Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Something is preventing custom upgrades on my jailbroken KPW 5.3.1

I've bought a KPW.
It was provided with 5.3.1 firmware
  1. installed the jailbreak
  2. registered the kindle
  3. updated the kindle to 5.3.3
  4. put the device in airplane mode
  5. installed kindlet jailbreak
  6. installed JBPatch
  7. applied the USE_ALT_FONTS hack
  8. ran ;fc-cache

So far, so good.

At this point I tried to install the libfreetype replacement, since one of the fonts I installed was smudged.

I copied the update_libfreetype-6.8.1_install.bin to the root of my device. I went to the settings menu and the "update kindle" entry was grayed. The update*.bin file was no longer in place.

I also tried with usbnetworking which I forgot to install and it also did not work.

It looks like that any *.bin file gets automatically deleted after I unload the kindle from PC.

At this point I tried to downgrade to 5.3.1 again. And it worked.

The jailbreak was still in place but I tried to install it again, and it worked. But when I tried to install anything it did not work, again: grayed menu entry and file deleted.

I also obviously tried to rename the update as update_kindle_5.3.1.bin but it did not work, either.

What the hell is happening?

Last edited by pirl8; 02-26-2013 at 01:47 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What the hell operating system do you have on your PC?

What are the first four characters of your Kindle serial number?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

s/n: B024 ...

Last edited by pirl8; 02-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Check that the files you are trying to install are actually built with support for your device. Download kindletool, run "kindletool extract update_whatever.bin tmp/", and check that your device is listed. If it's not, the software probably is either incompatible, or has not been tested with the PW. You can (at your own risk) try to repack it with "kindletool create ota2 -d pw -C tmp/ update_repacked.bin"

PS: B024 should be standard Kindle Paperwhite Wifi.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
pirl8
Pest

You're right. It's the libfreetype I downloaded from here which is packaged for K5T only.

Now I'll try to repackage it for KPW.
I'm quite sure it works with K5T with firmware 5.3.2. Maybe it does also for KPW 5.3.x.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
You're right. It's the libfreetype I downloaded from here which is packaged for K5T only.

Now I'll try to repackage it for KPW.
I'm quite sure it works with K5T with firmware 5.3.2. Maybe it does also for KPW 5.3.x.
I do not guarantee that this software works on the PW, so you'd really do that at your own risk. And be aware that if you brick your PW, you may brick it for good. ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206767 )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I do not guarantee that this software works on the PW, so you'd really do that at your own risk. And be aware that if you brick your PW, you may brick it for good. ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206767 )
Oh, my.
Thank you for the warning.