Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa5168 View Post
How do you set this up? I've been trying, but can't get it to work.
I will leave this answer to DoctorOhh.
Quote:
Also, quick question. I have an author friend who self-publishes. Very frequently, he will send me a book to preview/read before he submits to Amazon. (He sends me the file in .epub as he knows I prefer Moon+.) In the past, I always imported the file into Calibre and then transfered to my device and it works flawlessly, however that meant waiting until I got home to my laptop if I wanted to add it to my library and therefore read on a different device. My question is, using this new CC, can I therefore just place the .epub he sends me into my CC folder (and thereby read in Moon+) and when I get home to the PC, my CC folder will automatically sync to Calibre? Or do I need to go into my device on Calibre and Add to Library? I guess either is OK as long as I can directly put that .epub into CC and have it available.

Please excuse my rambling. I'm really bad at putting things into words. Hopefully you know what I mean, haha.
If I understand you correctly, you put this book in the folder used by Moon+ so you can read it immediately.

If this folder is also the one used by CC, then assuming you answered "Yes" to the question about CC scanning your folders then the next time you connect to calibre the book will be added to CC's library. It will not be automatically added to calibre's library, but it is easy to do that. While connected, go to the device view on calibre and find the book. It won't have an "in library" check next to it. Right-click on the book and choose "add to library". Voila -- all done.

If the folder you put the book into is not managed by CC then CC won't find it. You must copy the book into CC's folder for it to notice that it exists.

Did I answer your question?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Create an All by Author category sorted by Author, Series and Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa5168 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
CC is great for sorting any way you want. I even have a user category that sorts by Author, Series, and Title. This keeps all books by any author grouped together and in that group ensures the series books are in also in order and the books not in a series are sorted alphabetically by title.
How do you set this up? I've been trying, but can't get it to work.
I'll take you through the steps. These steps were worked out by jackie_w and chaley a couple of years back to be used with Sony devices, but they work perfectly in this instance.

1. Create a custom column
  • Go to Preferences - Add your own columns
  • Click on the + icon on the right hand side to add a custom column. You should see a pop-up (see attachment 1)
  • From the dropdown list for Column type, choose Column built from other columns
  • Under Template place the following:
  • Code:
    {author_sort:titlecase()} - {series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}
  • Fill in the Lookup name and Column heading. I used mobilesort for both the look-up name and column heading.
  • Click OK, then click the Apply check mark
2. Update Sony Collection Sorting Tweak
  • Go to Preferences - Tweaks
  • Click on Specify how SONY collections are sorted (see attachment 2)
  • In the edit tweak window enter the following:
  • Code:
    sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['*'], '#mobilesort')]
  • Click Apply (lower right), then click Apply check top left
3. Update Device Interface plugin
  • Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface plugins
  • Select SmartDevice App Interface and click Customize plugin (see attachment 3)
  • Enter this in the save template:
  • Code:
    {author_sort}-{series}{series_index:0>2s| |-}{title}
  • Or if you want your books in sub-directories by author then check the Use sub directories box and enter this:
  • Code:
    {author_sort}/{author_sort}-{series}{series_index:0>2s| |-}{title}
  • In the Comma separated list of metadata to turn into collections on the device field enter the following:
  • Code:
    abs:%All by Author
  • Click OK then click the Apply check mark.
  • This is also the field where you can enter any columns you wish to automatically make into user categories on your Nexus. On my Sony I would have
    Code:
    abs:%All by Author, series, tags
    but Series info and tags are automatically handled by CC for grouping and sorting so I leave those off. Some folks use a custom genre column and here is where you would add the look-up name for the column, not sure of the look-up name try hovering the mouse over the column header. Usually folks that create a custom genre column also use genre for the look-up name and would end up placing
    Code:
    abs:%All by Author, #genre
    on that line. This will create multiple user categories on your device based on your genre column and one All by Author user category sorted by author, series and title (which is why we went through these steps). The reason I have the % before the All by Author is so it will sort at the top of the list.
4. Other things I would do when using Calibre with CC
  • Clean up by hiding the mobilesort column. Unless you like looking at it, simply right-click on the header and select Hide column mobilesort. (see attachment 4)
  • Go to Preferences - Sending books to devices and change Metadata management to Automatic management. Setting this will sync calibre's metadata with your device's metadata every time you connect. (see attachment 5)
  • Further cleanup by removing mobilesort from the Book details window. Go to Preferences - Look and Feel - Book details tab and uncheck mobilesort. (see attachment 6)
5. Restart Calibre

Next time you connect to your Nexus the user category %All by Author will be added to Calibre Companion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-createcustomcolumn.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	92577   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-sonytweak.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	92578   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-customizeplugin.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	92598   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-hidecolumn.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	92599   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-automaticmanagement.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	92600   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-bookdetails.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	92601  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-19-2012 at 10:02 AM.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
lissa5168
lissa5168 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (modded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Did I answer your question?
Yes, perfectly. Thanks!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-21-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added close quote
lissa5168 is offline   Reply With Quote