Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Kindle books in local currency?

Does anyone know if Amazon plans to have international prices for Kindle books instead of forcing everyone to pay in US $? Besides the lack of ePub support, this is one of the biggest drawbacks stopping me from ordering the Kindle 3. I like the fact that kobobooks.com sells ePubs in the currency of the country you're in (Canada in my case), which not only avoids a currency conversion, but also the ridiculous fee that most credit cards charge for doing the currency conversion.

Thanks.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
What kind of currency conversion fee do you have on your VISA? I have 1.5% on mine, which translates to $0.15 on a $10 book and you get the current currency rate as well.

If Amazon had offered sales in local currency, they would have to compensate for volatility in the currency markets offering a worse currency conversion rate, which probably would exceed the currency conversion fee.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I should look into how much my Visa card is charging me. Thank for reminding me
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLessard View Post
Does anyone know if Amazon plans to have international prices for Kindle books instead of forcing everyone to pay in US $? Besides the lack of ePub support, this is one of the biggest drawbacks stopping me from ordering the Kindle 3. I like the fact that kobobooks.com sells ePubs in the currency of the country you're in (Canada in my case), which not only avoids a currency conversion, but also the ridiculous fee that most credit cards charge for doing the currency conversion.

Thanks.
Amazon are using £ in the local UK Kindle store. I suspect that as they open local Kindle stores in their other local Amazon stores, they'll switch to local pricing there too. Don't expect to see anything other than US$ at Amazon.com though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon does conversion itself:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200197730
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
It does indeed, but that can it be used for Kindle books? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon are using £ in the local UK Kindle store. I suspect that as they open local Kindle stores in their other local Amazon stores, they'll switch to local pricing there too. Don't expect to see anything other than US$ at Amazon.com though.
Ok, I was asking the wrong question then. :P

I didn't realize that they offered in the Kindle Store on any sites other than the US one. Anyone here in the know about if and when they plan on opening a Canadian Kindle store?

Thanks.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote