Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
At Last: *Front-Lit* E-Ink, Flexible E-Ink and ... E-Ink Watches!

E-Ink gets Flexible, Timely and All Lit Up

Apparently E-Ink is being sneaky. There's nothing on their own site, but they have been showing of some new kit at the FDP International In Japan.

Engadget is reporting that they are showing off a front-lit e-ink panel, the front lighting developed by Alps Electric. And mentions that they also have a flexible (read "not rigid" here) 9.7 inch panel on display.

Tech-On further elaborates that the front light "has a structure similar to the front light used in LCD panels, although its design was optimized for e-paper by 'finely adjusting the prism angle.'"

The 9.7 inch panel has an integrated flexible TFT substrate and a resolution of 1200 x 820. This panel, unsurprisingly, was made by our friends at PVI in Taiwan. And Tech-On notes that, "Mass production is scheduled for the second quarter of 2008."

And here's a bit of info that I don't believe we have seen before:
Quote:
E Ink is promoting the development of flexible active-matrix e-paper by combining it with the flexible TFT substrates developed by several manufacturers including LG Philips LCD Co Ltd of Korea and Plastic Logic Ltd of UK, in addition to Prime View International.
That sounds like something to watch.

I'm probably a goober, but I'm particularly interested in the watches.
Quote:
The wristwatch with an e-paper face was reportedly developed by Art Tech, a US-Hong Kong joint venture. By switching over the display on the watch face, users can enjoy various face patterns. The product is slated for release in December 2007.
I'll be watching for those!

Thanks to Alisa for the heads up on this one! Please join the on-going discussion here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iA.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6773   Click image for larger version

Name:	iD.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	6774   Click image for larger version

Name:	iB.jpg
Views:	1493
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	6775   Click image for larger version

Name:	iC.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	6776  
Old 10-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
That watch is awesome. I want one!
Advert
Closed Thread