Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #406
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Thanks, I tried these, but yet again - nothing new, same 6 stock fonts. Has anyone had success with Macs, should I try doing these steps through Windows?
It does not matter what "host" is connected to the Kindle "client".

You are doing the steps to what appears as the Kindle's "USB storage area" as seen from the "Host".

From that view:
the directory should be: /fonts
the fonts should be in that directory.
in the top level (as seen in this storage view) the flag name.

Case Matters!
No extensions used in the flag name or directory name!
Ensure you don't have anything adding/hiding extensions to file names.

Try again.

Keep notes (cut and past of commands used into pic or text editor).
Don't just tell us "I followed the directions" - - show us.
The directions might have been misunderstood and we could never know unless you show us.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #407
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
I tried installing the hack yesterday, but I'm having some problems. After I set a font and open a book, my kindle restarts. I've tried uninstalling and installing again, but no luck. It might be when the book has an image (not sure, uninstalled it already). Any suggestions?
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #408
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It does not matter what "host" is connected to the Kindle "client".

You are doing the steps to what appears as the Kindle's "USB storage area" as seen from the "Host".

From that view:
the directory should be: /fonts
the fonts should be in that directory.
in the top level (as seen in this storage view) the flag name.

Case Matters!
No extensions used in the flag name or directory name!
Ensure you don't have anything adding/hiding extensions to file names.

Try again.

Keep notes (cut and past of commands used into pic or text editor).
Don't just tell us "I followed the directions" - - show us.
The directions might have been misunderstood and we could never know unless you show us.
Thanks for this. Please see the attached screenshots (redacted of personal data) of all the steps I undertook in Terminal under OSX to get the font hack going. I have also a directory listing of the fonts directory - no risk of having missing extensions there. Please let me know if you can spot something wrong/incorrect in the whole process...Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 16.24.38.png
Views:	646
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	97893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 18.13.59.png
Views:	382
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	97894  
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #409
alfaifi
alfaifi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Same here..the font is not loaded

I am using Win7 and a jailbroken 5.3.0 KPW

I used Sylvia font attached by Moonraker

I don't need to do the font hack in the original post, right? Because it worked with Moonraker with non jailbroken device.
alfaifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #410
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Try to enter command ;fc-cache , followed by the return "key", into search field on home screen and wait 7-10 minutes (until Kindle kinda "reboots").
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #411
alfaifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Try to enter command ;fc-cache , followed by the return "key", into search field on home screen and wait 7-10 minutes (until Kindle kinda "reboots").
Yes, that solved it and also brought too many fonts. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #412
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaifi View Post
Yes, that solved it and also brought too many fonts. Thanks.
It is not too many fonts. It is some fonts that the Kindle comes with automatically. You still have room for a lot of custom fonts on the PW. Here is a screenshot of my font-selection. The fonts I added myself are: arial, consolas, constantia, georgia, minion, tektron, times, and trebuchet.

You could theoretically add 2 more, but then it is hard to see and push the line spacing and margin buttons at the bottom. All the other fonts that showed up will show up if only USE_ALT_FONTS is there, but no fonts are in fonts folder.

Thanks to the hi-res screen, even Tektron with its fancy and thin serifs looks nice on the screen (edit: well actually they are not serifs, it is a san-serif font, but the "crossing the t" lines are thin and assymetric)

I also got JBPatch on my 5.3.1, that is why the font sizes up top are non-standard.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #413
alfaifi

Ok, i was trying to read some Arabic texts in the kindle but the system Arabic font is very ugly. I tried changing the font, but it only changes the English font keeping that ugly Arabic font there. I think that is because Arabic characters are included in the system font only but not the changeable fonts. Is it possible to change the system font?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_21T21_22_57-0500.png
Views:	524
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	98063  

Last edited by alfaifi; 12-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #414
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaifi View Post
Ok, i was trying to read some Arabic texts in the kindle but the system Arabic font is very ugly. I tried changing the font, but it only changes the English font keeping that ugly Arabic font there. I think that is because Arabic characters are included in the system font only but not the changeable fonts. Is it possible to change the system font?
Thanks to Eureka, I finally got it going! ;fc-cache did the trick, I suggest it is placed in the main instructions for the USE_ALT_FONTS hack.

As for the Arabic fonts (I use Persian) - you need to use proper Unicode TTF fonts, or those supporting the full set of Arabic/Persian script. Beware that they are some quirks, particularly with font size. I suggest using, and experimenting, with JBPatch's font size patch, now available for Paperwhite.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #415
Stino
Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Today I realized that my paperwhite was automatically updated from 5.3.0 to 5.3.1 by amazon.

Well I not like it very much that amazon changes the firmware without inform me and ask me for my affirmation. My god even Apple ask if there is an new firmware and do not install it without asking you. Shame on amazon!

But the biggest problem was that the trick with USE_ALT_FONTS was not longer working. Yes the file was there and fonts too, but the "Aa" menu shows not longer my fonts. I also try this ";fc-cache" command but it not helps. Seems that amazon has removed this.

Than I install the jailbreak and additionally I install the newest JBPatch 3.0.0 from ixtab and after the restart the fonts are back in the A"a" menu. It seems that the java classes of JBPatch still include the old code that reads the USE_ALT_FONTS file. Thanks god for it because using my own fonts is the most important feature of an ebook reader for me. Without it I will not even use my Kindle any longer and go back to my old Sony Reader. I don't understand why amazon try to domineer over their customers?
Stino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #416
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Stinto the restart probably did more to fix it than the ;fc-cache which only restarts the framework. Did you restart after it automatically installed you to 5.3.1? Or was your way to fix it - ;fc-cache - not working - install JB and JBPatch - works? It is entirely possible that the PW on 5.3.1 now only checks on a correct reboot if USE_ALT_FONTS is there or not - and a simple framework restart is not enough? I will go test that out and see what happens.

Edit: Mph that is not it either. Did not try with ;fc-chache, but from restart framework option from JBPatch, and it recognizes a deleting USE_ALT_FONTS and putting it back after the restart of the framework. So restarting only the framework should be enough. Remains a mystery

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-24-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #417
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
@Stinto the restart probably did more to fix it than the ;fc-cache which only restarts the framework. Did you restart after it automatically installed you to 5.3.1? Or was your way to fix it - ;fc-cache - not working - install JB and JBPatch - works? It is entirely possible that the PW on 5.3.1 now only checks on a correct reboot if USE_ALT_FONTS is there or not - and a simple framework restart is not enough? I will go test that out and see what happens.

Edit: Mph that is not it either. Did not try with ;fc-chache, but from restart framework option from JBPatch, and it recognizes a deleting USE_ALT_FONTS and putting it back after the restart of the framework. So restarting only the framework should be enough. Remains a mystery
;fc-cache updates Fontconfig cache, i.e. tells system to rescan fonts folders, including /mnt/us/fonts, and makes found fonts known to system. It does framework restart, but framework restart is required just for updating list of known fonts on Java side (reader program). Full restart is superfluous. USE_ALT_FONTS handling is completely implemented in some part of framework and no other system component is interested in it's existence. Refer to technical details in my original post.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #418
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
;fc-cache updates Fontconfig cache, i.e. tells system to rescan fonts folders, including /mnt/us/fonts, and makes found fonts known to system. It does framework restart, but framework restart is required just for updating list of known fonts on Java side (reader program). Full restart is superfluous. USE_ALT_FONTS handling is completely implemented in some part of framework and no other system component is interested in it's existence. Refer to technical details in my original post.
No offence, but that was prior to 5.3.1 - why the trouble of it working not as easy in 5.3.1 as it did in 5.3.0? Did something change? Some code break that Amazon does not care about?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #419
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stino View Post
Wow! This font hack even works on the new Kindle Paperwhite with firmware 5.3.0.
1.) just plug in the Kindle to your OS
2.) copy an empty file with name USE_ALT_FONTS to root directory of kindle (internally the root device is /mnt/us/)
3.) create an folder "fonts" (/mnt/us/fonts)
4.) copy your fonts to this folder (4 files for each font: Fontname-Regular.ttf, Fontname-Italic.ttf, Fontname-Bold.ttf and Fontname-BoldItalic.ttf)
5.) restart your Kindle and from now on you will see in the "Aa" menu of the standard reader app your own fonts as well

P.S. My Paperwhite is already jailbroken and so I don't know if the jailbreak is necessary for the font hack or not.
Thanks! I managed to get the font hack to work, through some trial and error.

So now I'm a bit confused about the actual steps that work, and hope to clarify. Is it still necessary to use fonthack-1.3.2.zip? I ask because when I copied it into my paperwhite--twice--there was no option to update the kindle. But after doing the steps above, I was able to get new fonts.

Thanks in advance.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #420
Stino
Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Stino can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
First I not even realized that 5.3.1 was installed and fonts were still working. Than I copy a new font family to /mnt/us/fonts and restart my device because I assume new fonts are only detected during starting. But after restart all personal fonts were gone. So I delete the new font family only and do again a restart, but fonts were still gone. Than I try to start the coolreader without success and realized that the jailbreak were not working anymore? Now I checked the firmware version and see that amazon updated it from 5.3.0 to 5.3.1 without asking me. So I try the ";fc-cache" command, than I reboot, nothing. Again this ";fc-cache" command and wait 12 minutes (no automatic reboot happen?) and again I reboot, and again no personal fonts working.

Now I reinstall the jailbreak with all needed steps(a few reboots) and get my coolreader back to running, but the standard reader still not uses personal fonts. Finally I install the JBPatch together with font size hack and after another reboot, I saw all my fonts in "Aa" menu and was happy. I guess the are working now because of the JBPatch. That seems to fix something. For sure I did more than enough reboots. For each font at least one.
Stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks