Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
miwie
Connoisseur
miwie began at the beginning.

Device: Android, PB Pro 602
EPUB for GIT User manual

I'd like to convert the official GIT user manual (one single HTML page) into an EPUB using the following simple conversion process:

Code:
wget -O git-manual.html http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html
ebook-convert git-manual.html git-manual.epub
This works in general but I get kind of duplicated TOC entries because each chapter contains a sub-TOC with entries of this chapter. I'd like to omit these sub-TOCs and page breaks only on chapter level.

Any hints?
Moderator Notice
Moved to Conversion forum

Last edited by Starson17; 07-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.
miwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I'd recommend using the GUI, at least to start. ebook-convert goes with Calibre's default settings regarding chapter detection and page breaks. There are of course arguments for ebook convert, but that can get complex in a hurry. The GUI just takes care of all that for you. You probably just need to remove h2 from the chapter detection xpath and page break insertion settings, but that's dependent on the html structure.

If you want to switch over to the CLI later because you're integrating this with some script, check the debug log and it will show you all the options that were set during conversion - each of those options equates to an argument that can be passed to ebook-convert.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
miwie
Connoisseur
miwie began at the beginning.

Device: Android, PB Pro 602
Thanks for the hints.

In the meantime I managed to create Epubs from the AsciiDoc source files of the Git User Manual (and some other documents). Using a2x (from the AsciiDoc bundle) works out of the box
miwie is offline   Reply With Quote