Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Any hack to make default ebook text bold?

I sent my K3 a PDF that was converted to text by Amazon, and for some reason every other paragraph was bold. At first I didn't mind, but then I realized that bold text is much easier to read on a kindle than regular text. It's almost like getting a 50% boost in contrast!

So the question is, is there any available hack that can tell the K3 to display normal text in any ebook as bold?

Thanks!
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Just use the fonts hack to replace the default font with a bold version.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Sweet! Thanks a lot. Now I'm gonna do some research here to see how this is done, since I've never done it before. I am jailbroken already, though, for the screensavers hack, so I guess it shouldn't be too many other steps.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
judith009
Groupie

I installed the font hack, and replaced the Serif_Regular.ttf with a copy of Serif_Bold.ttf, restarted the kindle, but then there was a problem opening some books. Over half of my books wouldn't open, and the error message said that "the selected item could not be opened". Does anyone know why this might have happened? I guess i'll just uninstall the hack for now.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Did you duplicate Serif_Bold.ttf or just rename it? If you renamed it, maybe one of your books was using a bold font, and it encountered an error.
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
judith009
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Did you duplicate Serif_Bold.ttf or just rename it? If you renamed it, maybe one of your books was using a bold font, and it encountered an error.
I duplicated it, so the original bold font was still there. Also, the books that did work really did show up all bold after the hack, as I had intended. It's just strange that half of the books wouldn't open.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Wow, that is really strange. I'm not super familiar with the fonts hack though, so I can't really help you with it =/ (I've used it before, but uninstalled it because I'm fine with the default font)
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
judith009
Groupie

Thanks for the help anyway. I'm just surprised others haven't tried to do the same thing, because of the increased contrast.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Well, bold is basically a larger font. As such, you get less text per page with bold.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
judith009
Groupie

Yes, you get less text per page if everything is bold, but it's still a ton more text than the next font size up.