Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Spektakel
Spektakel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Cybook for backpacking

Hi all! Next month I'm going to backpack through Asia for a year, and I'm considering buying a Cybook. It would reduce the weight of the backpack greatly and allow me to actually read good books while traveling. The only thing that is really holding me back is all the stuff I read about broken screens.

Would a cybook be strong enough to live in a backpack for a year, probably with a modified hard case? Something like this would be great: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30660

I've also read that PDF support is not so great. But is it so bad that guidebooks in PDF format, like Lonely Planet offers, would be useless? And if so, could a firmware upgrade change that?

Thanks a lot for reading, any tips would be welcome!
Spektakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektakel View Post
Hi all! Next month I'm going to backpack through Asia for a year, and I'm considering buying a Cybook. It would reduce the weight of the backpack greatly and allow me to actually read good books while traveling. The only thing that is really holding me back is all the stuff I read about broken screens.

Would a cybook be strong enough to live in a backpack for a year, probably with a modified hard case? Something like this would be great: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30660

I've also read that PDF support is not so great. But is it so bad that guidebooks in PDF format, like Lonely Planet offers, would be useless? And if so, could a firmware upgrade change that?

Thanks a lot for reading, any tips would be welcome!
Well, the up-comming update should improve pdf support.

I carry my cybook everyday in the metro, with a stardard case. My screen got broke because something hit it bad. It should be ok, as long as you're carefull of where you put the cybook in you bag.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25156

People have been quite innovative to protect their Cybook.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
For backpacking I would probably use something like that - to give a basic protection and wrap it in a blanket to protect it from shocks.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What breaks the screen is hard knocks and (more importantly) any "twisting" force on the case. For backpacking, I'd suggest carrying it in some sort of rigid container, perhaps lined with foam. It should be just fine in those circumstances.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Spektakel

Thanks for answering everyone, I've just ordered my Cybook! I ordered the fake leather case with it, and am planning on putting it in the case in custom hard case (any suggestions welcome, again).

I'm planning on reading (among 'normal' books) guidebooks in PDF format. Do you think these pdf files (first chapters free for download) would be readable?
http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary...=1242153506822 (should be fine I hope)
http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary...=1242153506853 (could be more problematic?)

Anyway, thanks again!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Thanks for answering everyone, I've just ordered my Cybook! I ordered the fake leather case with it, and am planning on putting it in the case in custom hard case (any suggestions welcome, again).

I'm planning on reading (among 'normal' books) guidebooks in PDF format. Do you think these pdf files (first chapters free for download) would be readable?
http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary...=1242153506822 (should be fine I hope)
http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary...=1242153506853 (could be more problematic?)

Anyway, thanks again!
Hi Spektakel (that sounds Dutch ),

I tried to convert the Mongolia-guide download with Mobipocket Creator (pro, the other one doesn't do pdf's ) and in my opinion that went rather well.
I guess you can always convert your guides, text will be better readable that way.

And as a hard case you can use a tin DVD-box, one for 3 DVD-cases fits nicely around your Cybook with cover.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Spektakel

Thanks Erwin! So you're from Holland as well
Then you can probably tell me where to buy those tin 3-DVD cases you are talking about!

Thanks for trying out the download. I didn't even know that it was possible to convert PDF files to a Cybook native format. Is that possible for all PDF's? If so, I hope it's Linux compatible...
Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Thanks Erwin! So you're from Holland as well
Then you can probably tell me where to buy those tin 3-DVD cases you are talking about!

Thanks for trying out the download. I didn't even know that it was possible to convert PDF files to a Cybook native format. Is that possible for all PDF's? If so, I hope it's Linux compatible...
I'm no expert in converting. I just load the pdf in the Mobipocket Creator tool and see what comes out. Sometimes the result is good (like the pdf I converted from Robert Finn.......which was completely unnescesary because there is a mobi-download available on this forum ) and sometimes it comes out as crap (like the pdf from Robin Hobb, Assassins Apprentice). I guess the difference is in the pdf using letters (text) or scanned pages. But there are people in the technical part of this forum who can answer this much better than I can.

I once saw a 3 DVD-box about WW2 in a free-record-shop with such a tin-case. But my cybook is protected enough in its normal black cover so I didn't buy it. The cybook without cover fits in a normal dvd-case but including its cover you need a bigger one.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hope you have a wonderful time on your travels with your cybook. I take my reader everywhere when I travel and I have never had screen problems. Like others have suggested get a hard case and pack it in the middle of your backpack amongst soft things for extra protection.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
Hope you have a wonderful time on your travels with your cybook. I take my reader everywhere when I travel and I have never had screen problems. Like others have suggested get a hard case and pack it in the middle of your backpack amongst soft things for extra protection.
I'd actually put it against the back of the backpack. Most big backpacks have a rigid back. It's where I generally put those large things that shouldn't be moved around too much. And if you put it in last (after you filled your bag), it's even easy to take out if you're going by public transport.

I've traveled all over Europe way back, when I was still young, with my ebookman. I either had it in a front pocket of my bag (when I carried it around on my back) or in my hand when we were sitting in a train or bus

I hope you have a great time traveling around Asia, and take lots of pictures!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote