Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Ronin47
Ronin47 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Delete From library but not from Computer

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is already happening in calibre but, I am looking for an option/plug-in to remove an item from the calibre library but keep a physical copy on the computer.

The example would be i read a book right click remove it, decide to re-read it a few months later and add it to the calibre library.

At the moment i download a book in txt format convert it to mobi in calibre
delete it from calibre, then if i want to re-read i have to re-add and reconvert to calibre.

TIA

Ronin

Last edited by Ronin47; 11-07-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Ronin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
I am not sure if this is already happening in calibre but, I am looking for an option/plug-in to remove an item from the calibre library but keep a physical copy on the computer.
Calibre keeps its own library by copying original books you add. When you delete from calibre, it removes its own copy of the book, but not your original. I suspect you know this, but I'm not sure.
Quote:
The example would be i read a book right click remove it, decide to re-read it a few months later and add it to the calibre library.
It sort of sounds like you want to leave it in the calibre library (calibre's copy) but remove it from the calibre database. You are correct that there is no way to do that now. It would make the database mismatch the library. No one will make a plugin to do that, and it wouldn't be approved if they did. However, there are lots of ways to achieve the equivalent of what you want.

What most people do is mark the book read with a tag. Then you can use a restriction and a saved search so that none of those books appear unless you remove the restriction. If you need help on adding a tag for "read," making and saving a search that shows only unread books and setting that search as a restriction, just ask.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Ronin47

Yeah Starson17 mate that's exactly what i was looking to do.

If there is a thread on the best way to mark books as read using tags etc I would love a link to it cheers

Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
If there is a thread on the best way to mark books as read using tags etc I would love a link to it cheers.

There are so many, I barely know where to start, but for simple purposes -
1) Add tag "read" to each book you've read.
2) Create search:
Code:
not tags:"=read"
3)Save search as "Unread"
4) Create and apply restriction using the saved search:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html#id3

I don't actually do it that way.
I have a custom column text, like tags called: #read. I put my initials in there if I've read it, and my wife's if she's read it, etc. Calibre saves previously entered initials, so it's a bit easier to mark a book this way than adding a tag.
I search in the custom column, not in tags. The rest is the same.

I know there's a nice thread or two about this, but don't recall where they are. Others will jump in I suspect.

Last edited by Starson17; 11-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Ronin47

Cheers i have added a read custom column which i tag with "y" if i have finished the book
then i search for books without the "y" .

Its working so far
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Cheers i have added a read custom column which i tag with "y" if i have finished the book
then i search for books without the "y" .

Its working so far
Great. It sounds a bit like a text column, rather than a yes/no/null column. Either will work fine, although the latter is less likely to have a mistake on entry (you can only choose one of the three options, while a text column will let you enter any text - but is more flexible for tracking multiple users.)
Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Ronin47

i had messed about with the yes/no/null column but it was giving me problems searching for some reason
Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
i had messed about with the yes/no/null column but it was giving me problems searching for some reason
Yes, a yes/no field can be confusing. It has three values, so searching for false only finds empty, not "No" and searching for true finds yes and no records. You have to search for "#field:Yes" to find records marked Yes and "not #field:Yes" to find empty and "No" records.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Ronin47

cheers mate will give it a try