Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
neekee
neekee began at the beginning.

Device: none
What Brand SD Card To Use?

Sorry I'm making another thread so soon.

Do sandisk sd cards work well for the daily edition? I have a 32gb collecting dust in my desk. So I would like to make some use of it. I've read that the more files stored the slower the transfer.. which only makes sense. I don't even have a third of that to keep on the card. Anyway does anyone know if a sandisk 32gb works on the daily edition?

Last edited by neekee; 02-27-2010 at 10:31 PM.
neekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
The brand shouldn't matter. Just chuck it in and see what happens. The worst thing to happen will that it won't work.

I've got a cheap unbranded one in my 600. Works fine.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Usually you can use any SD-Card. Some may work better than others.
What I recognized though, is the fact that "faster" cards can cut down page turning and book loading times immensely. I have a fast 2GB sandisk card in my camera which I tried out. The fasted times you get though is, if you put the books you read directly on the reader. I worked out a routine that works well for me. I put whatever I want to directly read on the reader. Once it's read and I want to keep it handy, I move it to the card. Collections I have created for the files still work if you just move the files.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Just remember that if you put lots of books on an SD card, it'll take a long time for the reader to index all of that. I found even my class 6 SD card was a lot slower than the internal memory. I don't need every book with me, so I always just use the internal memory. Using an SD card also drains the battery faster, which I didn't like.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
For a PRS-900 you really shouldn't need an SD card, unless you have an incredibly large amount of books on it. I have 1281 books on my reader's internal memory and still have 1G of the 1.6G available still free.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
neekee

Thanks for your opinions everyone! I'll test them out for myself and figure out what I'm going to do.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Try to buy from someplace reputable, as there is a lot of counterfeiting going on, just read a story on this a couple of days ago, but can't find it.

Also, while I never had a bad card, I read one person's viewpoint on brands (which I also can't find after 15 minutes of searching), laying out three tiers of manufacturers. I can't remember all of the brands, but do recall that Sandisk was top tier, and I think also Transcend and Lexar. Maybe Kingston, too. A-Data and PNY 2nd tier, RiData third tier. Who knows if this person was talking out of his hat or not?

I've had Lexar and Kingston and Sony (Memory Stick) in constant daily use, also have had A-Data and PNY for a long time and all have been very reliable. All mine have been properly packaged, and bought in stores or sent from a U.S. address.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
4nefertiti
Enthusiast
4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS900 (daily edition), blackberry
Using the internal PRS900 memory is much faster. However, if you want to make sure everything is backed up, a memory card is the way to go [yes I realize that the books are backed up in the reader or adobe library (or calibre)]. I had my previous reader crash while I was traveling. Since my books were on the sdhc card, I removed it, sent the reader to Sony, and inserted the sd card on my kids reader and I picked up right where I left off in my book.
4nefertiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
there are limited read write cycles on all flash memory. So it's probably better to use replaceable SD cards if you want to maximize the Readers life.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nefertiti View Post
Using the internal PRS900 memory is much faster. However, if you want to make sure everything is backed up, a memory card is the way to go [yes I realize that the books are backed up in the reader or adobe library (or calibre)]. I had my previous reader crash while I was traveling. Since my books were on the sdhc card, I removed it, sent the reader to Sony, and inserted the sd card on my kids reader and I picked up right where I left off in my book.
I have all my books backed up in my Calibre library, which I back up on a DVD periodically and also online. I would never keep the only copy in my reader, either on internal memory or an SD card, because if you lose the reader (or it gets stolen) you've now lost all your books as well.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
neekee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
there are limited read write cycles on all flash memory. So it's probably better to use replaceable SD cards if you want to maximize the Readers life.
That's good to hear. I try to avoid saving things on a device and opt for using a compatible hard drive or card. Speed isn't an issue for me.. so I'll try this option out first.

Thanks everyone! ♥