Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
Page break and TOC entries

Hi All,

I'm not really sure of this question or even how to frame it adequately so I'll outline the problem.

I am using InDesign, Sigil and Calibre.

I have typeset a book with footnotes, InDesign can export this well into epub and puts in all the footnote references and back-references and they work.

Unfortunately, InDesign exports it all into one .xhtml file (I know the problem with older ereaders and filesize limitations), the split file option doesn't seem to work.

In the CSS style sheet the p class Chapter Number has as one of its entries:

{
break-before:page;
}

But in ADE, KindlePreviewer and Calibre the Chapter Number doesn't start a new page.

I would need to use Sigil to break up the document but then the footnotes would all have to be edited to add the xhtml filenames to get the references to function.

Also, how do I get Sigil to recognise TOC entries from the p class Chapter Number?

So, I think I have two queries a) Page breaks at chapter number and; b) Sigil TOC from CSS style sheet.

Many thanks,

John.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post

In the CSS style sheet the p class Chapter Number has as one of its entries:

{
break-before:page;
}

But in ADE, KindlePreviewer and Calibre the Chapter Number doesn't start a new page.
AFAIK, break-before is a CSS3 property that is not supported by ADE and other older readers. Try page-break-before: always; instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post

Also, how do I get Sigil to recognise TOC entries from the p class Chapter Number?
Sigil cannot generate TOC entries from <p> tags, you'll have to (temporarily) change them to <h1> heading tags.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, break-before is a CSS3 property that is not supported by ADE and other older readers. Try page-break-before: always; instead.
This worked thanks. I thought I read somewhere that there were problems using page-break-before and had to be used in conjunction with page-break-after??

Quote:
Sigil cannot generate TOC entries from <p> tags, you'll have to (temporarily) change them to <h1> heading tags.
I'm not sure what you mean by "temporarily" how I could do this?
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
lissie
Enthusiast
lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Not quite sure why Doistu said the change to heading tags should be temprorary - they should be headers anyways so you can style them appropriatesly - and yest Sigil will then pick them up as a default TOC if that is what you want.

I'm not familiar wtih InDesign - but usually you just select the element and attach the style - Sigil will do it too
lissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissie View Post
Not quite sure why Doistu said the change to heading tags should be temprorary - they should be headers anyways so you can style them appropriatesly - and yest Sigil will then pick them up as a default TOC if that is what you want.
Of course, they should ideally be h1..h6 headings, but since the OP used a "p class Chapter Number," the only way to have Sigil generate a TOC would be to replace all of these paragraph tags with h1..h6 headings. Afterwards he could theoretically rename them back to paragraphs tags to restore the file to the condition before generating the TOC, however, it'd pretty much pointless.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert