Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #16
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I just opened my Reader, unplugged the battery and replugged it as per instructions here (found I needed to reset too to prompt charging).
Hopefully this will overcome recent problems I've had with it not charging and extra short discharge cycles (less than a day).
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Went down one bar today..
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #18
AprilHare
Wizard

Okay, it went down to one bar this evening.
Not a very long recharge cycle... but much better than before.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #19
matute2001
matute2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hello, you know where to buy the replacement for this model? I searched on Ebay, internet, etc and no battery replacement for the 600.

In Spain they do not give support because they do not sell it yet.

I hope you can guide me a bit. thanks
matute2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by STReNT View Post
It's pretty simple.

Take the 2 screws out of the back and then slide the cover to the side.
2 questions:

I have the 600, and I have a skin on it. Can you (or anyone) please tell me exactly where the screws are? I see two teeeeny tiiiny ones -one on top and one on the bottom of the reader. If the screws to take it apart are on the back, maybe someone can describe in detail so I may not have to peel off the whole skin? Or, even better, post a pic for me?

I unscrewed the screws but I can't slide anything anywhere, at least not without feeling I may break something. (Actually the guy at the battery store (below) had a teeeny screwdriver, but he wouldn't touch the ereader after that, lol. Guess I can't blame him, people need to be extra cautious). If those are the screws to access the guts, do I need to be braver and put a little oomph into it?

I stopped in a battery store and he said they don't carry generic batteries (and no ereader batteries), but I think maybe there's a chance he's wrong, and there may be a battery I can use. Ok, not technically wrong cuz if I found a battery it wouldn't be generic, tecknickly it would belong to another product. But I see hope ahead .
So, can anyone tell me what battery I'm looking for?

Pleasee, and thankee
OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
On the back of my PRS-600 there is a 5mm wide slightly shiny metal strip running from top to bottom at the hinge, or spine, side. The rest of the back is covered by a rubbery anti-slip coating.

The screws in question are indeed on the back of the reader. They're both on the shiny part - not the rubbery part, and are about 11mm down/up from the top/bottom of the reader.

I don't know how much of the reader your skin covers, but the entire rubbery part is what slides away from the shiny part. I suspect your skin covers the entire back, thus bridging the dull (rubbery) part and the shiny part. Otherwise, you'd be able to see the screws. You may be able to peel back just the area that covers the shiny part to get at the screws.

Good luck with your project. And if you find a replacement battery, please post the information here. I'm sure there are going to be other owners needing batteries as the devices age.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
Thanks for the info. Sadly my skin not only covers the entire back, it's a wrap around so I will have to peel most of it off. *sigh* I've read that a cool blow dryer will help reshape the skin making it easier to reuse. Dammit, I just put the skin on a couple of weeks ago, lol. Oh well.

If I find a battery, I will definitely post back here. If anyone else finds one I hope they'll post here.
OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #23
matute2001

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by matute2001 View Post
Hello, you know where to buy the replacement for this model? I searched on Ebay, internet, etc and no battery replacement for the 600.

In Spain they do not give support because they do not sell it yet.

I hope you can guide me a bit. thanks

I still looking for the battery Replacement, I can not understand how there is no salesperson to provide that.

I hope someone tell where to buy, or if there is no way to adapt another model battery, for this model.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
r9dman
r9dman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 Silver
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by matute2001 View Post
I still looking for the battery Replacement, I can not understand how there is no salesperson to provide that.

I hope someone tell where to buy, or if there is no way to adapt another model battery, for this model.

Thanks.
You can get it here and here.

Have the same problem, ~400 pages per one charge, I'll try to unplug the battery too
r9dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #25
matute2001

Exclamation GREAT NEWS!!!! here comes the battery

Hi, I found the battery! arrive in a few days

I hope many people like me could finally take back the PRS 600, running.

Greetings from Tenerife and Happy New Year.

http://cgi.ebay.es/Sony-Ebook-reader...item2a0d0c4491

If the link does not work, the seller is best-battery

http://myworld.ebay.es/best-battery/

(edit 15/01/2011)
I just got the battery!.
Replaced it in minutes.
Here are some pics of how is the battery and how it fits into the Sony PRS-600.

If you have questions, ask me.

Greetings.

Last edited by matute2001; 01-15-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #26
AprilHare
Wizard

Shame it's rated lower than the original battery.
Good to see people can get replacement batteries though!
Tenerife eh? Hi from Sydney, Australia
The original was marked 3.7V 3.1 Wh - that implies a 840 mAh battery.. according to Wolfram Alpha that is about 0.55 × Kindle battery capacity (about 1500 mAh).

Last edited by AprilHare; 02-16-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #27
AprilHare
Wizard

matute2001, did you secure it with double sided tape?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #28
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
Hi to everyone,
Just wanted to say that I have just ordered a battery for my PRS 600. I'm in Melbourne Australia and looked on Ebay. The battery is coming from Canada and the total price including postage is $17.70 which is a great price when compared with the Sony battery which is over $70.00 and that's without postage. So Happy Days!!!
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #29
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvee View Post
Hi to everyone,
Just wanted to say that I have just ordered a battery for my PRS 600. I'm in Melbourne Australia and looked on Ebay. The battery is coming from Canada and the total price including postage is $17.70 which is a great price when compared with the Sony battery which is over $70.00 and that's without postage. So Happy Days!!!
Goodonya elvee, let us know how you go with it
Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #30
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
I'll let you know when the battery arrives and if it works out as I'm hoping. Bit wary of taking the back off!!
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote