Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
weberr
New old guy
weberr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Post display adjoining html files without page break

Is there any html/css code that can be inserted manually or by Sigil that will allow me to break up a very large, but continuous html file into more than one html file (use the Sigil control-return feature) but retain the continuous text in an ereader? Have researched various tutorials but have not found such a command.
weberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Nope, afak that is not possible. A new file means a new page.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And to add to Toxaris
Many devices will HANG if a segment gets too big (Calibre chose 260K must break point for a reason )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The prs-t1 can actually handle files of 600kb and higher. It is dead slow though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
How would a human use a very large continuous HTML file anyway? Without some sort of division, the average human is likely to lose their train of thought.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think there is no indication in the spec that every XHTML file should start in a new page/screen, but all readers I know behave like that.

Maybe some day some reader will show different files as a continuous flow (if indeed this is allowed by the spec), in that case one could always insert a pagebreak at the top of each file if wanted. Long texts with no divisions could be easily broken at paragraph boundaries for ease of handling. If there are no paragraphs... that's harder, and I'm afraid any device would choke eventually with such a text (note that Adobe-based readers already insert spurious pagebreaks in the middle of long paragraphs).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
weberr
New old guy

Thanks, but no thanks. That is not the answer I was hoping for. I wonder who creates these specs. It seems like it would be such a simple thing to do, i.e., provide a code that would instruct the reader to not impose a page-break when going to a new file. And I do not think that my need is somehow unique. For instance, I have several books where the author deliberately chose to have a single, 350+ page chapter. It's fine in a printed book, but impossible to have such a large single html file.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
weberr
New old guy

I understand the size problems for a single html file. That's why I, and Calibre, break up large html files into several smaller files. I just don't want the reader to generate a page-break every time it comes to a new file. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberr View Post
I understand the size problems for a single html file. That's why I, and Calibre, break up large html files into several smaller files. I just don't want the reader to generate a page-break every time it comes to a new file. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.
actually, it is for the same reason you need to break files.
The old file is removed from memory and the new one loaded and displayed. This appears to be a page break.

BTW Do you PRINT on Roll Paper (fan fold has those terrible perforations )?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say it isn't really too much to ask. This just isn't the right place to ask it, since neither Sigil, nor its developers can do a thing about it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
weberr
New old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say it isn't really too much to ask. This just isn't the right place to ask it, since neither Sigil, nor its developers can do a thing about it.
Thanks. Appreciate your expertise. My problem is I don't know who/what is actually in charge of deciding what is in the standard. Is there someone or some group or somewhere to provide suggested enhancements or features?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Page breaks occurring at odd times because of how the html is split into pages is why I always make a new page at the start of a new chapter. I really dislike the random page breaks too and even consider it bad formatting, but I never mind it for a new chapter, just like paper books are usually set up. Giving each chapter its own html page also makes it easier while I'm still editing and proofing to find something that I need to change.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Besides the reasons given by Ripplinger
Pages load/display faster. Loading a 260K page takes almost a MINUTE on my PEZ, changing the Zoom, take again a long (although once set, does not add to other pages loaded)

Last edited by theducks; 11-10-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thanks. Appreciate your expertise. My problem is I don't know who/what is actually in charge of deciding what is in the standard. Is there someone or some group or somewhere to provide suggested enhancements or features?
The ePub standard is developed by the International Digital Publishing Forum, and XHTML is done by the World Wide Web Consortium. You'd probably find more information in their pages about contact, suggestions, etc.

As I said, I'm not sure the ePub standard says anything about how the different files should be displayed (regarding pagebreaks). But if a feature is added to allow displaying two consecutive files without a pagebreak, I bet it will be the first feature to be ignored by reading applications (after page headers/footers)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote