Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
kab
Edge User

Question copy and paste with image pdf

Just a quick question while I'm trying to do proper work on my edge: I have an image based pdf in my library and I would like to copy sth from it, like a text snippet. I think adobe and preview on the mac do this automatically when there is no text layer - it's like a little screen grab. When I try this on the edge, I can use the selection tool and mark a box and press copy, but I can't seem to paste anywhere. I tried to paste in the journal, docs to go and as a note attached (but attaching notes don't work on image pdfs anyway I think). So, where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
devseev
Edge User

If I am understanding correctly what you are trying to do, then I think you want to use the camera icon on the e-ink screen. It will copy part (or all of) the page displayed on the e-ink side into an application on the LCD side. You can save the resulting image to the library using the + button. It will save as a BMP image file, which you can then export from the library, attach it to other documents, etc.

Looks like the image viewer on the LCD side with which the e-ink camera button interacts is pretty rudimentary, unfortunately. Would be nice to be able to manipulate the image or save it into various formats directly from that, rather than having to go through the library.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
kab
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post
If I am understanding correctly what you are trying to do, then I think you want to use the camera icon on the e-ink screen. It will copy part (or all of) the page displayed on the e-ink side into an application on the LCD side. You can save the resulting image to the library using the + button. It will save as a BMP image file, which you can then export from the library, attach it to other documents, etc.
Thanks - I got as far as using the camera to take a snapshot, but then didn't know how to save it. This will do for the time being. I suppose what I would really like is a kind of "copy and paste" option (for text-layer pdfs AND image pdfs) that would go straight to the journal ap and add info like "Smith, 'The Technologically adept Academic', p.17" and then the text snippet, and then my hand-written notes underneath (which of course would be converted to text while syncing to the desktop ). Dreaming big here...

Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
devseev
Edge User

Sounds like that vaporware "MS Courier" I agree all that would be cool, but probably much harder to actually do than to just doctor up a visual animation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU

Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
kab
Edge User

Thumbs up

thanks, Boris - I'll go and try it right now!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
kab
Edge User

That sounds great! Though I do prefer handwriting because I'm such a crap-tastic typist...

So I tried linking the journal and it works perfectly! But I just tried saving a page with highlighted text passage, a note and journal link as a PDF - only the highlight came across, or was 'usable' in "documents to go". The word that has the journal file linked to it was highlighted in a different colour. Is this a limitation of "documents to go" or do the scribbled journal entries get lost in transmission?

I'm pretty sure I can send a journal page to pdf, and I assume would get an image pdf. That would do for the time being, but it would be nice if I could keep the links somehow...(or paste the quote from the text, which also doesn't work with text PDFs). Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed with my Edge, maybe a little finicky while I'm trying to optimise my work flow I love all the possibilities it's opened up, and so my expectations seem to be rising...

Thanks for all your efforts in this forum Boris, you're a gem!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
kab
Edge User

thanks for clearing this up!

it's funny - I wanted my ereader to work like paper (just better) and so it does it's exactly how I would work on paper: note page number and text reference, then comment
this is certainly not a big deal - I can just give the text PDF and the journal PDF similar names like Smith_2000_txt and Smith_2000_jnl, save them in the same folder, problem solved. I'd rather have the pasting text snippets (either image or plain text) in the journal function and handwriting recognition than linked journals.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab View Post
...But I just tried saving a page with highlighted text passage, a note and journal link as a PDF - only the highlight came across, or was 'usable' in "documents to go". The word that has the journal file linked to it was highlighted in a different colour.

...do the scribbled journal entries get lost in transmission?
Unfortunately, everything seems to get lost.

I opened a pdf text file with TOC, bookmarks and notes/comments and hilites that were created in Acrobat Pro 8, and the TOC and other linked bookmarks showed up and worked on the LCD side, as expected. Very useful feature. But my notes and comments that were created in acrobat aren't accessible. They appear in the TOC as bookmarks and the links are live, but on the reader side all that carried across was the hilited text without access to the existing pdf notes/comments.

