Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Buckeye
Buckeye began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
Question Need help....for EB1150

Here is my question: I have many ebooks in pdf file format(purchased prior to owning the device). I understand that my new EB1150 does not support these types of files. I have searched for pdf to html, txt, doc and etc type software. Even tried a few. I am having one heck of a time. I am not that computer savvy at all. I downloaded the pdfread version and ended up losing the material (dang it, was a really good book). User fault I am sure. I looked within this website and have found certain information then they start using words like half-landscape, -commands..very clueless.

Is there a user firendly conversion software out there for this device?? Or if anyone can explain the process in laymen terms would be great!!

Thank you for any adice in advance!

If I put this question in the wrong forum, I apologize.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Here is my question: I have many ebooks in pdf file format(purchased prior to owning the device). I understand that my new EB1150 does not support these types of files. I have searched for pdf to html, txt, doc and etc type software. Even tried a few. I am having one heck of a time. I am not that computer savvy at all. I downloaded the pdfread version and ended up losing the material (dang it, was a really good book). User fault I am sure. I looked within this website and have found certain information then they start using words like half-landscape, -commands..very clueless.

Is there a user firendly conversion software out there for this device?? Or if anyone can explain the process in laymen terms would be great!!

Thank you for any adice in advance!

If I put this question in the wrong forum, I apologize.
It is not an easy task. There are PDF converters that convert a file directly for use on the eB-1150. They way they do this is by making a picture of the page and then displaying the picture on the eb-1150 sideways. This can provide the 2 pictures per pdf page that you were talking about. One such program I have used is called PDFRead. It works exactly this way.

The basic problem is that most PDF documents are designed to look good on a 8.5" x 11" piece of page and to display this exactly correct on your eb-1150 which is only 3 1/8" wide and 4.5" tall is a difficult task. Even displaying sideways with only 1/2 page means you still have to squeeze 8.5" into 4.5" which make the font pretty small and all the images pretty small.

Some PDF documents are really nothing more than pictures, even though they look like text and pictures. There is really nothing more you can do with those. Others are actually text and may have a picture in them as well. These kinds of PDF files may be able to be converted more successfully. Try saving the document as text from within Adobe Reader and see what you get. If you get all the text then you could use that as a starting point for converting and import the text into eBook Publisher or into word for later import.

There are some programs you can buy that will convert the text of a pdf intelligently into flowable text that can be easily converted to your eBookwise reader. This can ease the task a bit.

The real problem is that PDF was never designed to be used on smaller devices. It was designed to be printed on a piece of paper.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Buckeye

Thank you for your response!

Which software that you can buy that you are referring to?

As for learning how to save Adobe files to html/txt..I'm lost tried that option and it would not allow me. All of my pdf books I purchased legally so I know that copyright problems are not the source.

What is eBook Publisher??

Sorry if it seems that I am a bit dense, just that I bought my EB1150 and have not recieved it yet. Trying to set my books up so I can load and go once it's here.

Thank you again for your advice!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
You can download eBook Publisher here. This software is provided by the manufacturer of the device for converting files to the format used by the reader.

As for extracting the text from your PDFs, it is possible that the publisher of the protected PDFs doesn't allow the text to be copied or extracted. You may have to try to find a way to break the DRM, if you are comfortable with that.

Instead of Adobe Reader, you may want to try PDF Text Reader available for free from here. I find that it preserves the flow of the text better than Adobe, but you will lose formatting such as italics and bold.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Buckeye

Thank you Stephanos for the information..love the text reader!!!!

I found out that I have an ETI2?? I can't seem to be able to do anything with this damn thing. Calling support! LOL
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thank you Stephanos for the information..love the text reader!!!!

I found out that I have an ETI2?? I can't seem to be able to do anything with this damn thing. Calling support! LOL
What exactly is the anything you can't do? Will it power up? Can you read on it?

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
Thank you for your response!

Which software that you can buy that you are referring to?
Foxit Reader at http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php is a free pdf reader and may export pdf files to text, provided they are not encrypted.

From there, it is an easy matter to recreate a book using either GEBLibrarian or eBook Publisher or Book Designer.
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Convert PDF.

First post, hi everyone!

I stumbled across a program called "Free PDF to Word converter" which does just what it says.

My current trick for the Palm or the EB1150 is to use this program convert to a .doc file, then load the .doc and save as a text file then import using the various tools. (In fact you may not need to save to a text file, but I do this as I read on a Treo 755p and my wife uses the EB1150.

www.hellopdf.com is where I found it, and I didn't notice any spyware issues after installing.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote