Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Handyman1
Handyman1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4g
Smile Convert to EPUB without Cover Page?

I would like to eliminate the cover pages entirely during conversion. How is this done? I want to see the first page of the content, not the cover, when I select the book in Stanza.

Right now, I'm seeing either a blank page, or the Title and the Calibre icon/logo image as a cover. Is there some way to eliminate the cover entirely?

I'm converting from html to EPUB, for Stanza on an iPod Touch 4g.

Thanks.

Last edited by Handyman1; 10-10-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Handyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are you selecting "no default cover" for ePub output? On the command line this is --no-default-epub-cover.

Note that ePub has the convention that the first page is the cover, so readers that show the cover will show the 1st page even if it a page of text.

Mobipocket suggests marking the ePub cover as linear="no" in the spine. This is probably a bad idea for a widely used ePub, but you could see if this works (i.e. skips the cover on start) with Stanza. The new Tweak epub Calibre feature should allow you to test this.

Last edited by wallcraft; 10-10-2010 at 10:05 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Handyman1

Yes, I checkmarked "no default cover" and "no SVG cover" but I still get a cover page.

If I create the ePub in Sigil, Stanza displays the book without a cover. I'm trying to get this to work in Calibre.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman1 View Post
Yes, I checkmarked "no default cover" and "no SVG cover" but I still get a cover page.
I'm not sure how to do what you want, but No SVG cover just means it will use a JPG instead and stanza views JPG images fine. I don't think Stanza displays SVG images. Unchecking No SVG cover might at least give you a cover you can't see.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Right now, I'm seeing either a blank page, or the Title and the Calibre icon/logo image as a cover. Is there some way to eliminate the cover entirely?
Used to be that the remove cover button in edit metadata actually worked for a conversion.
You can download an older version of calibre (before 7.x) and convert them and reimport them into the newer version.

I was told that the code hadn't been changed that handles this for quite some time and to enter a ticket with a sample file which I did. Perhaps it works in linux?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
Handyman1

Well, it started working OK when I tried converting some newer files. Maybe once there's a cover in the ePub file, the Calibre "no default cover" option doesn't remove it. I'm not really sure, but it seems to work now. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I too am getting a cover when I don't want one. I am new to this. I am converting my own short (14 pp.) .pdf file to .epub, and I am getting the first page of text as a cover. I've checked "no default cover" and "no SVG cover" and I still get the cover page. I've also tried it with only "no default cover" checked, same result.

If I can't get rid of the darn cover, I at least create a cover page of my own that won't show up as both cover and the first page of text? Thanks!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your input document has a cover (in the case of PDF the cover is assumed to be the first page of the file) then the output epub will use that cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not following this. I want to avoid having the first page of my .pdf show up twice--once as a cover and once as the first page of text. How do I do that?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You specify something else as the cover.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

????

How? Where is the option to do that?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

set a cover for the book, it will be used instead of the cover from the input document.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

HOW? HOW do I set a different cover?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
HOW? HOW do I set a different cover?
Edit metadata window (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editmetadata.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	59859  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you!