Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just ordered Kindle Fire

I just ordered the new Kindle Fire color tablet....

Pre-order here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...indleboards-20
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle Fire Specs

Technical Details

Display 7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.
Size (in inches) 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).

Weight 14.6 ounces (413 grams).

System Requirements None, because it's wireless and doesn't require a computer.

On-device Storage 8GB internal. That's enough for 80 apps, plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Battery Life Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or 802.1X standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

USB Port USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)

Audio 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers.

Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Documentation Quick Start Guide(included in box); Kindle User's Guide (pre-installed on device)

Warranty and Service 1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Kindle is subject to the Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use.

Included in the Box Kindle Fire tablet, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-28-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
I ordered one as well as a kindle touch.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Am I reading correctly that it only has 8GB of storage and no memory card?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That is my understanding. I guess Amazon is trying to prevent the boot from SD card system that allowed the NookColor to be jailbroken. For those who want to buy a Android tablet to hack, the Fire probably want be their choice. But for me who primarily wants it as a reader, the $200 is a great price. After all, my 16GB iPad only has about 4 GB of memory used.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Correct. This is primarily a "cloud reader". The idea is that you'll store your content in Amazon's cloud.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
PamelaMary
Guru
PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That is a great price. I was very surprised. Thanks for the info. and link.
PamelaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I wonder when they will allow reading apps for nook, kobo, and sony?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Correct. This is primarily a "cloud reader". The idea is that you'll store your content in Amazon's cloud.
I guess so. They are really pushing the cloud. But $200 is a fantastic price for that.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
The Kobo app is there.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Good point. I also wonder if they will allow 3rd party eBook apps like CoolReader, FBReader, etc.? I guess I better start browsing the apps available through Amazon and see which will be available for the Fire.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good point. I also wonder if they will allow 3rd party eBook apps like CoolReader, FBReader, etc.? I guess I better start browsing the apps available through Amazon and see which will be available for the Fire.
Several popular full-featured reader apps are there. This is nothing like the B&N app store. But I wonder if they will be available to install on the Fire. Those reader apps could be blocked.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Several popular full-featured reader apps are there. This is nothing like the B&N app store. But I wonder if they will be available to install on the Fire. Those reader apps could be blocked.
That is what I'm thinking too. Amazon only sells their mobi types of eBooks. I'm sure they could care less which app you read it on as long as you buy from their bookstore! But few 3rd party apps, if any, have a decent mobi viewer, and I'm not aware of any that will view AZW or TOPAZ. The ePubs would have to be from other bookstores so all the great apps for ePubs might get blocked. I have no idea what Amazon is planning. I hope they allow the 3rd party reader apps, but even if they don't this should still be a MUCH better reader than the NC.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...but even if they don't this should still be a MUCH better reader than the NC.
Indeed! I'm excited and I'm not even getting one for myself.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I don't think they will block the apps they have in their store. I got Mantano from there. I expect it to work on the KF.

I'm really hoping the Kindle reader on the fire is different from the app that I have on my phone. It's needs improvement. A better font for one and ability to change the background color to more then just white, sepia and black. I need a grey background to read on or I get eye strain.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote