Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've read and reread Sayers, but I think the books would have been better if she hadn't fallen in love with Lord Peter. Busman's Honeymoon was embarrassing.
It's funny you should say that - it's actually one of my favourites .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Name Of The Rose, Umberto Eco
Murder On The Orient Express, Agatha Christie
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #18
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
don't think i have a single favorite crime/mystery novel, but one of my favorites is peter wimsey novel- murder must advertise.

if shibumi counts in this category, chalk me up for that one, as it's one of my all-time favorite books.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #19
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The Name Of The Rose, Umberto Eco
Murder On The Orient Express, Agatha Christie
I agree that The Name of the Rose is very good. (But I wish I could read it in Italian.)

I sort of expected that Christie would figure a lot in this thread, but I have always found her books tedious because of the cardboard characters. I prefer crime fiction that includes characters that are interesting in themselves and not just their situations.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I agree that The Name of the Rose is very good. (But I wish I could read it in Italian.)

I sort of expected that Christie would figure a lot in this thread, but I have always found her books tedious because of the cardboard characters. I prefer crime fiction that includes characters that are interesting in themselves and not just their situations.
Yes, you are right about Agatha Christie, but for me she was the one to invent the detective with funny personal habits that is still one of the trademarks of the genre. I am not sure if this perception is valid, there could have been earlier rolemodels as those by Agatha Christie (Poirot, Miss Marple) but hers seem to be the most influencial ones on the genre.

Or am I mistaken?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
That's one reason that I prefer Dorothy L. Sayers; her characters feel like "real people", rather than Agatha Christie's 2-dimensional ones.

Has anyone read Ngaio Marsh? I haven't read any of her books. How does she compare with Sayers and Christie?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #22
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Marsh is better than Christie IMO but not as good as Sayers. But she comes across as having a nice quirky personality.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's funny you should say that - it's actually one of my favourites .
Cheers, Harry! That's what makes a horse race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
don't think i have a single favorite crime/mystery novel, but one of my favorites is peter wimsey novel- murder must advertise.
Murder Must Advertise, without Mary Sue Vane, is my favorite, also.

Of Sayers, Christie and Marsh, can I put in a plug for Josephine Tey?

Last edited by issybird; 06-27-2011 at 08:11 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #24
DMB
Old Git

I like Murder must Advertise but I am also very fond of the The Nine Tailors. She writes so beautifully about East Anglia.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
That's one reason that I prefer Dorothy L. Sayers; her characters feel like "real people", rather than Agatha Christie's 2-dimensional ones.

Has anyone read Ngaio Marsh? I haven't read any of her books. How does she compare with Sayers and Christie?
I've been "reading" Ngaio Marsh through Audible.com, and enjoying them immensely. Sadly, there are no eBook versions.

Is she as good as Sayers? No, but certainly better than Christie, IMO.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Of Sayers, Christie and Marsh, can I put in a plug for Josephine Tey?
Certainly! And should get a vote, though I'd have to say Sayers still tops her. And how about Margery Allingham? I find Campion and Lugg still compelling today, and wish I could have them in eBook.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've been "reading" Ngaio Marsh through Audible.com, and enjoying them immensely. Sadly, there are no eBook versions.
There are - at least in the UK. All her books are available at Amazon, and I'd guess other suppliers too.

I'll have to give them a go.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #28
DMB
Old Git

Unfortunately, Allingham's books are still not available in eformat. I expect they will become available though.

One book I would love to get for my Kindle is Landscape with Dead Dons by Robert Robinson. It was published in the early 1960s and resuscitated in paperback format about 5 years ago. I bought several copies of the new issue, but I didn't have an ereader then...

British people may remember Robert Robinson as a witty and erudite broadcaster, now apparently retired. Landscape with Dead Dons contains the funniest scene I have ever come across in a crime novel. I suppose it would be hard to make a case for it as the best crime novel of all time, but for me it is certainly the most entertaining.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
There are - at least in the UK. All her books are available at Amazon, and I'd guess other suppliers too.

I'll have to give them a go.
There are some interesting parallels between Marsh & Sayers - in that both have their protagonist fall hopelessly in love with a seemingly unattainable woman - whom they meet as a potential suspect in a murder case. The courtship & marriage figure largely in both authors' series.

Marsh sets many books in the theater world, using her personal experience in stage productions in New Zealand in her plotting. Many novels feature actors - lying/acting during a murder investigation.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
What's interesting about the recommendations so far is that the majority are of women writers writing "cozy" mysteries set in the milieu of upper class England in the 1920s and 30s.What is it about this type of mystery that remains so attractive today?
Is it the mileu-the quirky characters, the aristocratic setting, the language?
Is it the plotting?
Is it that these writers are so superior?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote