Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #121
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I adore the mountains... If I could, I'd got there every holiday. Not France though, I've never liked France. I prefer Switzerland ...
France is very varied - has just about everything except desert. Two sides of the French hexagon are very mountainous - Pyrenees and Alps. Our son recently climbed Mont Blanc, with a couple of friends - altitude 4,695 m (15,404 ft) - his photos are fabulous. One side of the hexagon is Mediterranean and another Altantic - entirely different climates. The northern one is temperate and north-eastern one is more like the low countries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hexagon.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	64508  

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #122
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I lived in South Carolina for 11 years.

Sunday morning at the Gervais Street bridge over the Congaree River in Columbia.

The Congaree River from Gervais Street.

Silhouettes by the river.

Paddling on the Saluda River near the Riverbanks zoo.

Herons and gulls at Riverfront Park on the Broad River

Lake Jocassee in Upstate South Carolina from Upper Whitewater Falls..

Upper Whitewater Falls in North Carolina

Lower Whitewater Falls in South Carolina

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #123
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Country road near the Wateree River in South Carolina

Osprey on Lake Marion

The Battery in Charleston

Home on Bay Street

Rainbow Row

Charleston from Sullivan's Island

Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor from Fort Moultrie

The Cooper River Bridge from Sullivan's Island

Last edited by BenG; 01-10-2011 at 11:28 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #124
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
BenG - Very nice photos, particularly like the silhouettes and osprey. The Battery looks almost like a painting - perhaps because of the resolution.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #125
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post

right about here
This looks like the Walmart at Speedway and Kolb in Tucson. I used to live in Tucson many years ago and still visit every year.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #126
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
how can you tell one from the other?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #127
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Ben, lovely pic's. Another destination to add to my trips in the coming years.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #128
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
I have to say this thread strikes out as my favourite so although new in the forum, I decided to chip in.

I live in London, UK but I am from Corinth in Greece.

Corinth is mostly famous for it's ancient history. Neolithic artifacts show that the site of Corinth had been occupied as early as the fifth millennium BC. Story (i.e. mythology) has it that Sisyphus was its founder and first king. Also Jason, the leader of the Argonauts, died in Corinth.

In terms of art, the Corinthian order is also very famous and is still used all around the world.

A quick look at the buildings of the modern city of Corinth will show how "new" it is though. In 1858 after a destructive earthquake the city was moved from the site of Ancient Corinth to its present position. Then another earthquake in 1928 completely destroyed the city again (if you ever live in Corinth you WILL get used to the earthquakes, they're very often!).

I love Corinth for its great variety in beaches and seafood taverns. I love it at dusk and dawn and I've never seen a full moon as huge and red as it can be on the Corinthian summer sky. As the above pics are not mine and can be easily found on the internet, see below a few pics of mine.

These two are taken at a beach laying just next to the ancient temple of Hera (more pics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraion_of_Perachora)

These two are taken from the acropolis of Corinth, the Acrocorinth (more pics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrocorinth)

Also, I'd like to thank all of whom posted their pics in this thread! I learned so many things thanks to you guys...
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #129
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Dang it, BenG!! You have just confirmed my suspicions that Charleston (and the Carolinas) are beautiful! However, they've been struck off our list of "possible places to live" due to hurricanes.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #130
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
France is very varied - has just about everything except desert. Two sides of the French hexagon are very mountainous - Pyrenees and Alps. Our son recently climbed Mont Blanc, with a couple of friends - altitude 4,695 m (15,404 ft) - his photos are fabulous. One side of the hexagon is Mediterranean and another Altantic - entirely different climates. The northern one is temperate and north-eastern one is more like the low countries.
I know. We used to go on holidays in France when I still lived at home....

Part of my not wanting to go to France is my lack of knowledge of the language. I never liked going on holiday in a country where I didn't speak the language. We also never go to the French part of Switzerland, but the German part (I can get myself understood in German, if nothing more).

But I remember a holiday... We were going to the coast (we used to go to Le Lavandou every spring). And we stayed in the Central Massif overnight on our way there. When we woke up in the morning, everything was white! We always went with our neighbours who already were at the camping on the coast, and I remember dreading every sunbeam we met on our way there, because I wanted to take some snow with us (naturally, the car was completely dry again by the time we reached the coast, but, hey, I was still young!).

And I got run over by a car on the way there and got into the hospital with some hair fractures in my jaw and they'd give me French bread with some bird to eat... And I couldn't chew at all

Ahhh, memory lane!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #131
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I adore the mountains... If I could, I'd got there every holiday. Not France though, I've never liked France. I prefer Switzerland...

You're mean... Showing pictures of snow and then saying you don't care for it...

(nb, these pictures were taken during last winter, we've not had that much snow this winter yet and probably never will...)
Your pic's are lovely. If you ever want snow when we have it, you're here by invited! ( extra attraction: we have a working mill).
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #132
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #133
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
By the way the bums on the outside dress.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #134
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Ben, lovely pic's. Another destination to add to my trips in the coming years.
You're gonna be busy ...LOL

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #135
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post

The Battery in Charleston

I used to dip net for shrimp here, but usually caught more crabs than shrimp. One of da buggahs nearly took off a finger!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote