Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Anyone seen this movie and read the novels that the movie referrs to?

I am sad to say that I have seen the movie but only read a few of the novels that the movie referrs to. I have read Tomy Sawyer and 20K leagues under the sea but until the movie I had heard of but never thought of reading Dracula and I am going through Dorian Grey at the moment. I never heard of Alan Quatermain. So far Dorian Grey is a little slow going since every time one of the characters opens their mouth they have a tendency to ramble on and on for a long time.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I've never seen the movie and have no intention of doing so, but I own the original comics (in the annotated deluxe oversized hardcover editions).

I've read Dracula and Picture of Dorian Grey (both long before LoEG, DG incidentally is not in the comics, nor is Tom Sawyer), started on King Solomon's Mines for Allan Quatermain (though due to a different influence) and Jekyll and Hyde, am familiar with War of the Worlds and Invisible Man (in adaptation) and Sherlock Holmes, will one day try Fu Manchu and Zola's Nana and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

From the comics, there's references to tonnes of other public domain literary stuff, such as Pollyanna and What Katy Did and Fanny Hill* for people to try. One could assemble quite a reading list.

* Not what Katy did, in case you were wondering, but that section of the GN may still scar your childhood, though perhaps not nearly as much as Lost Girls would.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I've never seen the movie and have no intention of doing so, but I own the original comics (in the annotated deluxe oversized hardcover editions).
I didn't know these were released. I must go find them!

The movie is one of those really bad movies that I like to watch for a laugh.

I read Dracula in high school for a project. It wasn't on the approved reading list, but I made my case. The teacher was really cool about it and loved the idea. That book started me on reading most of the books that the comic was based on. It really helped with my enjoyment of the comics when they came out.

I have not read King Soloman's Mine though. Just download it from Kindle so I will be checking that off.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote