Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
So I'd like to dump Satellite/Cable TV

The thing is I do enjoy a world perspective on the news which I get a little bit from BBC America.

I enjoy watching Science and History on Discovery/PBS/History channels.

I rarely watch any sitcoms or prime-time TV, late night shows (Tonight show) comedy shows etc.

What's my best, most economical solution (if any)?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Silly Dog!

Trix are for kids!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Seriously, if my wife would let me (she never will and wouldn't ask either) I would blow up my TV, throw away the paper, eat a lot of peaches, etc. I hate most the fact that we leave the damn thing on most of the time we're home. I find it annoying but compelling at the same time.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
kennyc

I know exactly what you speak of ....

I don't watch much TV (other than above) and at this point it is just me so....I get to decide.
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have to admit, I have the TV on more than I would like (usually because of my husband, but sometimes, yes, because of me. I like the background noise). The last few days, though, I have been using it as a mirror to see what the kids are doing behind me. It's a very large, flat screen. I like using it best that way, whilst I read and drink hot chocolate, and spend too much time on the computer.

This past summer, I was visiting family for 2 months and spent maybe 5 minutes total on the computer, and no time whatsoever watching TV. I loved it. I read a lot of books (a LOT) and played a lot of games (canasta, rummikub, monopoly) with my mom and my kids, and spent a LOT of time walking around, visiting friends and family, and taking my kids on new adventures.

I wish I could be like that more of the time. It felt good.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If I could, would get rid of every tv in my house.

However, it is my husbands only source of entertainment. Sadly, the man doesn't enjoy reading......and health issues prevent him from leaving the house much.

I do enjoy the same channels KennyC does, as well as being addicted to PBS's Saturday night English sitcoms.......But I"d live without them.

Might even get more done that really important.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
kennyc

Grace you're easing me towards (admittedly already headed that way) just dumping it without any particular plan. I can watch local channels/news with just the tv and antenna....also have a dvd and vcr....but rarely use them.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
kennyc

So I found this thing called DTVPal --- which is apparently a Dish Network product...maybe...but looks to be discontinued.

It's basically an over the air DVR (but not like TIVO with finding programs for you etc)

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...V0FREESTARDVRP

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011472-1.html

Wouldn't give me Discovery or History Channels, but certainly local and local PBS stations.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Kenny, I dumped without any particular plan. But... I get my news online, and the only thing I watch with any regularity is Glee. I can pick that up on Hulu the day after it airs, so that's no biggie. I've thought about a Netflix subscription for movies and/or tv shows that I might want to catch up on, but so far haven't actually done anything more than thought about it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
kennyc

Thanks Shel.....I'm very much leaning towards that direction anyway. Just working up the gumption. I do think I can get all the news I need via on-line (home/work/Droid) so the only issue would be the "entertainments - science/history/occasional movie/special program). And I do like the ability to skip the commercials!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Well, I'm going to run into a problem next month, when the Ace of Cakes episode that they filmed locally is due to air, (I'll probably make arrangements to go watch it at Kim's house) but other than that...and if I HAD to, I could wait and see if Food Network will air the full episode, or buy the season DVD when it comes out. It's very seldom something comes on that I just MUST see, though.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Kenny, the free time that most people spend watching television I spend listening to music. So I am out of touch with television programs.

Don't the channels you listed issue their programs on DVD? A cheap Netflix subscription might allow you to watch much of what you would be interested in.

Reading books on the same subjects might be more worthwhile too, hour for hour.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I, too, rely on the internet for my entertainment. I probably do it in a less legal way than the others in this post, though. I use my TV as my monitor for my desktop. I don't pay for television. Anything I want to watch, I find online and download. There are legal ways to do this as well, of course. People have already mentioned Hulu and Netflix, both of which are good but sadly they offer less selection than my route. I don't know how much content you're likely to find from the History and Discovery channels via that route, but I've noticed a number of their more high profile programs showing up on sites like YouTube.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The thing is I do enjoy a world perspective on the news which I get a little bit from BBC America.

I enjoy watching Science and History on Discovery/PBS/History channels.

I rarely watch any sitcoms or prime-time TV, late night shows (Tonight show) comedy shows etc.

What's my best, most economical solution (if any)?
I used to watch a lot of TV but not now. Now it's news and documentaries.

There are so many good documentaries that are available(free) on the 'net, that I'll download one (history, archaeology, mysteries, etc) to Real Player and then watch on my laptop in bed at night. There are also some good movies available.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote