Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
TheLibrarian_
TheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad
No 'Send To Main Memory Option' For iTunes Connection

Hi everyone. I hope that I haven't made my post in the wrong section, but I could not find any area designated for troubleshooting in Calibre.

My problem is that upon connecting Calibre to iTunes, when selecting a book to 'Send to Device', the option which says 'Send to Main Memory' is grayed-out, meaning that I cannot select it. This means that I have no way to send my books to iTunes through Calibre.

Ultimately, my goal is to transfer the books from Calibre to my iPad; iTunes is simply a middleman to this end. Is there any way to fix the problem I've stated, and if not, is there a different method to transfer my books from Calibre to iPad?
TheLibrarian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Devices is for all troubleshooting.
I Moved the thread
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian_ View Post
Hi everyone. I hope that I haven't made my post in the wrong section, but I could not find any area designated for troubleshooting in Calibre.

My problem is that upon connecting Calibre to iTunes, when selecting a book to 'Send to Device', the option which says 'Send to Main Memory' is grayed-out, meaning that I cannot select it. This means that I have no way to send my books to iTunes through Calibre.

Ultimately, my goal is to transfer the books from Calibre to my iPad; iTunes is simply a middleman to this end. Is there any way to fix the problem I've stated, and if not, is there a different method to transfer my books from Calibre to iPad?
I'm assuming that you're running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Apple's changes to the way that books are managed under Mavericks broke calibre's ability to communicate with your iPad. You can read more about it in the OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) + iBooks sticky in this forum.

If you want to use calibre to manage books on your iPad, I would suggest trying Marvin and GoodReader with the iOS reader applications plugin as described in that sticky.

If you want to use iBooks on your iPad, some users have reported that it is possible to drag books from calibre to iBooks on the Mac, then sync your iDevice.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 11-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or uninstall iBooks. I'm not really sure of the details, I don't use OSX or iOS.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
TheLibrarian_
TheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blueTheLibrarian_ can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'm assuming that you're running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Apple's changes to the way that books are managed under Mavericks broke calibre's ability to communicate with your iPad. You can read more about it in the OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) + iBooks sticky in this forum.

If you want to use calibre to manage books on your iPad, I would suggest trying Marvin and GoodReader with the iOS reader applications plugin as described in that sticky.

If you want to use iBooks on your iPad, some users have reported that it is possible to drag books from calibre to iBooks on the Mac, then sync your iDevice.

G
Hi. I apologize that I did not clarify in my original post. I am running the latest version of Calibre (64-bit) and iTunes on Windows 7.

Yesterday, I managed to send some books through a content server. The problem with that is that the cover and metadata for the books didn't import as I had edited it in Calibre, so it became hard to identify some of those books in the iBooks app.

I then decided to save the books to my hard drive upon editing all of them in Calibre, with the hopes that the covers and metadata would be saved in the epub/pdf/etc. file. After saving these files, I transferred them to Dropbox, but upon opening them in iBooks, they still didn't have the covers and metadata saved.

Is there a way to save the metadata and covers of the books into the epub file itself? In my preferences for saving a file to the disk, here are the options as I've set them:

'Save cover separately' is unchecked
'Update metadata in saved copies' is checked
'Save metadata in OPF file' is unchecked

If I can manage to import the newly edited metadata and covers into iBooks through the content server or Dropbox, I would be fine with these methods, and the iTunes issue would no longer concern me.
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're running calibre under Windows, you should be able to use 'Connect to iTunes' as described in the Calibre + iDevices: Start here sticky.

If you want to use the content server and receive the current metadata, use calibre's Polish books feature to update the epub's metadata.

G
Old 11-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
TheLibrarian_

Quote:
If you're running calibre under Windows, you should be able to use 'Connect to iTunes' as described in the Calibre + iDevices: Start here sticky.

If you want to use the content server and receive the current metadata, use calibre's Polish books feature to update the epub's metadata.

G
Hi GRiker. I've solved the problem with iTunes now. While Calibre was running in administrator mode, iTunes was not. I decided to run iTunes as an administrator, and I've now successfully transferred two books from Calibre to iTunes.

I don't need you to reply anymore as I now have a method to transfer my books, but if you'd like to help with a new issue, I would appreciate it.

I successfully polished all of the books in my library, then transferred some of them through the content server. While they were imported with updated metadata and covers, upon opening the book in iBooks, an error is displayed stating, "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing".

A few notes on this issue:

- Only the books that I polished are displaying this error.
- I am able to add new books which have not been polished, and no error is displayed upon opening them.
- When polishing each book, I only selected to update the metadata and covers.
- Saving these newly-polished books to the disk, then transferring them through Dropbox results in the same error when opening in iBooks.

Do you have any idea what the problem may be? If not, it is nothing to worry about, and I am satisfied with using iTunes to transfer.

EDIT: Oh dear. I hadn't realized at first, but now that I've attempted to sync some of the polished books from iTunes to the iPad, they display the aforementioned error when they are opened in iBooks. It appears that I may have another problem after all.

Last edited by TheLibrarian_; 11-10-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
GRiker

@TheLibrarian_,

Sorry, I don't know what might be happening Perhaps someone else also using Dropbox as you are might be able to shed some light on it.

G
Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

G
The calibre content server updates metadata the same way save to disk or send to device does. Polish books just lets you apply the same changes to the calibre-owned copy.

Quote:
@TheLibrarian_,

Sorry, I don't know what might be happening Perhaps someone else also using Dropbox as you are might be able to shed some light on it.

G
Doesn't sound like that would be it, it seems to happen whenever a polished book gets added to iTunes, regardless of where it was stored in the meantime.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote