Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #181
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Also holding out for a comparison to the new Kindle. The Kobo has the edge due to the SD-Card and flush, capacitative screen, I just want to know about performance on both.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #182
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
When will the pink one be available! I want one LOL. I can't find a link on the site to ask CS.

Ok, found the link, sent the question, will report back!

Last edited by booklover6; 09-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #183
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
If I were to buy one, it would be the pink too
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #184
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are not available on the French site, either? I wonder if the Canadian folks have them available to order.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #185
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
They are not available on the French site, either? I wonder if the Canadian folks have them available to order.
The Aura HD was available in France one month after its release date. So far the Aura page states "coming soon"
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #186
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
and only black on the UK site.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #187
qfwfq
Enthusiast
qfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-650; Kobo H2O; Kobo Libra 2; ONYX BOOX Note Air 2 Plus
No new carta screen on new Kobo Aura....?

ay ay ay.....
qfwfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #188
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Just the black one
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #189
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well I want to wait for the pink one...no rush. I want something different!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #190
venussuz
Part time techie
venussuz began at the beginning.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire, Android phone
I'm looking to get away from Kindles as I've been advised by Kindle CS to keep no more than 100 books on the ereader. What they don't understand is that it's not the number of books on the device causing me (and many others) difficulty, it's the number of books in the Amazon archive - just over 10k in my case.

So I'm practically drooling at the idea of having thousands of books on a Kobo Aura, thanks to the sd card. A couple of questions:

This collections feature, is it possible to have sub categories within a collection, or whatever they're called on the Mini, Glo or Aura HD?
Has anyone had trouble because of putting too many books on the sd card, ie slower page loads and turns, even so far as constant reboots caused by too many books? I'd like to store between 3 and 4 thousand books on the device. (Gotta love the 32 gb cards)
It looked like a lot of glare in the video - is that a problem with the Aura HD? I really shouldn't even bother asking, being pretty much a cave dweller where I live in Mid Michigan, but I'm still curious.

FWIW, I have the new Kindle on order but would love to get the Aura 6 before the end of the month so I could compare the two then hopefully tell Amazon to stuff it.
venussuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #191
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I am not convinced that this is worth upgrading from the Glo. But if you don't have a lighted Kobo, then this is worth a serious look see. I have the Aura HD and I am really happy with it. Who would have thought that 0.8 inch could make such a difference to the reading experience, but it does. I am really enjoying the extra screen real estate, and all things considered, I would recommend the Aura HD rather than the new 6 inch Aura. But I should also state that I am almost as blind as a bat....not strictly true, but sufficiently visually challenged to appreciate a 6.8 inch screen.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #192
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by venussuz View Post
This collections feature, is it possible to have sub categories within a collection, or whatever they're called on the Mini, Glo or Aura HD?
Has anyone had trouble because of putting too many books on the sd card, ie slower page loads and turns, even so far as constant reboots caused by too many books? I'd like to store between 3 and 4 thousand books on the device.
No you can't have subcategories.

I have found when I have too many collections, I get slower response time opening the collections pages. I have 1200+ on my Glo now, on the SD card, with less than 4 pages of collections, and no slowness at all.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #193
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfwfq View Post
No new carta screen on new Kobo Aura....?
Apparently Amazon has a 2-3 month exclusive on the new Carta screens. Will be interesting to see what the actual difference between the screens is in use (specs look better, but are we getting to a point where improved specs don't really mean much in actual use?). For Kobo I think it would have been a business mistake to wait and not have a new 6" with low flash screen and the near perfect Aura lighting going into the Christmas season.
Actually I'm hoping they come out with a new Aura HD early next year with the Carta screen and lighter weight. Weight is my only complaint with the Aura HD and I don't think I could go back to a 6" screen full time. The Glo is still nice, but the Aura HD is nicer (as will the new Aura likely be).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #194
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by venussuz View Post
It looked like a lot of glare in the video - is that a problem with the Aura HD? I really shouldn't even bother asking, being pretty much a cave dweller where I live in Mid Michigan, but I'm still curious.
The Aura HD doesn't have any glare, but the Aura is a different type of screen so until it's in the wild where people can get hands on I'm not sure this question can be properly answered regarding the new Aura.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #195
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've been giving a lot of thought to the Aura. And what it boils down to is: I still want an Aura HD.

The main things for me are the larger screen and much higher resolution. I have no problems with IR on my Touch, so the capacitive touch screen doesn't have a lot of appeal. Similarly I don't even notice the flash on my Touch anymore so Regal... *shrug*.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote