Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
paula-t
Edge User

What about the USB cable?

My son lost the USB cable, so I bought a regular miniUSB 5pin-to-USB cable.

I connected the cable to the socket in the Edge and then the other USB plug to my PC.
Nothing happened. Should something have happened?

I thought I could transfer files from the PC to the Edge, mainly books converted to EPUB with Calibre in my PC. I use the Edge for research and I need to transfer lots of documents and articles to it.

I see many of you do this with a miniSD card. I have a small one, maybe 4Gb, which I will try tomorrow, and I plan to get a 16Gb class 10 as soon as I can. For the time being, I am using Dropbox to download from my own stored library, but the process is slow, and you have to download individually as I keep my articles neatly placed in folders by "Author".

So:

1) Is there a way to use the USB cable to transfer e-books and applications from the PC?
2) If so, why doesn't my cable work?
3) If not, what is the purpose of the cable (just recharging?)?
4) Which is the best, fastest and more efficient way to transfer folders with epub books to the Edge Library?

Any suggestions and directions will be welcome.
I have progressed quite much in my first day with Edge, but I feel a bit frustrated with the preliminaries. Guess I have to be patient and be ready for several trials and errors.

Thanks to you all.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

To transfer files from your PC with the USB you need to mount the edge. After you plug it in pull down your window shade bar and choose mount from the messages. You can now access the edge, but, not your SD card. You can drag and drop files or folders to the edge and move them to your SD card after you unmount(eject from PC first then pull down window shade and unmount). You can drag the whole folder of epubs over, then check each one and add to library. After adding to the library you can delete the folder if you don't want to move it to your SD card (and still have the original folder for backup on the PC).

Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
paula-t
Edge User

Thank you, Cheyennedonna.
I have tried what you said, and I even watched the Sync EE webinar, but the problem seems to be with the cable, which is not recognized by the Edge, no matter what kind of PC I switch on the other end (laptop or desktop).

So:

1) Either I bought the wrong cable to replace the original lost one
2) The USB socket in my Edge is defective.

Could any of you tell me please the technical specification of the USB cable "as for dummies", so I can be sure I bought the right one?
I would like to give my two cents to the first option rather than the second one.

Thank you for your kind help!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

There's nothing special about the cable that ships with the eDGe as far as I know. As long as the large USB plug goes into your PC and the small plug goes into your eDGe, it should work as cheyennedonna describes. Possibly the cable itself is defective?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
There's nothing special about the cable that ships with the eDGe as far as I know. As long as the large USB plug goes into your PC and the small plug goes into your eDGe, it should work as cheyennedonna describes. Possibly the cable itself is defective?
This was my first thought, too, Boris. That is, are you using a USB cable with two "big" ends? Or, did you plug a "big" end into your EE's USB port and the small end into a computer? Otherwise, it should work fine.

Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
paula-t
Edge User

No, no, Dr. T.

The trapezoidal small end goes into the EE socket. The "normal" rectangular bigger end goes into the PC USB slot.
But there is no recognition at the EE. No USB icon at the top bar.
Of course, both pc and edge are turned on...
My husband will bring a Motorola 5-pin miniUSB cable he has at his place, and we will try this which he uses with a minihub.

The missing cable has now been found at the place where my son was staying in America, and now I will wait until they send it, just in case there is something "original" in the EE cable which this does not have (maybe a filter inside?)

Some people have reported here that not all cables offer the same performance, and that certain types do not support transfer of files.
My main fear is that the mini USB socket is physically damaged, cross my fingers.

Also: I have windows 7 64 bits both in the laptop and in the pc.
Could this be the problem, meaning recognition issues?

Thanks for your concern and if you come up with any information, please report.
I will update later when I can try other cables.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
STL Droid
Edge User

Have you checked the PC's ability to recognize the edge? I had an issue about a year ago where the drivers for the USB port on my PC were messed up and it didn't recognize my 500Gb portable hard drive.

Try other USB device like a flash drive or portable drive and see if the PC recognizes it.
I went to radioshack, btw, and got a adaptor for my 16Gb microSD card and it connects to the USB port on the computer for transfering larg number of files.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
No, no, Dr. T.

The trapezoidal small end goes into the EE socket. The "normal" rectangular bigger end goes into the PC USB slot.
But there is no recognition at the EE.
That's what I was trying to ask... sorry; not my clearest of questions

I was afraid you had used the wrong cable or the correct cable incorrectly.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
paula-t
Edge User

Thanks everyone!
Used another cable and recognition was immediate.
I am posting a summary of problem and solution separately in case another newbie has trouble with the cable.
You have all been very helpful and friendly!

Paula