Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
E Ink shows off front-lit, flexible e-paper displays

Not sure if I missed someone posting this but I just saw this over on Engadget::

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/26/e...aper-displays/
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I like the lighting, I think, unless it's a battery hog. But I'm curious about what people think about the flexible displays: why would you want one and what would you do with it? If it's flexible, that implies it's unsupported and will be subject to being folded or kinked or otherwise mangled. Does someone have a good idea how such a thing would be practical and why it would be better than a rigid display? Just curious.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

The flexible paper would be great for things like advertising displays but for readers, I think the main implementation would be something like the Readius concept. The case controls how it rolls up.

You can see the Readius here:

http://www.polymervision.com/
Old 10-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The flexible paper would be great for things like advertising displays but for readers, I think the main implementation would be something like the Readius concept. The case controls how it rolls up.
Cool! I'm certainly in favor of smaller devices and larger displays.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Another advantage to a flexible display, even in a rigid case, is that it would be far less vulnerable to minor impact or torsion damage.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm astonished that this hasn't generated more excitement -- we've been belly-aching about not being able to read e-ink in the dark, and someone finally is working on a front-lit e-ink display, and it's greeted with the sort of enthusiasm usually reserved for visits by relatives you don't hate, but don't really like either. What's up with that? Everybody sleeping out there or something?

I'm pretty excited that E-Ink is pushing ahead with larger displays too, but the prospect of, say, a PRS-510 that has a front-light built in is a big deal -- that's one of the biggest perceived lacks in the present e-ink devices.

I'd also love to see an e-ink ring watch, since I evidently can't get an atomic clock receiver chip put in my head.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I suspect the large flexible screen is intended to give the feeling of reading a magazine. Just a guess.

I know that lack of lighting has been a sore point for a lot of people but it's not an issue for me. I have a good back lit screen on my Sony Clie and I find that I get eye strain from reading on it for a long period of time. I wouldn't want to turn it on and compromise battery life anyway so I'm happy without it.

Glad to see they're listening to their customers though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I'm with you NatCh. My whole reason for popping into the thread was to see if there was more info on that front light.

The image on engadget is really hard to figure out. An iddy biddy e-ink display in a gymondo case?

Given the coloration of that picture, the front light most likely uses a very tiny LED, or an array. This is good for battery life, though in relative terms, it will be a lot worse than the Reader's current 3 week average.

Great news! Now, the biggest issues are going to be (a) getting these into the Reader, and (b) making sure the LED isn't too blue.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Now, the biggest issues are going to be (a) getting these into the Reader, and (b) making sure the LED isn't too blue.
A bi-color LED would rock. It could be like having the regular Lightwedge and the new night-vision red one all in one unit.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Weird. I thought I did post in this thread.

Anyway, I do kinda miss the self-lighting on my eBookwise 1150. It will be a long time before I'll be able to afford replacing my iLiad, but if they come out with a self-lit model, I suppose it'll make my list eventually. As long as it still takes stylus input -- I use that too much to trade it for any other feature, even lighting.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I wonder why this couldn't be produced as an aftermarket light for the sony reader?
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:26 AM   #12
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Looks promising. Being front lit is far different from back lighting that alot of LCD monitors and handhelds use. So at least the level of eye strain will be less since light isn't directly shinning into the eyes. With this approach it should be easy to incorporate it into the current devices right now. If in the next few months this doesn't happen, something is seriously wrong with both Irex and Sony.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
I cannot understand this excitement over a torch fitted to an e-ink display. Switch on a light for goodness sake. The whole point of e-ink for me is it's small power consumption and lack of eye strain. I never saw any belly-aching over the fact that paper printed matter has no back, front or side light!
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Old argument, no possible resolution. Next....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post
I cannot understand this excitement over a torch fitted to an e-ink display. Switch on a light for goodness sake. The whole point of e-ink for me is it's small power consumption and lack of eye strain. I never saw any belly-aching over the fact that paper printed matter has no back, front or side light!
I would imagine the light would come with an off switch if you don't want to waste battery life on it. Yes, we know paper books don't have lights. One of the great things about technology and innovation is that we can actually improve on the way things used to be.