Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #346
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1221 View Post
I have Windows 8 OS PC and am ready to install Linux.
What REVISION of Windows 8?

AFAIK Windows 8 home cant even run it's own code... You have to buy things from the Windows Store? to run on it?

you would have to check that also..

and THAT is the reason that programmers don't run Windows 8 [sic] (The death of MS)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #347
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
Hawhill and twobob,

You both tired to help me with a puttytel issue I had a few months ago when I tried to use the kindlevncviewer hack on my computer. Luckily the puttytel issue magically resolved itself, but I am still one step away from VNC nirvana! Specifically, I get the following error when I enter the last line of code needed to tunnel into my DXG via puttytel (see picture).

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Ben
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #348
bbhuston
Enthusiast

I just installed KUAL and the vncviewer extension. Unfortunately, I don't really know how I should edit extension config file to make it work on my machine. (Should I even edit this file or is the extension's readme instructing me to edit the values in the readme file itself!?)

The readme instructs one to change the values of "menu.json" and "hostnameort" to my actual values. Can anyone provide any examples or suggest how I can check what my actual values for these fields are? (I am retarded, so please word your responses as if you were speaking to a 6 year old. Also, pictures would be nice.)

Thanks!

Ben
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #349
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Typical networking rant below : D

Spoiler:
would be helpful if we knew what you settings were. I'm not psychic...

I see 192.168.2.1:1, 192.168.2.2 but without knowing exactly WHERE you put these values it's a struggle.

Have you tried to ping the devices from each other.

Have you tried nmap or some other port scanner to check the devices really are where you think they are.

What's the PC networking configured as, including the USB end if you doing it that way,

what are the settings in the kindle, Have you punched a hole in the firewall?

IIRC the port would be 5900+N, Where N is the display number. So 5900 and 5901 should utterly cover you as there is only one "for real" display...

what are the settings in the router if you are going via ssh, is it assigned the same static IP in the router each time if you do.

Need to know that you have run tests OTHER than trying to get the vncviewer script running.

Need more info to be helpful. Assuming I even could be.

BUT it says NOT FOUND... did you try running Dos2Unix on it?

are you running a windows system then? perhaps the line endings got mangled?

Last edited by twobob; 03-23-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #350
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Not to worry, many end-users are also retarded.
They just don't admit it.

The changes, if you have to make any changes, are done to the files mentioned, not to the readme file.

Take pictures of the displays of your current setup - someone will mark them up for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #351
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
bhuston: Seemingly, you did not copy the "kindlevncviewer" folder to your Kindle. It goes to /mnt/us, which is the _root_ folder when you connect the Kindle via USB mass storage (i.e. disk mode).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #352
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
bhuston: Seemingly, you did not copy the "kindlevncviewer" folder to your Kindle. It goes to /mnt/us, which is the _root_ folder when you connect the Kindle via USB mass storage (i.e. disk mode).
I was just about to suggest that he post a view of his /mnt/us - you beat me to the punch!

FWIW: Also that "Not found" error can occur in shell scripts that have mangled line endings
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #353
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Hawhill, twobob, and knc1:

Thank you for your responses!

I have a few for screenshots for you. The first shows the root directory of my DXG. The second shows the contents of my Kual vnc viewer extension config file.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Did I really install the kindlevncviewer folder in the wrong directory? Also, here is a picture of the contents of the kindlevncviewer folder installed on my DX.
Spoiler:

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by twobob; 03-23-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spoilers
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #354
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Okay. I tried installing the other kindlevncviewer folder to my DX's root directory, but now I am getting the following error when I try to tunnel in.

Is this progress or have a taken a step backward?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #355
twobob

Lets does something simple..

rather than running the .sh

let's just try to invoke it manually...

confirm that you have poked a hole in 5900 in your firewall for me please.
And you have vncservice running on the pc you want to vnc into.

it could be that 192:168:2.1:0 or 192:168:2.1:1 or 192:168:2.1:2 is the right DISPLAY to connect to...

the :0 is the display number itself...

I will have a look at the screenies in a mo. just in the middle of something.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #356
bbhuston
Enthusiast

I checked my firewall settings and both tightvnc server and tightvnc viewer are allowed to connect upstream/downstream through ports 5900 and 5901. Still getting the same strange screensaver error.

I tried pinging my device as well. A picture of the results is shown below.

Any hunches?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #357
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhuston View Post
I checked my firewall settings and both tightvnc server and tightvnc viewer are allowed to connect upstream/downstream through ports 5900 and 5901. Still getting the same strange screensaver error.

I tried pinging my device as well. A picture of the results is shown below.

Any hunches?
You are pinging the Kindle from on the Kindle.
You might as well be pinging LocalHost (same path in the kernel).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #358
twobob

ping it from your machine. Even windows boxes have ping.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #359
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Alright, I pinged my device again from my computer's run command line (a al "ping 192.168.2.1"). I think that the result was positive, but I've posted yet another pic just to make sure that I'm not stupidly misinterpreting what I've done.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #360
twobob

less then 1ms? seems pretty fast but yeah maybe.. both ends arent the same ip are they...

???

Will catch in the morrow

To be honest... Im so tired I cant think. That might be a stupid suggestion.

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc