Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by huari View Post
Hi,

We have both the Sony Reader (1st gen prs500) and Kindle.
If dictionary lookups are most important, Kindle wins.
Really? How many different dictionaries are available for the Kindle? There are hundreds of different ones available for the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
5 seconds max. Very often virtually instant. It works extremely well. Absolutely nothing wrong with the navigation interface - it works fine.
Have you timed it? Looking up a word were I had to choose from a list of word took 7 second. Add to that the time to get to navigation mode and the time to find a word.

I have two dictionaries on my Cybook so maybe that add to the time.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Dictionary lookup on both cybook and kindles sounds reasonable if it is only a few seconds give or take. I was worried that it was a marketing hype and not very practical.

I have not heard from Amazon support about being able to add other dictionaries. Interestingly on Kindle store there are many dictionaries listed but when you click on any of the nonspecialized dictionaries (not medical, law, etc but Chambers or Oxford Classical) all of the unabridged dictionaries have a status of "Not Available"

Is this false advertising by Amazon? Hopefully they are only working on it.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #19
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Question about the dictionaries, as it seems to be the main reason for you choice. I don't really know all those ebook readers yet, but isn't it possible to implement a dictionary on one of them if it's not included ?
Once you get a device, can you buy extra dictionaries ?
All in one, Kindle seems a good choice for you.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
kindle @web @wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really? How many different dictionaries are available for the Kindle? There are hundreds of different ones available for the Gen3.
There is a single New American Oxford Dictionary 2nd edition onboard the Kindle.
However, when I search "@web dictionary" I find many dictionaries where I can look up words: dictionary.com, merriam-webster, American Heritage, etc.

Again, users can even enter @wiki <term> to search Wikipedia for the term.

Wireless is integral to the Kindle experience; users outside the coverage area won't likely find greater benefit than other readers like gen3. Obviously, if the original poster is outside the coverage area, ie outside US, then the Kindle should probably not be considered if at all.

That said, I'll take the power of goggle and the potential of the web over static dictionaries. Plus the files don't have to be stored on the device, taking up memory. All this is from a dedicated 'Search' button on the Kindle keyboard.

Offline, since search can work across plain text documents, you can make up your own dictionary.

Also translate.google.com works well on the kindle.

huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #21
JPJ41
JPJ41 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Question about the dictionaries, as it seems to be the main reason for you choice. I don't really know all those ebook readers yet, but isn't it possible to implement a dictionary on one of them if it's not included ?
Once you get a device, can you buy extra dictionaries ?
All in one, Kindle seems a good choice for you.
All the dictionaries in PRC format can be implemented in the Cybook Gen3.
I have three of them, including the Littré (French one, a must have).
Concerning the other dictionaries, go to
http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/

As far as Iliad is concerned, go to the specific forum.
JPJ41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
I have not heard from Amazon support about being able to add other dictionaries.
There do not seem to be any DRM-laden standard dictionaries (except the preloaded New American Oxford Dictionary) available for the Kindle. It is possible to use DRM-free PRC dictionaries on the Kindle, but there can only be one "primary dictionary" at a time. Perhaps Amazon is waiting for multiple dictionary support before releasing other dictionaries. For now, if you want full access to several dictionaries (or a different DRMed primary dictionary) then either the Cybook or the iLiad would be better.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #23
l1n1234
Enthusiast

Wallcraft
Does this mean that you could make your own dictionary in mobipocket format, prc and replace the dictionary azw file on the Kindle to use as primary dictionary.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
Does this mean that you could make your own dictionary in mobipocket format, prc and replace the dictionary azw file on the Kindle to use as primary dictionary.
Yes. This works with, for example, GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
l1n1234
Enthusiast

Wanted to thank everyone for their input as it helped me immensely. Also to follow up on my decision.

I ended up getting the Kindle with the hope that Amazon will make other dictionaries available and if needed could always make my own mobipocket dictionary as Wallcraft said.

Here is my experience with the Kindle so far for anyone trying to make similar choices.

1. Ergonomics is perfectly fine. This was my biggest worry because on all the videos from Amazon and on Youtube the Kindle looked so unwieldy, bulky, and with misplaced next page button. In real life the thing is thin, light, fits well in the hand and the next page button is very useable and not an issue at all. Even my 7 year old daughter has no problem using the Kindle.

2. The default dictionary, The New Oxford American Dictionary is very capable. Lookup works very well and is snappy.

3. The Kindle is very feature rich with search, keyboard, select wheel, 6 fonts, show time, picture viewer, Igorsk keyboard shortcuts, etc. Ironically while the Kindle was designed for simple use I could see it appealing much more to a power use that could manipulate all of its feature. For instance, I find myself getting around the lack of PDF support by converting to jpg, cutting the page in thirds, rotating to landscape orientation, and using the picture viewer function in fullscreen 800x600 resolution and it is quite high quality.

4. Finally when you add on the wireless capabilities I find it just puts the device over the top. But even if you never turn on the wireless I find the Kindle a very functional ereader.

Thanks again everyone.

Lo
Old 05-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Glad to hear that you're pleased with your purchase. Enjoy it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is the average battery life of the Kindle when not using the wifi too much but still using the wifi?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #28
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the average battery life of the Kindle when not using the wifi too much but still using the wifi?
I read 3-4 hours a day, sometimes more, with the wireless turned on less than 1/4 of the time and I usually get 2-3 days out of a charge. It's not usually "empty" by the time I recharge it - somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4.

I did once put the device down carelessly (dog vs coyote in the back yard), and a notebook was wedged against the "page forward" bar. When I got back, about two hours later, the charge had gone from almost full to about a quarter, with continuous page flipping. Normally, left alone for that period of time, it would have put itself to sleep, but I guess it thought I was speed-reading
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #29
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yep. I often go a week on a charge if I haven't used the wireless much. It'll usually be about 1/4-1/3 when I recharge. I don't like letting it get really low.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote