Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
proximus
proximus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I re-did it as you suggested (i.e., wrote the file in XEmacs) but nothing happened. I did it twice. It might be of interest that after the first time, after having entered the USB device mode as usual and entered "diagnostic_logs", the "device_info.xml" file that I had copied there before, isn't there anymore after the first rebooting. I then rebooted it a second time, but this time choosing the "disable diagnostics" option, which apparently is the same as the "reboot" option.
proximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try this:
Put the file on the device ;
Do a "safely remove" for that device on Win ;
Remove the USB connection ;
**Then** try re-booting the Kindle.

(The Kindle can't read the user store while it is mounted on your pc.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
proximus

Didn't work. (I really appreciate the help, thank you ).
Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@proximus: What happens if (with the folder & xml there), you follow the last few steps of the K4 jailbreak (step 5-6)?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #20
Kalja
Kalja began at the beginning.

@geekmaster: had the same problems yesterday several times - your solution didn't work for my K4NTB - so I tried my described solution - it worked...
Kalja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #21
proximus

@NiLuJe & @Kalja: nothing changes, tried a few times your methods.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximus View Post
1)-2) Now I am sure I have a Kindle 4, thank you!
One of the forum moderators was kind enough to fix the prefix tag and topic of this thread to match.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Does the K4B have a different missing file needed to exit diags than the K4S?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Since this (new?) machine is stuck in "Diags" perhaps this would be a good time to get an ATK dump of the main file system?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@proximus: Just to be perfectly clear, what you you mean, exactly, by "nothing's changed"? What actually happens when you try to disable/exit diags through the menus?

@GM: We have multiple reports of success of the JB on K4B, so, no, I don't think so .
Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
proximus

@NiLuJe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0s...g&feature=plcp
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@proximus: Huh. What do you see over USB after using the 'export over usb' thingy?

On a sidenote, that's a K4S, can you check if SSH is working? That might help tremendously if it is .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximus View Post
The video shows that "disable diags" reboots as expected, but still stuck in diags as though ENABLE_DIAGS did not get deleted. That is a new and unexpected behavior.

Try deleting it manually from an exported USB drive.

Also try using MfgTool to see if you can boot to main that way.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The video shows that "disable diags" reboots as expected, but still stuck in diags as though ENABLE_DIAGS did not get deleted. That is a new and unexpected behavior.

Try deleting it manually from an exported USB drive.

Also try using MfgTool to see if you can boot to main that way.
My K3 does not delete the "ENABLE_DIAGS" file either although the diags scripting seems to be written to delete it;
The delete does not happen.
(Most of the "diags" on my K3 is shell scripting, not compiled code.)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #30
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
My K3 does not delete the "ENABLE_DIAGS" file either although the diags scripting seems to be written to delete it;
The delete does not happen.
(Most of the "diags" on my K3 is shell scripting, not compiled code.)
The thread title indicates that this is a K4, which uses a separate boot partition for diags. K3 and K4 diags are quite different. If your ENABLE_DIAGS does not get deleted, then how do you exit diags?