Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Fixing scratches on the Sony light wedge.

This applies to the light wedge cover, Not the eink screen.

I was talking to a friend of mine who fixes scratches on his motorcycle helmet face screen. I thought his method might be useful for fixing scratches on my light wedge cover as well. It is!

At your local automotive store there is a shelf of plastic scratch repair products. They all basically work the same way. They contain a tube of goo which acts as a very fine sand paper to remove scratches. It looks a lot like toothpaste, only finer.

I was very worried about making the scratch on my light wedge even bigger and even worse. Consequently, the first application was applied and buffed very gently. After the initial (gentle) buff, I could see improvement already. After two more applications the scratch was completely gone, and the screen was a clear as the day I bought it.

Now I started seeing even smaller scratches I hadn't noticed before. I tried buffing them also. One application and they were gone. I have since fixed scratches on both sides of the light wedge.

The initial scratch was so bad and so deep I was looking at buying a new light wedge cover, but didn't want to fork over another $60. The repair process was so easy and so cheap ($5). I am very happy with the results. My wedge looks brand new.

Unfortunately I don't have any pix. I would love to be able to show you the before/after results.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I need this. The light keeps flapping over onto my hand and getting scratched on my rings. THANKS for the tip!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I need this. The light keeps flapping over onto my hand and getting scratched on my rings. THANKS for the tip!
Have you tried the rubber band trick?
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
THANKS AGAIN! I'll need it the other way, since I mostly read landscape style with the light flipped up. That's how it keeps flopping over onto my rings. The rubber band should work just fine.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Have you tried the rubber band trick?
Excellent tip !

But how do you turn the pages? Do you need to remove the rubber band each time ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Thanks for the polishing tip!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
A good plastic polish is Novus 2 (very fine), followed by Novus 1 (plastic cleaner).

Quote:
THANKS AGAIN! I'll need it the other way, since I mostly read landscape style with the light flipped up. That's how it keeps flopping over onto my rings. The rubber band should work just fine.
"The other way"? The rubber band placed as shown will hold the lightwedge to the screen in any orientation.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
"The other way"? The rubber band placed as shown will hold the lightwedge to the screen in any orientation.
DixieGal wants to hold the lightwedge *off* the screen instead of on it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote