the like. My iPod will keep the music functions and games, at least until iPad versions of my games come out.

Funny thing though, I have the 32 GB iPod but I'll probably be getting the 16GB wifi version of the iPad.

Oh MAN am I excited!!
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If one really wanted a small, tight operating system which could be general purpose, one would look to something like ITRON --- the original demo of it had multiple windows showing video on an _80286_.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/31855.html

If one wants a pen slate running Mac OS X, get an Axiotron Modbook:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home

Or install OS X on the hardware of your choice:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Textr runs on iPod Touch. There's an app for that! And its free!

The iPad is basically running the same OS as iPod Touch and all the iPod Touch compatible apps will work out of box. Hopefully there's time for the apps like txtr to be upscaled to the new screen size before it launches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the txtr app runs on the iPad, then you will have ePub with Adept support.
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Hi,

LCD screen and battery life are personal choice items, but I think the weight of 700g makes sure it is not used as an ebook reader, at least not for long.
Also I think the price is too high compared to what it does...

Ciao
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #21
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I was also excited about the possibility of this device, and was hoping it would be my first Apple product. I was extremely disappointed when the specs were released. For me to purchase, the iPad would need:

SDHC card reader
USB port
Unlocked hardware (ability to install apps from anywhere)
16:9 screen
Matte finish screen, not glossy
Multi-tasking ability
No reliance on iTunes what-so-ever
Mini USB for charging and copy/paste, no proprietary ports/connectors
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
  • If you buy an app on an iPad/iPhone/iTouch, do you have to buy it again to use it on another iPad/iPhone/iTouch? If not, and I get an iPad, they may have shifted my future phone desires from Android to iPhone as well.
I specifically remember that they mentioned that you could "download the apps you are authorized to have" or something like that on their presentation, so i'm guessing that you can use the apps on both and ipad and iphone.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #23
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I don't want to read my ebooks on a LCD display - if I wanted that I could use my computer or notebook (and I would save a bunch of money).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
Hi,

LCD screen and battery life are personal choice items, but I think the weight of 700g makes sure it is not used as an ebook reader, at least not for long.
Also I think the price is too high compared to what it does...

Ciao
Sven
I totally agree ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #25
trehberg
trehberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Print Support

I think the Ipad is basically an enlarged Ipod Touch, but it would be so much more useful if it supported printing, either Wi-fi, Bluetooth, or through the 30-pin connection. I don't understand the iWorks value if you can't print.
trehberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #26
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
That 10 hour battery life is probably bogus
I suspect it is accurate. They claim 5 to 6 hours for the iPod Touch and I find that's what I get for most usage.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #27
Mr.Hughes
Mr.Hughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & IPhone & Dell Mini 10v (running snow leopard))
you can use the apps you already paid for for your iphone or ipod, I think it will just be a case of adding your existing itunes account to the ipad and re-downloading what you have paid for.

Ive just finished playing with the ipad SDK, and the apps that I have developed for the iphone seem to port across to the IPad with no problems at all, and run on the ipad simulator a-okay. even tho im still pi**ed at the ipad not being what i wanted or expected i’ll probably get an ipad after all just for the fact im a gadget freak and i love developing for the iphone/pod, and I guess a ipad is just a giant ipod/phone. if apple put a stop to devs releasing ebook readers for the ipad on the app store then that just plain sucks, If it comes to that I have written a basic app for reading ebooks that I will install on my ipad using my SDKs and dev licence
Mr.Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
What iPad is missing
  • USB ports and Memory card slots
Think about it.
If it had an SD card slot, what would motivate you to buy $599 32GB model instead of $499 16GB model plus $10 32GB SD card?

This is not about Customer. This is not about Customer Experience. It is about Making As Much Money As We Can.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
Mr.Hughes
Mr.Hughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & IPhone & Dell Mini 10v (running snow leopard))
i’d imagine you’d be able to print from the ipad, Ive not tried it personally on the iphone but i know you can print from it using certain apps, and i know my iphone can see my printer via bonjour services.
Mr.Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #30
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
The lack of USB, memory card slot, and DIVX support are deal breakers for me. I no longer have the slightest interest in the iPad.
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote