Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #46
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Er, in addition to parental controls (which is what they're for), I'm pretty sure erotica won't show up for anyone who hasn't already been browsing or purchasing it.

There are other reasons to be annoyed at the Recommended section, but being suddenly surprised that Amazon sells adult material is not one of them, in my opinion. (Hello, Fifty Shades of Gray?)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #47
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
heh, good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Er, in addition to parental controls (which is what they're for), I'm pretty sure erotica won't show up for anyone who hasn't already been browsing or purchasing it.
heh. all good points. Hopefully won't be a problem then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
There are other reasons to be annoyed at the Recommended section, but being suddenly surprised that Amazon sells adult material is not one of them, in my opinion. (Hello, Fifty Shades of Gray?)
pictures of Ties I can handle
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #48
hummingbird
hummingbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
erotica pic http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UTnHZWvsL.jpg

um. yeah. that's not okay.

I just recommended one of these to a person with small children who read and will in all probability end up with the device.

Even if you can/oneday limit this via "Baby Settings" (or w/e the name might be), still odd that they inject marketing in your views... oh wait. no, it isn't

Re: Work, That would be NSFW at "best" and argument inducing at worst.
Re: Home, Nuddy pictures splashing up rarely end up in great endings...

Err. so. no. bad idea.

Also that contrast picture is shocking. looking at my Touch and KK side-by-side I would say the touch is actually better for "black" blacks but the lighter background could be affecting my judgement.

gmail looks near identical on both, the Touch takes it by a hair I would guess.

Thanks for the great (well, terrible) pics.
I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite for my 8 year old daughter who is a book fiend and found the parental controls to be excellent. As she has no need to purchase books I've simply removed that feature so shes not browsing the Amazon Kindle store. Easy, peazy.

I do agree though, that content could be a little better thought out from Amazon's end and maybe in that particular instance a replacement title cover would be appropriate? Especially where people could take offence ie. cover with crotch shot.
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
I apparently got a non-defective unit. My PW has no splotches or hues. I can see the shadows between the LED castings, but they're not pronounced enough to be distracting (YMMV). I am disappointed that Amazon's product photos don't show the shadows. I think a lot of the backlash against the PW stems from the disparity between Amazon's idealized screen images and the PW's screen in the real world.

But I'll risk the fanboy epithet and say that I love the PW. Amazon misrepresented the screen, but I still don't see a compelling alternative. I don't like the aspect ratio of the GlowLight, I don't like the grey background of previous e-ink Kindles, I don't like the unresponsiveness of the Fire, I don't like the weight of the iPad-which I use in other context, but not for extended handheld reading. Even though the sidelighting doen't distribute light as evenly as Amazon would like us to believe, it's still much more even than an externally attached light, and without the glare.
Pictures or you got a Kobo Glo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite for my 8 year old daughter who is a book fiend and found the parental controls to be excellent. As she has no need to purchase books I've simply removed that feature so shes not browsing the Amazon Kindle store. Easy, peazy.

I do agree though, that content could be a little better thought out from Amazon's end and maybe in that particular instance a replacement title cover would be appropriate? Especially where people could take offence ie. cover with crotch shot.
You can't really see anything at all on the erotica covers I've seen so far. Even on that picture referenced here, there are just glimpses of legs and arms, not her actual private parts. If Amazon were to replace the cover with an alternative, they would be enforcing censorship, and thus be no better than the religious police idiots in Saudi Arabia, who mark over or cut out pictures of what they consider to be scantily clad women from western magazines, before letting stores sell them. You buy a magazine over there, you see a lot of black boxes.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...nsors-1.463677

Last edited by xendula; 10-13-2012 at 01:31 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #51
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
You can't really see anything at all on the erotica covers I've seen so far. Even on that picture referenced here, there are just glimpses of legs and arms, not her actual private parts. If Amazon were to replace the cover with an alternative, they would be enforcing censorship, and thus be no better than the religious police idiots in Saudi Arabia, who mark over or cut out pictures of what they consider to be scantily clad women from western magazines, before letting stores sell them. You buy a magazine over there, you see a lot of black boxes.
Agreed.

I think people not freaking out about a woman showing her arms and legs sends the stronger & healthier message.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #52
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You can't really see anything at all on the erotica covers I've seen so far. Even on that picture referenced here, there are just glimpses of legs and arms, not her actual private parts. If Amazon were to replace the cover with an alternative, they would be enforcing censorship, and thus be no better than the religious police idiots in Saudi Arabia, who mark over or cut out pictures of what they consider to be scantily clad women from western magazines, before letting stores sell them.
I agree, xendula!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Shouldn't the book content cause a book to get a Not Child Suitable rating so it won't appear in the suggestions unless you are happy to receive them?

I'm actually a bit surprised at Amazon for this, they have such a good system for recommending books. Are they not providing to the same system on the PW?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #54
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I personally don't believe it should. At all.
The only thing you see is the book cover. This is the same thing a child could see in a bookstore or someone's bookshelf. Do people put locks on their book shelves? Do we have to start carding kids before they walk into a book store?
If parents want to "protect" their childeren from world around them, they can use parental controls. I know this may sound harsh, but this is not Amazon's job to do.

Besides, as Trauma Doll said, you only get erotica in your recommendations if you actually purchased erotica. So chances are erotica is already in your library and thus easily accessibe to your child. Just sayin'...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #55
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Agreed.

I think people not freaking out about a woman showing her arms and legs sends the stronger & healthier message.
err my addendum point was about children mistakenly seeing the images.
specifically, or workplace / family scenarios.

"people" is stretching the point a bit there...
(assuming your point encompassed mine)
but if you mean with reference to book buying adults in a sensible context then of course I agree.

Although I do rather tire of "in flagrante" shots to sell otherwise dulls tomes.

Marketing, Bleaugh
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #56
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Don't forget amazon offers the one year warranty...

Everyone acts like its thirty days to fix a defect or nothing, when in fact they have one year.

Personally, the blotch is live able for me, and I like the pw otherwise. I'm hoping in a few months amazon will get their stuff together and I can return it as a defective unit.
I had a similar experience with my 1st gen nook. The first unit had freezing issues. Units 2 & 3 had page-turn buttons crack. Unit 4, acquired 9 months after I purchased Unit 1, is still going strong. I resolved then not to buy a device in the first 9 months it's on the market...while the manufacturer should stand behind their device, rolling with the exchanges can be a hassle. While I would like to have a lit device eventually I have a solid Kindle 4 NT and can wait. Paperwhite does not have a few things on it I have now, like a longer battery life and more book storage space.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #57
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...nsors-1.463677

I've got my new PW here in Saudi Arabia and I love it. The little shades in the lower screen do not distract my reading. It is my first kindle, and it replaced my Nook Simple Touch. Even though, the new PW does not read Arabic as the nook does (after I rooted it), the new PW is much better in resolution and it has the light. For Arabic now, I read PDF after processing them with the great k2pdfopt software.

By the way, xendula
Picture censorship is the least to worry about in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by kim1406; 10-15-2012 at 04:06 AM.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #58
xendula
eBookworm

@kim1406, it was an analogy that came to mind after hummingbirds' alternative cover idea.

Can you access the US kindle store without restrictions from Saudi Arabia?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #59
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
@kim1406, it was an analogy that came to mind after hummingbirds' alternative cover idea.

Can you access the US kindle store without restrictions from Saudi Arabia?
I have the wifi version and yes I can access and download from kindle store through the kindle and my PC. I recall that, one time when trying to download a free book from within the kindle, I got an error message saying that this item is not available to my area and asking if I'm traveling, then I tried downloading it through my account on the PC and it downloaded without any problem and transferred to the kindle.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #60
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
I have the wifi version and yes I can access and download from kindle store through the kindle and my PC. I recall that, one time when trying to download a free book from within the kindle, I got an error message saying that this item is not available to my area and asking if I'm traveling, then I tried downloading it through my account on the PC and it downloaded without any problem and transferred to the kindle.
Interesting that the goverment isn't blocking your access. You could be downloading erotica or the bible for all they know

Edited to explain: both are illegal in SA.