Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
Is there a way to change the "sleep" images on my Kindle 3?

Hi all,

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything...wondering if anyone can help me with changing the sleep images on my Kindle 3? I'd just like to get a rotation of something a little more "me"

Thanks,
Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Head up into the Kindle Developer area and view the information on Screensaver Hacks.

Basically you first need to jailbreak the Kindle, then install a Hack which allows you to load your own screensavers into a file. It is a fairly easy process.

I have several - pictures of my kids and a covers from a few favorite books that I opened up in Photoshop and then saved in greyscale images. If you don't wish to create your own there are several websites which have images you can download.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
Thanks very much abookreader!

I will take a look later on today!

Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is also a wiki page on Kindle Screen Saver Hack for all 2.x and 3.x Kindles.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I have a Kindle2 and was quite nervous about bricking my Kindle or w/e by trying to jailbreak it.

Turns out it was fairly painless and my Kindle had zero issues getting the screensaver hack up and working perfectly.

Therefore, I very much recommend it.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
I have a Kindle2 and was quite nervous about bricking my Kindle or w/e by trying to jailbreak it.

Turns out it was fairly painless and my Kindle had zero issues getting the screensaver hack up and working perfectly.

Therefore, I very much recommend it.
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that has bricked their kindles by jailbreaking.
Usually the problem is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Usually the problem is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard...
lol.

I'm no newb to computers by any stretch, but I'm just saying it was near idiot-proof.

Back when I was worried about it, I didn't want to go installing unsupported third-party firmware on a device that cost hundreds of dollars only to have it screw itself and thus have anyone concerned say something to the effect of "oh, umm... you're screwed," as well as have Amazon tell me that I voided the warranty so I must pay them money to get it fixed.

Two things sold it for me really. First, the MR forums are really friendly, helpful and the post on here which linked to the jailbreak had people saying it was painless. Second, Amazon has reportedly been replacing Kindles for free, whether out of warranty or not, apparently without caring much whether the user had hacked it.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
lol.

...snip..
Second, Amazon has reportedly been replacing Kindles for free, whether out of warranty or not, apparently without caring much whether the user had hacked it.
interestingly, I just had to send back a k3 that was jailbroken with custom screensavers and also had Duoken installed...
Amazon never made a single noise.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote