Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
nz7c
nz7c began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
Best approach to mobi to epub TOC questions?

For the record I think Calibre is an amazing program and incredibly useful. I need to find the button to make a donation to the developer - he certainly deserves it. However, I am a non-techy and often problem resolutions assume some minimal level of technical savvy - which I'm willing to delve into if absolutely necessary, but feel that I should ask some questions before I make that type of time commitment...thanks for bearing with.
I'm new to this forum and have scanned both "Chapter Detection/Table of Contents Tutorial" and "How to ask a question about conversion problems". Again I'm willing to delve into to what these posts suggest if necessary - but for a non-techy this requires a LOT of time to get familiar with many terms, concepts etc that developers know as second nature and to which I am somewhat clueless (but the program's capabilities make it worth learning if I must)
So here;'s my question: I added 4 books from my PC kindle directory. each book was from the same publisher as part of a 4 volume series. They are research type books and are somewhat useless without a table of contents. All were identified under type as "Kindle Content". I used the Calibre default settings and requested conversion. The "from" format showed as mobi and I asked the to format to be epub. I converted all 4 and then sent to my new nexus 7 where they were received by calibre companion. The default nexus reader is Cool Reader. Three of the books converted beautifully and have an outstanding table of contents. One converted but does not have the TOC and I do not understand why.
Because the original books were Kindle is this considered a "drm" question and therefore not a question the Calibre developer can or would respond to for legal reasons? If so, is the only and best option to solve the problem to bite the bullet and try to understand the "Chapter Detection/Table of Contents Tutorial". Thank you in advance for the help.
nz7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Chances are your original mobi file had no table of contents. In which case there is no alternative but to use the various methods in calibre to auto-geenrate a tble of contents. Or you can edit the epub in an epub editing program like sigil and manually generate a ToC there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
nz7c
nz7c began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
Thank you so much for the response - I appreciate your time. On a whim I tried using Aldiko instead of Cool Reader. Aldiko brought in the TOC perfectly - so it appears the issue is with Cool Reader and not the conversion,,,,,interesting and by pure luck an easy solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Chances are your original mobi file had no table of contents. In which case there is no alternative but to use the various methods in calibre to auto-geenrate a tble of contents. Or you can edit the epub in an epub editing program like sigil and manually generate a ToC there.
nz7c is offline   Reply With Quote