Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #16
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrioth View Post
Why implement a database as a filesystem when you can implement it as a database?
Yep. I had my own point of view. I always read one book at time. That
way I could manage it without db of all books, but make temporary one
for the book I read. Which suits me, does not the rest of the forum.
Something similar was used for cowon music players. My d2 makes db
of all albums/artists and shows them regarding the query. Db is made
pretty fast. Just as for books, I use directory search and follow directory
tree to find what I like to listen to. Instances are too distinct to have
mutual code for usage in our task.
At least, let Kobo people do something themself and enjoy the reading.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #17
bob451
bob451 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
My interest was in removing Preloaded books I have read or stumbled over from the Books list when the "My Books" [only] option is selected. It appears that such books have ReadStatus = "2" in the content table. Thus, the SQL commands to sqlite to list such entries and to reset them to "unread" are respectively:
Code:
select Title, ReadStatus, FirstTimeReading from content where ReadStatus = "2";

update content set ReadStatus = '0', FirstTimeReading = 'true' where ReadStatus = "2";
bob451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #18
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Yep. I had my own point of view. I always read one book at time. That
way I could manage it without db of all books, but make temporary one
for the book I read. Which suits me, does not the rest of the forum.
Something similar was used for cowon music players. My d2 makes db
of all albums/artists and shows them regarding the query. Db is made
pretty fast. Just as for books, I use directory search and follow directory
tree to find what I like to listen to.
I'm typically reading a number of books at once, and have a few more sitting in my reading list for reference, so for me, a database is useful. It also allows one to search for a book by multiple fields (Author, Title etc), whereas a book can only be in one directory at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob451 View Post
My interest was in removing Preloaded books I have read or stumbled over from the Books list when the "My Books" [only] option is selected. It appears that such books have ReadStatus = "2" in the content table.
I currently have one book in my database with ReadStatus = '2' and FirstTimeReading = 'true'. It's one of the internal books. I'll let you know if I receive any enlightenment about how exactly ReadStatus = '2' behaves.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Just posting some additional info here:

As above, setting ReadStatus = '0' and FirstTimeReading = 'true' will remove the book from the I'm Reading list

However, to add a book to the I'm Reading list it must have a DateLastRead as in:

update content
set ReadStatus=1,
FirstTimeReading='false',
DateLastRead='2010-09-08T23:10:10'
where BookID is Null and ContentID = 'ENTER YOUR CONTENT ID HERE'

That being said, I have successfully modified the I'm Reading list using Calibre for the first time. I have a bit of work to do but a future version of Calibre should support editing the I'm Reading list.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #20
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
You are a legend Tim. Can't wait for this feature in calibre.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
sounds simple, and the setting should be easily added in the Kobo firmware...
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #22
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
sounds simple, and the setting should be easily added in the Kobo firmware...
Like everything else, time, money and resources. While it might be nice to do individual changes in the reader itself, managing it via calibre is (will be) a lot quicker and more potentially more flexible.

I would lot rather have some options on the device to sort by some of the metadata like author for instance.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #23
farrioth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
However, to add a book to the I'm Reading list it must have a DateLastRead as in:

update content
set ReadStatus=1,
FirstTimeReading='false',
DateLastRead='2010-09-08T23:10:10'
where BookID is Null and ContentID = 'ENTER YOUR CONTENT ID HERE'

That being said, I have successfully modified the I'm Reading list using Calibre for the first time. I have a bit of work to do but a future version of Calibre should support editing the I'm Reading list.
Thanks for the information and for your time working on this. I assume the functionality will be implemented as a plugin? It would be nice to see a command-line interface or some sort of library so someone can write another interface if they want to.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #24
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the information and for your time working on this. I assume the functionality will be implemented as a plugin? It would be nice to see a command-line interface or some sort of library so someone can write another interface if they want to.
Hi

It will be part of the stock Calibre driver. Its features should include:
  • Manual Management of the device reading list
  • Update on send - New books get added to the reading list if they have the "I'm Reading" tag
  • Automatic Management - Calibre will overwrite the device's "I'm Reading" list with all books that are tagged with "I'm Reading" in the Library (obviously it only occurs if the book is on the device)

Apparently much of Calibre can be used from the command line but I have never looked into it.

A simple command-line script to clear the reading list would be fairly easy in theory but calibre looks after a lot of the complexities like which directory the device is mounted as etc. Anyone is welcome to use my code (once it is released) under the terms of the GPL but my time is pretty limited.

Tim
Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #25
farrioth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Update on send - New books get added to the reading list if they have the "I'm Reading" tag
On my Kobo (Firmware 1.4), new EPubs appear in the list automatically, so I don't think you'll need to worry about implementing this.

Quote:
A simple command-line script to clear the reading list would be fairly easy in theory but calibre looks after a lot of the complexities like which directory the device is mounted as etc. Anyone is welcome to use my code (once it is released) under the terms of the GPL but my time is pretty limited.
The main reason I ask is because the Calibre GUI isn't particularly nice (I'm aware that the latest version is only 0.7.17), and if I have a command-line tool I could put together an interface myself. The only functionality I really need is removing books individually from the list. What language are you using?

I don't expect you to go to the effort of coding this yourself, and the work you're already putting in is great.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #26
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
The main reason I ask is because the Calibre GUI isn't particularly nice (I'm aware that the latest version is only 0.7.17), and if I have a command-line tool I could put together an interface myself. The only functionality I really need is removing books individually from the list. What language are you using?
I was impressed with this project and how developer manages all comments
and complaints. There is a lot of them, of course, since it was started from
the ground. A lot of code has to be remade, but the overall usage is pretty
decent. Some new features should be added in a matter of weeks, to support
device handling. Kovid does not put something in if nobody wants it. So, new
thread on Calibre forum with question when it would be ready is what is
needed for him to take into account.
Some versions are better then others. 0.7.1 was stable as a rock.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #27
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
On my Kobo (Firmware 1.4), new EPubs appear in the list automatically, so I don't think you'll need to worry about implementing this.
Huh? What are you loading EPUBs with? Only time books ever appear in "I'm Reading" on my 1.4 kobo is after I open them. New EPUBS should just be listed in "Books" after load.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #28
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Huh? What are you loading EPUBs with? Only time books ever appear in "I'm Reading" on my 1.4 kobo is after I open them. New EPUBS should just be listed in "Books" after load.
I have not looked lately but I believe that the books get added to the list the first time kobo processes content after being disconnected. If you do not open that book after that first time it automatically removes the book from the list.

However because of the way new books are processed I will not be able to update the database since the the row does not exist in the database until after the kobo processes the content.

Tim
Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #29
Ambush
Ambush began at the beginning.

Device: Android
One of the things that should be seriously looked at for the next firmware release is being able to skip to a particular page rather than being forced to use the chapter scheme.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #30
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
I have not looked lately but I believe that the books get added to the list the first time kobo processes content after being disconnected. If you do not open that book after that first time it automatically removes the book from the list.
I humbly stand corrected. I never noticed that freshly loaded books appeared in "I'm Reading" - even with a little 'new' symbol on 'em - until next plugin when they disappear. That's actually rather clever...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i'm reading, kobo, sqlite