I continued to experiment with creating notes and annotations on the eDGe, (I really like what you CAN do, btw.) but soon discovered that the pdf export feature exports an image pdf. What's that about? So now, all of the previously existing functionality in the original file is gone (TOC, bookmarks, notes and comments are stripped) because none of those features work in an image based file – unless, of course, you have a hidden text layer, but then, that is also stripped if you export to pdf on the eDGe. The access to the notes created on the eDGe is lost as well.

EDIT
Quote:
Please see this thread for an update on this.
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-Functionality

Quote:
To work with these linkages seamlessly you'll have to stick with using the eDGe.
I realize you are talking about journal entries here (and I am not), but it looks like this is the only way to maintain information added in the eDGe.

Basically, Entourage is taking the 'portable document format' and making it 'non-portable'! And that's a 'deal-breaker' for me, unfortunately. I have to be able to move my pdf's around, without losing 99% of their function and all of my hard work.

EDIT
Quote:
A big apology on my part, here. After corresponding with Entourage and doing some research, it seems that it is Adobe that is responsible. Go figure, but somehow, not too surprising! Sorry Entourage.
It's a shame, really, because, to the extent that I have played with the gadget, I really like it.

What department (or who) should I communicate with regarding whether these issues can be corrected via updates? Or whether they can't. Entourage has a two week return policy and I am at the beginning of the second week. If they are planning updates that can correct these problems, I would need some assurances from them.

EDIT
Quote:
I will be keeping my eDGe. I don't think I will find what I'm looking for in any ereader. I think Adobe has the industry pretty much wrapped up... or should I say, "bound up." But, then again, I may be wrong about that, too.

Last edited by aidren; 04-22-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Update

Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
kab
Edge User

aidren - would you let us know what they tell you? I too would like to see these features added, even if for the time being, I'm quite happy with the features as they are.

I'll have to try setting up my email properly, so I can send those PDFs - I would really like to try if Evernote would manage to make the journal PDFs searchable...and what happens if I re-OCR my annotated PDFs.

EDIT: After a first couple of tests I can CONFIRM that Evernote is able to search inside a Journal page, if it has been saved as an image (.png) via the little camera icon and the lcd screen. now this is VERY handy I think! So far Evernote has not managed to search inside exported PDFs or Journal pages exported as PDF, but maybe it's still stuck in the ocr cue, I'm not sure. I suppose f it doesn't work by tomorrow, it's not gonna happen. Let's hope for the best.

EDIT: Apparently searching within image PDFs is only for Premium users of Evernote. oh well.

Last edited by kab; 04-20-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
aidren - would you let us know what they tell you? I too would like to see these features added, even if for the time being, I'm quite happy with the features as they are.
kab

See my edits to my post above and my subsequent posts in Feature Requests/PDF Functionality

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-Functionality

Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
kab
Edge User

thanks aidren! Ive read the other thread and it makes sense (somewhat anyway...). I seem to remember that there are various other pdf 'readers' generally available, at least there's lots of talk about them on the pocketbook forum on mobileread. I think on the pocketbook they can choose between adobe and a 'free' pdf-viewer/renderer when opening a pdf. pocketbook ereaders run on linux though, so I guess that particular reader won't be compatible with the edge. But, theoretically speaking, something like this should be possible for the edge, no? Oh, hang on, I guess all the annotation funciton are build ontp of the adobe viewer...hmmmm....*smoking brain*

Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
drwoood
Edge User

I would also like to be able to copy to the journal - in particular I would like to be able to copy directly from the document that I am reading into the journal; or I would like to be able to copy images into the journal (which would allow me to copy from the document into the journal, but would be more time consuming). For example, it would be great if I could copy an equation from an article that I am reading into a journal, and then I would be able to explore it in the journal. Having to remember the equation and write it into the journal is unsatisfactory.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Dellaster
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
drwood - keep in mind that double-clicking the Camera toolbar icon will display the current eBook page on the LCD side.
Whoa! I didn't know this; didn't see this on any of the videos. Very useful shortcut for selecting the whole screen. Thanks, borisb!