Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #31
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, i used a Solio for mine. Its not perfect, but it works, since the iLiad needs at least 9V to be charged. And you need the Travel Hub and the car charging unit in between. I havent found any pins for it yet, that could be directly be plugged into the travel hub.
Soli o- german Solio - Homepage

Could be interesting for Reader users, since it comes equipped with a usb plug. Will see if it works with the cybook aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #32
Wizard-mag
Enthusiast
Wizard-mag began at the beginning.

I think that I had stumbled upon Sony Reader on CES some time before the August 2006, but it was really in the August 2006 that I can consciously remember I searched for a device that would allow me to read the huge amounts of text (articles, blog posts, forum posts, etc.) in the electronic format without the computer screen, which can for some reason drive me very exhausted after spending some hours reading on it.

Since that time, I have tightly follow the e-ink devices and MobileRead, though I haven't bought any of the devices offered so far. But now, Plastic Logic seems like a right thing for me.

Until then, I suppose I am left with printing the text on cheap old yellowish paper.
Wizard-mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When the iLiad is turned on, does it draw power for the wifi and the touch screen?

Can you turn off the wifi and touch screen abilities in order to get more battery life?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's a sensor in the stylus holder; the touch screen only powers up when you remove the stylus from its holder, and powers down again after three minutes of "non use".

The networking (wired or WiFi) only powers up when you press the "Connect" button which links the iLiad to the software download service or the PC, and powers down again immediately after.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard-mag View Post
Since that time, I have tightly follow the e-ink devices and MobileRead, though I haven't bought any of the devices offered so far. But now, Plastic Logic seems like a right thing for me.
Hmmm. We're probably 18 months to 2 years away from seeing practical devices based of plastic logic screens. You can read a heck of a lot of eBooks in 2 years! I certainly wouldn't wait - there will always be something better on the horizon.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #36
Wizard-mag
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. We're probably 18 months to 2 years away from seeing practical devices based of plastic logic screens. You can read a heck of a lot of eBooks in 2 years! I certainly wouldn't wait - there will always be something better on the horizon.
Well, I am quite OK with normal printed books from the library. It's those electronic texts that are not books that are on my mind.

Regarding the Plastic Logic products, I hope I might get one in around a year or some time later. I suppose that until then, printing on the paper is a better solution for me rather than buying a small e-book device and going through the trouble of converting the text for it.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Book conversion isnt really that difficult. I've done a lot of conversions and they've come out fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #38
Wizard-mag
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Book conversion isnt really that difficult. I've done a lot of conversions and they've come out fine.
Well, I was writing about articles, which is a bit different, since a book after conversion lasts relatively long, whereas to convert articles would be a much more time consuming activity given they are incomparably shorther and larger in quantity.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #39
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
The wait is killing me...

For me it was clear that eBooks were the future.

The Problem was they were always the future, just never the present.

I had been following e-ink development since R&D stage. I always thought that e-ink was one of the last pieces of our "all-digital" society. (I still do)
Finally last year when iRex announced the Iliad you all can imagine my excitement...
Following a link at Teleread I landed here and the wait for a ripe reader is killing me ever since.

Being a geek myself, it's hard to realize that for any tech product to succeed in mass market, it must be simple enough for the end user while providing and integrated (and pleasant) experience from purchase, to content, to support.
I'm thinking Dell (Which is everything an enthusiast avoids) but specially Apple: "simple and beautiful.". (BTW Apple still holds the trademark for "iBook" right? )
Are ebooks "consumer friendly" enough right now? (not yet)
but hey...were books ever "consumer friendly"? (Harry P aside...)

So a year ago I was full of hope, but not anymore.

Now I think consumers are gonna skip first gen e-ink and go straight to 2nd gen flexible displays which are cheaper and more durable. (Plastic Logic we need you...)

I still think the market for e-ink will be in document management and not literature. (books) (in this area we probably have a cultural problem more than a technological one..)

Anyway, E-ink is probably still 5 years away from mass market.
As for me, after seeing how slow things were going with iRex I said I'd buy an Iliad as soon as they released soft v. 3.5 (sadly, what started as a joke it's getting dangerously close to reality...) Now I'm waiting for the Iliad2. And the new joke is that I'll buy Iliad2 or the V9. Whichever comes first.

The wait is killing me...
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

While you've been waiting for the "perfect" product, BKeeper, some of us have been enjoying eBook reading for the last 10 years or more .

Does it really matter whether eBooks ever become "mass market" or not? Reading is itself something of a "niche" activity, don't you think? There's a lifetime - heck, many lifetimes - of reading out there currently, with 10s of thousands of freely available eBooks.

My attitude has always been to enjoy life for the present. There will always be something "bigger and better" on the horizon. Devices such as the Sony Reader and the iRex iLiad make superb eBook readers. Why not use them now?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 AM   #41
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Devices such as the Sony Reader and the iRex iLiad make superb eBook readers. Why not use them now?
Because while the Sony cost 299$ , the Iliad cost twice !!! (A little more then twice even).
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Because while the Sony cost 299$ , the Iliad cost twice !!! (A little more then twice even).
True, but the Sony Reader costs no more than a typical PDA does. I agree that the iLiad is rather expensive, especially in countries which have a poor exchange rate against the Euro.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #43
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I totally agree with you Harry. That's precisely why I said that the problem about ebook "success" is a cultural one, because reading (books) is a niche activity.

For me, mass market just defines the point where ebook readers can be an option for the casual reader. (I think we are nowhere near that point)

So do I care about mass market success? Not much, I'm not a casual reader.
I can assure you that the wait isn't keeping me from enjoying my pbooks every day...

It's just that I had a very clear list of requirements that an ebook had to fulfill, for me to buy it, and I think it's just now that I'm starting to see devices with potential.

The Iliad is an almost perfect device for me. (My only problem was power management, which for me was one of the few essential design goals for such a device.).
I was ready to buy it. But then they announced the Iliad2 with a bigger battery.

Money is not an issue for me... as long as the device does what I need it to do. Right now the Iliad does not, so money is still an issue

I'm waiting not because I'm the kind of person who is always waiting for the next big thing, but because the kind of material that I read is not available in electronic format anyway, so I'm busy scanning, editing, and formating... and reading pbooks...
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The iLiad in its current incarnation will give you about 10h reading time. I find that to be more than sufficient, personally - I recharge mine about every 3 days.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #45
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
I've first heard about the sony reader in wikipedia, while I was looking for some information on the e-ink technology.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote