Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #16
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA
Looks like a pretty standard Li-poly battery. There's a bunch of outfits that sell similar ones for the iPod and PDA replacement markets, so I'm betting they will show up eventually for the Reader.

Be tough to sell them right now though. The usual usual sales pitch (and what made me replace the battery in my Palm T3) is longer run time

I think the power jack layout may be a "feature." A significant cause of early gadget mortality is walking off with it still connected to the power cord. If you're lucky, it just pops out the plug, if you're not, it snaps the jack off the board internally. If the jack is on the main board, this means big bucks.

The way this is laid out, it would just trash the little sub-board, which would be a very easy and cheap repair.

Or maybe it didn't fit

Cheers,
Bob

I fix laptop broken power connectors as one of my tallents.

At least the higher end Sony laptop do not mount the power connector on the main board. Thank goodness! SO seeing this as daughter board is not too surprising... Actually makes a lot of sense.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #17
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Here is an idea...

On the Cowon A2.. The audio jack has 3 rings and a tip... A std Stereo jack has 2 + tip. They use one of the rings as a remote control line... Uses resistors values from ground to that ring to control the unit. 1K = Fwd, 2k = REV, 20K etc...

If a extra ring jack could be added then...

1) A simple nothing hookup between the 4 ring and ground to bring out the next page button. Simple and the one needed the most so to speak.

2) Like the A2 have a small PIC chip read the resistance places across ring 4 and ground to control the various functions. Prv/Fwd Audio Up/Dwn etc...

Mouser have those weird jacks and plugs... But could the Reader be retrofitted? Or put a small jack on a side or bottom.

Or if room try this....

RS is blowing out a wireless 3&4G iPod remote... The board is very tiny... Take from 3v to about 3.6 volts.... Uses PIC cpu's.... It would give 5 switches so to speak. Have not looked at it to see if possible to extract directly the control before it turns the command stream into its data to feed into a iPod. Benn working on adding a serial to control line PIC converter chip to remotely control my A2.

If want can post a photo of this board...

Last edited by Nightwing; 11-14-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you're going to go to all that trouble, why not just glom onto the contacts for the existing buttons, and bring that to a jack somewhere? It shouldn't be too tough to add extra wires to the buttons' existing soldier contacts.

I've thought about doing this myself, but the remote just isn't that personally important.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
Nightwing
Addict

Huh... I though I said that...

Would it be nice to have a key ring rf remote for it?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmm, okay, I thought you were talking about adding another small board, as opposed to just tapping the existing contacts and running them to a new set of buttons.

In that case, it looks like we're on the same page, so it must be a good idea, huh?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #21
Nightwing
Addict

Thats it. ^_^ Thinking alike!

It makes sense. Not a full remote but a simple button.

I thinking it may be possible to replace the current audio jack with one having an extra ring... The only remote function people are think on from reading here would be a NEXT button. Would also be nice if people put sheet music on the reader. Use a floor switch to turn the pages.

Need to look a bit closer at the pix. See what is there...

If room then adding that little RF circuit scrounged would be nice.

The other way would be do a hijack of one of the audio lines leaving the standard connector along by some means.

If I get a chance today will look at that circuit board and see if I can pull strait control signals off of it without adding to it. If so its a 10 dollar item now.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:44 AM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Does anybody know why the battery has only got 2 wires. Doesn't Li-ion need a third one for data?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:14 AM   #23
rothe957
Ingenieur
rothe957 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Hiebook / SonyEricsson P910i
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Does anybody know why the battery has only got 2 wires. Doesn't Li-ion need a third one for data?
The third terminal is only 'data' on battery packs with integrated charge monitoring electronics, i.e. Sony InfoLithium or Notebook battery packs. Simple battery packs (i.e. for mobile phones or camcorders) usually have an integrated temperature sensor (simple passive NTC resistor) connected to the third terminal. This is intended for monitoring battery temperature during charging. Non-changeable internal Li-Ion batteries usually only have 2 terminals, because the device manufacturer usually puts the temperature sensor somwhere in the battery compartment and connects it directly to the charging circuit.

^_^
rothe957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #24
PierUEAU
PierUEAU began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
LCD contrast

I have a problem with my sony reader pr-500. The LCD don't work very well, because the contrast of LCD is wrong. Tomorrow I will send a photo of LCD.

Thanks
PierUEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierUEAU View Post
I have a problem with my sony reader pr-500. The LCD don't work very well, because the contrast of LCD is wrong. Tomorrow I will send a photo of LCD.

Thanks
Hi PierUEAU, welcome to MobileRead.com!

You can adjust the contrast yourself but you need to open the Reader to do so. If you have guarantee I wouldn't mess with it yourself. Check the following thread for more info:

Click
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #26
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Power switch LED

Is the power switch LED run by the processor under program control? Or is it run by the charging circuitry?

I am trying to accumulate hard data for understanding the symptoms of a dead reader for diagnostic purposes.

Thanks in advance
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #27
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Is the power switch LED run by the processor under program control? Or is it run by the charging circuitry?

I am trying to accumulate hard data for understanding the symptoms of a dead reader for diagnostic purposes.

Thanks in advance
I presume it is on the processor level, because it turns orange when loading after reset and won't charge (turn red) unless it sees the USB drivers installed on your PC.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 AM   #28
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Observable Reader behavior when the screen dies

There are three threads that deal with "bricked" Sony Readers. There are no clear troubleshooting guidelines, though many people have suggestions. Here are three types of behavior that can be seen if the screen is not working:

1/ The power LED changes. Under what circumstances?
2/ The "mark" button elicits a blue LED.
3/ The Connect software can "see" the reader.

These behaviors can be observed systematically to determine whether the Reader's processor is dead or alive, or whether it is in a non-functional loop.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #29
PierUEAU
PierUEAU began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Hi PierUEAU, welcome to MobileRead.com!

You can adjust the contrast yourself but you need to open the Reader to do so. If you have guarantee I wouldn't mess with it yourself. Check the following thread for more info:

Click

This is a photo of the LCD. I opened the Reader, and I adjasted the contrast, but there wasn't any effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs-500.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	3845  
PierUEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #30
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierUEAU View Post
This is a photo of the LCD. I opened the Reader, and I adjasted the contrast, but there wasn't any effect.

Why did you take out the whole screen? The variable resistor is direct reachable without taking it apart completely. Are you sure you played with RV1601 like in the following picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1601.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	3853