Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #421
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I'm just sick of them tinkering with it in real time. They should have left the original release up--although it had its problems, it is worse now--and fixed everything, TESTED it thoroughly, then do another release.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #422
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Also, I think it's safe to say that most people always want to borrow the book in the same format (epub, kindle, pdf). Most likely the only time they would want a different format is when their preferred format is not available. So why not make that a *user* preference? I could set "I want epubs" in My Account and then I would only see the checkboxes when epub is not available. OR, right by the Download button, it would say "you are downloading: epub. Change" And that would allow me to change to a different format.
Agreed. I think they need a download priority preference. Some books are only available as Kindle/PDF so it would need to be epub/Kindle/PDF the check box is a major improvement but it could be tweaked a bit.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Agreed. I think they need a download priority preference. Some books are only available as Kindle/PDF so it would need to be epub/Kindle/PDF the check box is a major improvement but it could be tweaked a bit.
The big Kindle button proved to me that Overdrive is in bed with Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #424
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The big Kindle button proved to me that Overdrive is in bed with Amazon.
In the last design that button has disappeared (I don't remember if Free Library or Brooklyn), now you get a combo box with all the options.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #425
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Also, I think it's safe to say that most people always want to borrow the book in the same format (epub, kindle, pdf). Most likely the only time they would want a different format is when their preferred format is not available. So why not make that a *user* preference? I could set "I want epubs" in My Account and then I would only see the checkboxes when epub is not available. OR, right by the Download button, it would say "you are downloading: epub. Change" And that would allow me to change to a different format.
How about a language preference selection also. I'm all for libraries adding Spanish, Chinese, or any other language ebooks, but I don't need to wade thru them.

Or the junvenile ebooks either.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #426
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
In the last design that button has disappeared (I don't remember if Free Library or Brooklyn), now you get a combo box with all the options.
Yes, the big Kindle button did go away, but Kindle is at the top of the list. Would have been better to be alphabetic instead. That way, Overdrive would not (still) be showing favoritism.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #427
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, the big Kindle button did go away, but Kindle is at the top of the list. Would have been better to be alphabetic instead. That way, Overdrive would not (still) be showing favoritism.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the percentages are such that Kindle is the most common format anyways, so it makes sense that it would be first. I'm sure they know the numbers, even if we don't get to see them.

(Personally I liked it better with the kindle button, this drop box is really annoying.)
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #428
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
How about a language preference selection also. I'm all for libraries adding Spanish, Chinese, or any other language ebooks, but I don't need to wade thru them.

Or the junvenile ebooks either.
You can't even browse to foreign language books only - and even if you could, they would probably throw them all together, seeing how they "solve" things.

They should have implemented a selection ool like the one on ereaderiq.com: let me include or exclude what I am interested in or not. Poblem solved.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #429
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
One of the libraries I belong to buys a lot of Russian books, but they do it sporadically. I always start with Advanced Search to limit the search to last 7 days and in ePub format. When I get the results, if I see on the left-hand side that the "English" subgroup count doesn't match the total results, I click on it to filter out the languages I can't read.

(Okay, so I took Russian when I was in college - that was more than 20 years ago and I basically remember the curse words now!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #430
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the percentages are such that Kindle is the most common format anyways, so it makes sense that it would be first. I'm sure they know the numbers, even if we don't get to see them.

(Personally I liked it better with the kindle button, this drop box is really annoying.)
Sorry, but ePub is the most common format. There are more programs, apps, Readers out there that handle ePub. Also, there are more people out there reading ePub. The world is a big place and Amazon is not leading the way.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #431
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agree; and if it's not resolved soon, I'm gonna quit using OverDrive until it is. They're not the only source for free books.
They aren't the only source for free books?

I'm tired of signing in twice, one to sign in, then again to check out, and when I switch Libraries (I have 3) it logs me out again saying I logged out!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #432
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
OK, I just had a quirky issue with this... I got three emails tonight (two from FLP and one from one of my local libraries) along the lines of:

What's strange about it is that I already got notified on all of these and checked out the titles mentioned: the FLP ones were from 12/8/12 and 12/9/12 and the local one was from 11/9/12. Even though the email says I was added to the waiting list, I was not on the waiting list for any of the three titles. Looks like the notification system is broken.
Me too! What is wrong with Overdrive!!!!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #433
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Can't log in to FLP any more. Instead of telling me the system is down, it's telling me that the library card does not exist! If at least their error messages made any sense!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #434
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Also, Fairfax refuses to "remember me", though the box is always checked, and I have to newly log in every time now.
You've probably already tried this, but just in case, have you checked the settings on your device to make sure it allows passwords and/or form entries to be saved? When I first got my reader I had something set wrong and it wouldn't remember (that was a long time ago before all the Overdrive changes).

Certainly with all the other Overdrive problems I can believe it's the library's fault now, though.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #435
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Sorry, but ePub is the most common format. There are more programs, apps, Readers out there that handle ePub. Also, there are more people out there reading ePub. The world is a big place and Amazon is not leading the way.
I wonder what the statistics are for books borrowed from Overdrive - kindle vs. epub - I wouldn't know where to look for that info, though.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote