Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #61
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
The word I dislike most is the barbarous neologism "proactive." It seems to have been coined by analogy with "reactive." We can get along very well without it.

My first runner-up is "closure." This annoying bit of psychobabble has infected ordinary speech so that I now turn on the radio and hear about "road closures."

I also dislike the pathetic euphemism "pass away." We are all going to die. We can't change that by refusing to use the verb. Grow up!

I conclude with an illustration of verbal garbage we can do without:

O.J. Simpson needed closure so he took proactive measures to cause his ex-wife to pass away.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #62
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm with you on both proactive and closure . Pass away I can live with, but it is a euphemism. I mentioned proactive earlier, and I'm jealous that closure wasn't on my list. How does someone find closure when a loved one dies? You don't. You learn to get on with your life. The pain grows less intense with time, but there never comes a time when you don't find yourself wishing you could be with them and talk with them again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #63
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"Talaq" an Arabian name for divorce is used quite liberally. Not in favor of women.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #64
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Never been quite sure about 'indifference'... I guess I could take it or leave it.
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #65
lucasfernan89
Fanatic
lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle
politically correct (politically is bad enough alone.. correct is just the icing on the cake).
lucasfernan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert