Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #811
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Why is it difficult to downgrade?
Because it is the first firmware version, so there is no Amazon bin. The only way is by jailbreaking and flashing the OS from the diags partition.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #812
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Because it is the first firmware version, so there is no Amazon bin. The only way is by jailbreaking and flashing the OS from the diags partition.
Hmm. Well I'm jailbroken already...do you have a link handy for flashing the OS from diags? I couldn't find any good info on how to do that.

Regardless, thanks for your time.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #813
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Hmm. Well I'm jailbroken already...do you have a link handy for flashing the OS from diags? I couldn't find any good info on how to do that.

Regardless, thanks for your time.
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

ixtab is King!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #814
arcan
arcan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi everyone.
I have a paperwhite 5.4.2. I've jailbroken it, installed the meme plugin in calibre and the update_*_k5_ALL_install.bin but still can't export my collections from calibre to my kindle.
Can someone help me ?
Thanks
arcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #815
ehani
Connoisseur
ehani began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Tried this but got an error message saying the developer had not authorised this model for development.

Back to the drawing board for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Version 2.6.1

Collections Manager offers a much more flexible way than the built-in one to manage Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite collections.

Here's an (old) screenshot of what it looks like on a Kindle Touch with Firmware 5.1.x; the second picture is annotated with descriptions. The third picture shows the new entry format on a Kindle Paperwhite with Firmware 5.3.x, using the russian localization.

Attachment 98015Attachment 98013Attachment 110506

Features:
Requirements:
  • Kindle Touch: Firmware 5.1.0 - 5.3.7
  • Kindle Paperwhite: Firmware 5.2.0 - 5.3.9
  • Kindle Paperwhite 2: Firmware 5.4.0 - 5.4.2.1 (ATTENTION: FW 5.4.2 and 5.4.2.1 are supported, but not all of the functionality is working correctly. See this and this post for details).
  • Jailbreak
  • Developer Certificates and Kindlet Jailbreak. The best and easiest way to get these is to grab them from NiLuJe's snapshots, from the KUAL & KUAL extensions section. What you want is the All-in-one KUAL prerequisites. You will need to extract that file (for instance using 7zip), copy the contained update_*_k5_ALL_install.bin to your Kindle, and install it on the Kindle using "Settings > Update Your Kindle".

Installation:
Make sure that all requirements are met; download and extract the attached file, and copy the contained CollectionsManager.azw2 to the "documents" folder on the Kindle.

Localization:
Spoiler:

Starting with version 1.1.2, this program can be localized. If you want to have the program display something else than the default english texts, download this file and save it as "CollectionsManager-localization.txt" on the Kindle. More instructions are contained in the file itself.

If you have created or updated the localization for a particular language, feel free to post it - I will either update the localization file (if the Kindle supports the language out-of-the-box), or make the translation available from this post (if the Kindle doesn't natively support the language).

Languages that should work out of the box on the Kindle if the localization file is available (incomplete translations are marked with "(~)"):
  • english
  • french (NiLuJe)
  • german (diba, ixtab)
  • italian (Mterry)(~)
  • portuguese (zamana, denydias)
  • spanish (cristbo, coolpable)(~)
The latest revision date of the official (=committed to the repository) localizations is 2014-01-30.

"Unofficial" support for other languages (these must replace the english texts) -- I can't guarantee anything for these translations, but I'll at least try to update this post to point to all of the contributions that were posted in this thread):If you have created a translation for an "unsupported" language, please post it in this thread. I will then link to it from this post.

Upgrade Notes:
Spoiler:

This is only relevant if you had installed version 1.x.x and are upgrading to version 2.x.x.
  • The filenames have slightly changed between version 1 and version 2. Please remove all KTCollectionsManager.* files from your Kindle, and keep only the CollectionsManager.* ones.
  • The filename for the localization has also changed. Similar to what was stated above, it is now CollectionsManager-localization.txt instead of KTCollectionsManager-localization.txt
  • Sorry for the inconvenience.

Version history / release announcements / change log:
Spoiler:

Acknowledgements:
Special thanks to the following people:
  • NiLuJe, for numerous suggestions and tips, for the calibre plugin patch, and much more!
  • rorogio, for the icons and the help screenshot
  • jangell2, for the help with tweaking the icons
  • all translators, for making CM accessible to people around the world
  • everybody who contributed valuable feedback and suggestions
  • last but not least, everybody who donated to support CM development

Notes on Calibre Synchronization:
  • The Export function exports all collections which contain at least one "normal" item. However, it does not export the collection hierarchy (because Calibre does not support that).
  • The Import function will never remove collections; it will only update existing collections, or create new ones (visible in home by default). In particular, this means that after deleting collections from Calibre, you may also have to manually delete these collections from the Kindle.
  • Calibre Synchronization will never change the collection hierarchy, or the visibility of existing items. This applies to both import and export.

Other Notes:
  • To see which collections an item is contained in, either long-click it, or click on the indicator shown at the right.
  • Swipe up or down to "synchronize" the collections that are shown.
  • When using the "Create Collection" button, the newly created collection will be placed in the collection which is showing in the top pane.
  • Collection names must be unique. In other words: you can't have two collections with the same name. If you try to create a collection with a name that already exists, or try to rename a collection so that its name would conflict with another one, the operation will silently fail.
  • Fun fact 1: you can create infinite recursions, by including collection A in B and B in A
  • Fun fact 2: There is a little easter egg in the program which is triggered when you try to hide Collections Manager itself from the home screen and it (CM) hasn't been put into any collection. Try it out!
  • To integrate Collections Manager with the GUI Launcher or KUAL, and/or to actually hide Collections Manager from the Home Screen, see this post. Note that the launcher script has to be edited to use the correct filename (CollectionsManager.azw2, not KTCollectionsManager.azw2).
  • On 5.1.x Firmwares, the search bar disappears if the device enters sleep mode and wakes up again. There is no known workaround, but you could just actually use the device, so that it doesn't enter sleep mode ... or simply restart the application.
  • On Firmwares >= 5.2.0, the search functionality is not available.

Source code:
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/ktcollectionsmgr/

Totally Off-Topic:
Spoiler:

License, Redistribution and Links:
Collections Manager is released as Free and Open Source Software, under the terms of the Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License. You are free to share all Collections Manager files in whichever way you want. However, note that the links provided here are not necessarily stable. In other words: do not distribute direct download links to the files, but link to this post instead.

If you like Collections Manager:
I sincerely hope that you find this program useful. If you like the enhancements that it offers to your Kindle experience, you are more than welcome to donate a little something... but don't give your money to me. Please donate for a much more important cause, namely: for a Literacy project in Laos. You will make not only me happy. Thank you!
ehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #816
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Re-install the **Kindlet** jailbreak.

Easiest way - re-install the KUAL prerequisites package.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #817
ehani
Connoisseur
ehani began at the beginning.

Not sure how to uninstal original jailbreak. But thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Re-install the **Kindlet** jailbreak.

Easiest way - re-install the KUAL prerequisites package.
ehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #818
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehani View Post
Not sure how to uninstal original jailbreak. But thanks
Don't uninstall the device (hardware) jailbreak. Install the kindlet (software) jailbreak, which is something totally different. Most people seem to be confused by this odd naming clash, which is why ixtab opened a discussion (here) a mere 5 days ago to rename it -- as you can see, they haven't done so yet.

Just think of it as the MobileRead Kindlet Kit (the tentative new name) versus the *actual* jailbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Requirements:
  • Kindle Touch: Firmware 5.1.0 - 5.3.7
  • Kindle Paperwhite: Firmware 5.2.0 - 5.3.9
  • Kindle Paperwhite 2: Firmware 5.4.0 - 5.4.2.1 (ATTENTION: FW 5.4.2 and 5.4.2.1 are supported, but not all of the functionality is working correctly. See this and this post for details).
  • Jailbreak
  • Developer Certificates and Kindlet Jailbreak. The best and easiest way to get these is to grab them from NiLuJe's snapshots, from the KUAL & KUAL extensions section. What you want is the All-in-one KUAL prerequisites. You will need to extract that file (for instance using 7zip), copy the contained update_*_k5_ALL_install.bin to your Kindle, and install it on the Kindle using "Settings > Update Your Kindle".
Here is the direct link to (current version of) the All-in-one KUAL prerequisites: https://lb1.pcs.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_6ad4...0-r9476.tar.xz

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #819
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that by design, this link isn't stable. Expect it to get broken the next time I update the snapshots [Hence the snapshots thread].
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #820
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 2.6.2

Ok, so here is version 2.6.2.

There are *no* changes in terms of functionality. I have only changed the error messages to refer to the "Mobileread Kindlet Kit".

@NiLuJe: would you please update your snapshots thread to reflect/include the new naming? Once that is done, the "TODO" part of the first post of this thread can be changed accordingly. Feel free to edit that post -- or if you don't want to, just leave a message here or via PM. Merci!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #821
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: Will do .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #822
prculley
prculley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2
Battery life issue?

It MAY be a coincidence, but I have had terrible battery life since installing the collections manager (2.6.1) on my pw2 v5.4.0. I used to get two weeks or so on a charge, I now barely get two days. With the backlight off and in airplane mode.

I also installed the screensaver, just with my own photos, not the 'cover' option.

No obvious evidence of the indexing going on; is there any way to tell if something else is burning the battery?

I have aver 500 books, organized in Calibre, and the collection manager import worked ok as far as I have seen so far.
prculley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #823
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by prculley View Post
It MAY be a coincidence, but I have had terrible battery life since installing the collections manager (2.6.1) on my pw2 v5.4.0. I used to get two weeks or so on a charge, I now barely get two days. With the backlight off and in airplane mode.

I also installed the screensaver, just with my own photos, not the 'cover' option.

No obvious evidence of the indexing going on; is there any way to tell if something else is burning the battery?

I have aver 500 books, organized in Calibre, and the collection manager import worked ok as far as I have seen so far.
Have your reading habits changed since you started using the collections manager?

Maybe making as many page turns in two days, as you used to make in two weeks - back when you had nothing to read on the device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #824
nonamez
nonamez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
hello, can anyone explain to me how to do collection from folder on my paperwhite 2?
nonamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #825
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that by design, this link isn't stable. Expect it to get broken the next time I update the snapshots [Hence the snapshots thread].
Well, I dearly hope no one is only learning about it purely from that post! I only meant it for the sake of right now, and I didn't really expect anyone to read through the entire thread to find that once it was obsolete.

Good point, though.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks