Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #841
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@gweminence: Nope, no nesting on >= 5.4.2
Thanks, Nijule. Wonder what those guys mean, then.

Ah, well.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #842
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gweminence: That it's otherwise completely functional with 'flat' collections .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #843
klaing
klaing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
So I'm confused, to those of you who say you have CM working fully on 5.4.2.1, does this include successful nesting of collections? Because my understanding was that Ixtab pretty much said that only single-level collections (the problem that has plagued kindles from the start) are possible.

Can someone clarify for me, please? Thank you.

I suppose it depends on your perspective of how "working fully" is defined. For me it's a Kindle that is jailbroken, with the MKK pack, and the screensaver hack and finally the Collections Manager for Calibre. I'm okay with only single level collections, so it works fully for me.
klaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #844
klaing
klaing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithware View Post
Klaing, can you tell me which post/set of directions you used to successfully get CM and Kindle Collections working on the 5.4.2.1? I'm brand new to JB Kindles and there are about 800 threads to try and follow in this list......
Sorry for the double posting, but I have only just seen smithware's posting.

It seems that you've got everything sorted out now, but I first used the Jailbreak, then installed the MKK pack, then the screensaver hack. I installed Collections Manager last, but it really doesn't matter what order you do them in (I believe), as long as the JB is first.

I use the Collections Manager to streamline the organizational hierarchy from Calibre to the Kindle. And it's marvelous!
klaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #845
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaing View Post
I suppose it depends on your perspective of how "working fully" is defined. For me it's a Kindle that is jailbroken, with the MKK pack, and the screensaver hack and finally the Collections Manager for Calibre. I'm okay with only single level collections, so it works fully for me.
I disagree, it means working to the extent it is expected to work, that is to say, all functionality that is supposed to be there, is. Which in this case means everything up to single-level collections.

Since Collections Manager is not actually supposed to do hierarchical collections on firmware>5.4.0, everything is working exactly as expected, thus it is appropriate to say that it is fully working.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #846
marchon4
marchon4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Please add support for 5.4.4 on KPW.
It's just like 5.4.2 for KPW2. All previously invisible items in Home are now completely invisible, even in collections.
marchon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #847
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchon4 View Post
Please add support for 5.4.4 on KPW.
It's just like 5.4.2 for KPW2. All previously invisible items in Home are now completely invisible, even in collections.
It is a side effect of Cloud Collections. As soon as ixtab can get it working for 5.4.2 & 5.4.3, I am sure it will work on 5.4.4 as well.

If it can be done, that is.

I assume it is working, except for hierarchical folders, on the 5.4.4 firmware?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #848
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab:

FWIW, the update process to 5.4.4 deleted all my pretty nested collections built w/ CM. (Thought it'd have been fun to check how the DB migration would have handled nested collections...)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #849
pittapittae
pittapittae began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi to you all, thanks for your incredible work.
Updating to 5.4.4 deleted all my nesting too; I get the message "...5.4.4 which is not supported by this version of Collections Manager", so I guess we have to wait for a future CM update...
pittapittae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #850
dleighb
dleighb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
All right. I started at the beginning of this thread back in December when I got my PW2 which currently has 5.4.2.1 installed.

I think I jailbroke it at that time, but I'm not sure. Is there some way I can check?

I got to the point on Calibre where I created the "my collections" column, so that piece is in place. I think all I have to do at this time is install what I need to on my PW2 to link it to Calibre.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can simplify what I need to do at this point and the order I need to do it in. I've gotten lost with what works and what doesn't work and what version you need, etc. I might could wade through all the posts again, but I'm not terribly tech savvy, and it takes a lot for me to figure out if it applies to me or not.
dleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #851
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You need this kindlet, (and the Mobileread Kindlet Kit) plus the modified Kindle Collections plugin, linked in the OP of this thread. That's it.

You can just reinstall the jailbreak, worst thing that can happen is it updates the modification time on the jailbreak file.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #852
dleighb
dleighb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thank you! And now for what will make me sound really stupid, I am sure. What is a kindlet?

The fact that I am fessing up to how technologically ignorant I am shows how much I really want to bypass Amazon's stupid kindle collections management system. I'm afraid to turn on my wi-fi for fear that something will automatically update and make things even worse.
dleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #853
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleighb View Post
Thank you! And now for what will make me sound really stupid, I am sure. What is a kindlet?

The fact that I am fessing up to how technologically ignorant I am shows how much I really want to bypass Amazon's stupid kindle collections management system. I'm afraid to turn on my wi-fi for fear that something will automatically update and make things even worse.

Kindlets are like Java applets, except they specifically run on the Kindle. Collections Manager is a Kindlet, for example.

Ignorance is always perfectly all right when someone just got there for the first time; after all, we all must start somewhere!! I'm sure you will get the hang of it in no time at all.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #854
Nodnarb518
Nodnarb518 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I successfully installed the collections manager but cant seem to get it to link with Calibre. I used the kindle collections plugin but when I go to import it says it cant find my collections. I have one collection I made with the manager on the device so I know there's one on there. Using a PW1 with 5.3.9

Also is it possible to manually reorder books from within the manager or do I need to use Calibre for that?

Last edited by Nodnarb518; 03-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Nodnarb518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #855
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittapittae View Post
Hi to you all, thanks for your incredible work.
Updating to 5.4.4 deleted all my nesting too; I get the message "...5.4.4 which is not supported by this version of Collections Manager", so I guess we have to wait for a future CM update...
So our books are still there, right? We just can't get to them unless we get an update to CM? I ask because I had some collections nested pretty deep (romance ->historical ->regency->author, etc.) I didn't know this was not something that could be used in the update, or rather wasn't recommended.

Edit:

Heh, just noticed the disclaimer in the first post, in my defense I was on 5.3 when I upgraded.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the nested collections? I don't mind resorting everything in collections. In Calibre it appears to only pull the Amazon collections, and not the ones I made in CM, particularly my nested collections. I don't mind if the collections are deleted, I just want access to my books via the paperwhite1. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by trksh22; 03-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks